acetone,lifting,cracking!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natc

Reaction score
Hi i need abit of advise. i did a course in acrylic and they told me that acetone is one of the best way to dehydrate the natural nail plate before application of acrylic is this true? also how do you deal with cracking and lifing when doing infills? whould you remove and replace the nail or how would you fix it? thanks!

hi can i ask who did you train with? i am just nosy :biggrin:

dee said:
hi can i ask who did you train with? i am just nosy :biggrin:
I just did a one day training course at a salon in my area called elegant nails can you help?

natc said:
Hi i need abit of advise. i did a course in acrylic and they told me that acetone is one of the best way to dehydrate the natural nail plate before application of acrylic is this true? also how do you deal with cracking and lifing when doing infills? whould you remove and replace the nail or how would you fix it? thanks!
To be honest, i'm sorry to say that if you are asking the questions you are asking then your training isnt sufficient. Acetone should not be used to dehydrate the nail before product is applied. There are specific dehydrators (such as Scrubfresh) which are used for this purpose that have sanitising agents in them. As far as lifting is concerned when doing infills the product has to be filed away and new product applied. Depending on how much lift, you would not necessarily need to completely soak off the product and start again.

Carole Lindsay said:
To be honest, i'm sorry to say that if you are asking the questions you are asking then your training isnt sufficient. Acetone should not be used to dehydrate the nail before product is applied. There are specific dehydrators (such as Scrubfresh) which are used for this purpose that have sanitising agents in them. As far as lifting is concerned when doing infills the product has to be filed away and new product applied. Depending on how much lift, you would not necessarily need to completely soak off the product and start again.
Thanks for your help i felt the same way about the training as well they we not very professional at all but i have tryed to figure alot of things out for myself by researching books and asking other technitions. I thought that was how i delt with lifting but wasn't postive! thanks again!

I was taught to use acetone to dehydrate the nail plate and then I went on the creative conversion course and learnt more in those few hours than I ever learnt in my two day nail tech course! I couldn't believe there was so much that I was never told! I wish I had come on this site before deciding what courses to do as I would have trained with creative to start off with...

natalie day said:
I was taught to use acetone to dehydrate the nail plate and then I went on the creative conversion course and learnt more in those few hours than I ever learnt in my two day nail tech course! I couldn't believe there was so much that I was never told! I wish I had come on this site before deciding what courses to do as I would have trained with creative to start off with...
Thanks i wish i had as well, how much was your conversion course have you got the number!

The number is 0113 2755719, thats the Academy Sales office in Leeds and you can find your nearest academy through them. I think the conversion course was £75ish, around that figure anyway and you get a starter kit as well. It was well worth it and I will definately be doing some more training with creative, maybe even some one-to-ones!

natalie day said:
The number is 0113 2755719, thats the Academy Sales office in Leeds and you can find your nearest academy through them. I think the conversion course was £75ish, around that figure anyway and you get a starter kit as well. It was well worth it and I will definately be doing some more training with creative, maybe even some one-to-ones!
thanks nat!

Hi

The actual conversion course if FREE with the cost of the kit (£67.50 + VAT)!! Which is great news!!

Acetone will dehydrate the nail plate - however if you use a dehydrator that leaves pathogen fighters behind on the nail plate - then even better. This will guard your clients against bacterial infections.

All will be explained on the course!!

As for lifting - then ask - there is a fantastic way to remove lifting which involves filing below the lifting (actually on top of product that is still adhered). This way the lifting just falls away. Ask the educator to show you how.

Good Luck
Amanda x

Mandini said:
Hi

The actual conversion course if FREE with the cost of the kit (£67.50 + VAT)!! Which is great news!!

Acetone will dehydrate the nail plate - however if you use a dehydrator that leaves pathogen fighters behind on the nail plate - then even better. This will guard your clients against bacterial infections.

All will be explained on the course!!

As for lifting - then ask - there is a fantastic way to remove lifting which involves filing below the lifting (actually on top of product that is still adhered). This way the lifting just falls away. Ask the educator to show you how.

Good Luck
Amanda x
Thanks for the advise! do you have to have done their foundation course or be fully qualified to do the coversion course cuz im sure i read that in there brocure. I have a vtct qualification in gel nails and have only done a one day training in acrylic with a salon in my area will this be ok?

You do have to be qualified in a liquid and powder system before you can do Creative's L & P conversion. However, find out who is your nearest Creative educator and get them to come and assess you as you probably know quite a bit already, then they can enrol you on the course. Give Designer Nails a call 0113 216 2990 and ask for EDUCATION.

Mandini said:
You do have to be qualified in a liquid and powder system before you can do Creative's L & P conversion. However, find out who is your nearest Creative educator and get them to come and assess you as you probably know quite a bit already, then they can enrol you on the course. Give Designer Nails a call 0113 216 2990 and ask for EDUCATION.
Thanks for that!

natc said:

Hi Natc,

Acetone is not recommended for dehydrating the natural nail plate before enhancement application as it may leave a residue on the nail (Doug Schoon advised me of this) which may prevent adhesion.

The number one cause of lifting is improper prep. Check through all your prep steps- and I recommend using the steps Creative Nail Design recommends-

PREP- Use CND Cuticle Remover to eliminate cuticle from the nail plate.
Apply a small amount liberally to the base of all ten nails.
Slide a metal cuticle pusher gently to loosen the cuticle.
Use a curette to gently remove the cuticle from the nail plate up to, but not beyond, the eponychium and lateral edge. Be sure to check all the way around the nail plate along the cuticle line and lateral walls for any thin transparent tissue that might be hiding! This non-living tissue contains oil and moisture that could act as a barrier between the nail plate and product.
Use nippers to carefully remove any loose pieces of non-living cuticle or hangnails.
Rinse thoroughly and towel dry.

Use a Kanga Board to shape and smooth the free edge of the nail. When tipping, gently round off the corners of the nail to match the fit at the tip contact area. If sculpting on a form, leave corners more square for best form fit at sidewalls.

REMOVE SHINE- Use a 240 grit buffer to lightly remove the shine from the surface of the nail plate in the direction of the nail growth.
Remove the dust particles with a dry, sanitized nail brush.

PURIFY NAIL PLATE LAYERS- Use Scrub Fresh with a fiber-free pad to cleanse the nails. Pull the lateral folds back with your fingers and scrub the nails with the pad, concentrating on the cuticle and lateral walls where oil and dust can hide. Scrub as though you were removing red enamel from the nail plate (5 seconds each nail).

The causes of cracking may be: incorrect mix ratio (too wet/too dry), over filing the natural nail plate, product contamination, nipping/drilling/heavy abrasives...

Your method of dealing with a lifted and/or cracked nail will vary- lifting can be remedied by removing the entire area of lift by beveling an abrasive above the area of lift, creating a 'seam' along the lift and lifting the product away from the nail plate gently with a cuticle pusher or orangewood stick.

For cracks- you need to bevel into the crack - a "v" shape-- all the way down to the natural nail plate (be cautious to not 'over file' and damage the nail plate), and apply fresh product.

I wish you the best of luck- hope this helps!

Thanks alot for your help, Im new to the site but have found it very helpful. Iam a qualified beauty therapist but i enjoy doing make up and nails alot more than the therapies, i have done gel nails in beauty therapy and a one day training course in acrylic at a local salon. I have tryed to keep up my practiceing by doing friends and family but iam finding it quite hard to get models. I want to start up mobile but i dont want to start advertising yet because im worried that if i do and my nails arn't up to scratch then i will ruin my reputation what is the best way of practicing without damaging my rep, i thought about getting a nail trainer or charge a discounted price for the nail sets. What would you suggest? any advise will help!

natc said:
Thanks alot for your help, Im new to the site but have found it very helpful. Iam a qualified beauty therapist but i enjoy doing make up and nails alot more than the therapies, i have done gel nails in beauty therapy and a one day training course in acrylic at a local salon. I have tryed to keep up my practiceing by doing friends and family but iam finding it quite hard to get models. I want to start up mobile but i dont want to start advertising yet because im worried that if i do and my nails arn't up to scratch then i will ruin my reputation what is the best way of practicing without damaging my rep, i thought about getting a nail trainer or charge a discounted price for the nail sets. What would you suggest? any advise will help!

Glad to help, anytime!! Regarding practice----

I would definitely recommend the Nail Trainer- I have one myself, and it comes in handy... great for all types of practice!! No matter WHEN you want to practice--- it's ready for you! :D Tell them at Gina Wallace Enterprises I recommended you! And if Gina Wallace calls you (as she called me shortly after my order arrived), tell her I said hello!!

I wouldn't recommend 'discounting' your prices on services--- your work on your clients hands/nails is your 'free advertising' / 'calling card'--- it speaks about you..............

Also, even at a discount, you don't want clients spreading the word that you're practicing on them-- I'm not much for the idea of 'practicing on a paying client' - discounted or not--- UNLESS they are family or EXTREMELY close friends....... who will speak highly of your talents no matter what.....

Just my honest opinion-------

Your work is your reputation--- and speaks for itself!

Grab a Nail Trainer--- and have fun practicing!!!

MissNailPro said:
Glad to help, anytime!! Regarding practice----

I would definitely recommend the Nail Trainer- I have one myself, and it comes in handy... great for all types of practice!! No matter WHEN you want to practice--- it's ready for you! :D Tell them at Gina Wallace Enterprises I recommended you! And if Gina Wallace calls you (as she called me shortly after my order arrived), tell her I said hello!!

I wouldn't recommend 'discounting' your prices on services--- your work on your clients hands/nails is your 'free advertising' / 'calling card'--- it speaks about you..............

Also, even at a discount, you don't want clients spreading the word that you're practicing on them-- I'm not much for the idea of 'practicing on a paying client' - discounted or not--- UNLESS they are family or EXTREMELY close friends....... who will speak highly of your talents no matter what.....

Just my honest opinion-------

Your work is your reputation--- and speaks for itself!

Grab a Nail Trainer--- and have fun practicing!!!
Thanks where is the best place to get a nail trainer

In the Uk you can purchase direct from Essential Nails or Designer Nails distributes them also at the same price as the manufacturer. 0113 275 5719 and ask for the customer Care/order department.

Latest posts

Back