Acetone .. is using it healthy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackjack

Reaction score
One of my clients popped into the chemist to purchase some Acetone to remove her nails and was told by the chemist that they had removed it all from the shelves and were no longer stocking it as the goverment was going to ban the use of it ! For the reasons known that it can cause not only liver damage but cancer of the lung and liver through inhalation.

Has anyone heard or know anything about these recent changes ?

Jo x

no but sounds scary.

HI, no never heard anything like that at all, gosh I use loads of acetone when I take out hair extensions :eek: I cannot help but inhale it mask or no mask its there ,
mmm that means big company's who use this product could be in dire straights as acetone is a major ingredient of some nail products .

also if people were harmed through these problems it would be terrible ,

America is usually well ahead of the UK and Ive not heard of them withdrawing acetone
any American geeks heard anything ?
I love my acetone I do hope its not this bad :hug: x

How strange is this thread, last night I went to soak off my gel polish and instead of doing it with cotton and foil I used a bowl filled with some acetone and soaked it.

I woke up with this nasty cough this morning and my chest feels weird....hmmmm!! I did notice the smell a lot more then when I use the tin foil method.

I believe the reason they have taken soak off products off the shelves is because of solvent abuse....not because of professional nail removal.

People buy it and sniff it for a buzz.....it's a very strong solvent at the end of the day.....and that's what the overexposure warnings are referring to...sudden death is another when talking about solvent abuse....not soaking off nails or removing hair extensions.

I mean buzzing it .... in the old days it was glue sniffing, Tippex thinners (Tippex is now water based as a result of sniffing)....it isn't a reflection on our industry, it's a reflection on the way this country is going.

They still sell it behind the pharmacy counter, but you may need an interview with the pharmacist and show him/her your nails before they will sell it to you.....quite right!

I've read in "nail structure and product chemestry" recently that acetone is the most common and safe solvent in nature right after water

it's not a quote but that's how I understanded it

I hope acetone will not be banned and that's just a gossip simmilar to those that goverments want to ban the L&P :confused:

I'm in Canada and I've not heard of it being removed off the shelves....:rolleyes:

I'm in the States and I have never heard anything about taking acetone away. We can still get it just about anywhere. I wonder if they will take it off the shelves at the hardware stores over there.

I believe the reason they have taken soak off products off the shelves is because of solvent abuse....not because of professional nail removal.

People buy it and sniff it for a buzz.....it's a very strong solvent at the end of the day.....and that's what the overexposure warnings are referring to...sudden death is another when talking about solvent abuse....not soaking off nails or removing hair extensions.

I mean buzzing it .... in the old days it was glue sniffing, Tippex thinners (Tippex is now water based as a result of sniffing)....it isn't a reflection on our industry, it's a reflection on the way this country is going.

They still sell it behind the pharmacy counter, but you may need an interview with the pharmacist and show him/her your nails before they will sell it to you.....quite right!

Well cathie! this makes far more sense then any other reason... As with anything its how you use it.. not that you do.. Acetone is safe if used under apropriate saftey measures.. Chemists... Hardware, even supermarkets are cracking down on what they stock for public sale.. and im sure if you spoke with your chemist you will still be able to get it...
My Paint supplier has taken all spray cans off the shelves and now can only be bought with a trade certificate or account.. because of inhalation and graffiti issues..

Cathie is , as per usual, spot on with what she says.

They have limited the sale of Acetone for years in chemists just for the reasons Cathie lists.

They are not going to ban Acetone for professional use. It is a perfectly safe solvent.

As with anything however, you need to use it with caution.

If soaking off nails in a bowl, COVER THE BOWL AND HANDS with a towel to avoid breathing in the vapours. This is common sense really and is taught in the soak off procedure (if taught correctly).

I had to explain to the pharmacist why I wanted it and even then he would only sell me 2x 100ml bottles. Said next time to come back with my certificates. Bit of a surprise after it being available in 1 liter sizes and up from my supplier in Oslo but reading what Cathie said it all makes sense. Having had a solvent addicted boyfriend in my teens it makes me curl up inside to think of it now!

I understand that Acetone is a carcenogenic (causes cancer) but only if you are over exposed and don't follow COSHH guidelines - in the same way that not following a correct hygiene, ventillation and application procedure would put you at risk of over exposure to L&P or any other product for that matter - leaving you permanently allergic

I too had a run in with a chemist who told me that Acetone is used in the production of ecstacy and so therefore they were not permitted to sell it and getting some would be incredibly difficult - I live in Ireland. I've also heard that solvent abuse is another major reason for restricting the sale of Acetone - I've even heard that one chemist told a colleague of mine that people drink it in suicide attempts.

Saying all of this, it won't put me off using acetone as like everything it's perfectly safe in the right hands.

Latest posts

Back