Acetone Poisoning??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Chick

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this? I've done a quick search on here but haven't found anything.

A nail tech at a local hairdresser's was telling me she'd heard of someone in America who had frequently soaked off her extensions/enhancements with acetone which had damaged her liver. Pretty scary if it's true.

not heard of it but I have just completed 3 days of creative training and we were advised you should soak of nails a max of 4 times per year otherwise it could lead to over exposure this in turn could lead to an allegy to acitone. That could be what has happened in this case??!

Has anyone heard of this? I've done a quick search on here but haven't found anything.

A nail tech at a local hairdresser's was telling me she'd heard of someone in America who had frequently soaked off her extensions/enhancements with acetone which had damaged her liver. Pretty scary if it's true.
sounds like she must have been drinking it neat then tut tut

Does changing the brand of acetone help or is acetone just acetone? Oh please don't let that be a stupid question....:cry:

From what I've been made to understand, this is an old fear. It's what techs used to think.
But apparently, it's not true. Kind of like an industry 'myth' I guess.

If acetone was that dangerous.. don't you think more techs would have liver problems from all the years of removing nail polish from their client's fingers?? After all, handling the sodden cotten balls exposes us to it as well.....
how many of you wear latex/rubber gloves when using acetone on your clients?

not heard of it but I have just completed 3 days of creative training and we were advised you should soak of nails a max of 4 times per year otherwise it could lead to over exposure this in turn could lead to an allegy to acitone. That could be what has happened in this case??!

In that case, hopefully the Bio soak-off solution isn't just acetone by another name.

In that case, hopefully the Bio soak-off solution isn't just acetone by another name.
it will be acetone based with maybe a moisturisor to prevent drying the nail plate ( I think) have a look on the bottle.

If acetone was that dangerous.. don't you think more techs would have liver problems from all the years of removing nail polish from their client's fingers?? After all, handling the sodden cotten balls exposes us to it as well.....
how many of you wear latex/rubber gloves when using acetone on your clients?

Der!! I never thought of that - just ran out of the hairdresser's panicing. Maybe she was trying to put me off so she could steal my clients:lol:

Hi Victoria, how are you hunny!

I have used gloves taking off polish using straight up acetone but found it ate through the vinyl gloves. So now I just use a cotton pad between my fingers and take it off this way.

Well if that were the case my ex would have been dead...He came in one day and I was doing my sister-in-law's nails, we had some vodka on the other table, and I had some of my acetone in a teacup...bet you can already see where this is headed, he came through the door thinking that is was a cup of vodka and before I could say anything he guzzled it :eek: Luckily, he had the presence of mind to spit most of it out!!!

Acetone in a teacup...I know :smack:

I have used gloves taking off polish using straight up acetone but found it ate through the vinyl gloves. So now I just use a cotton pad between my fingers and take it off this way.

If you use Nitrile gloves (search on Nitrile on here there's loads on them) this won't happen. They are widely avaiable at most wholesalers and chemists.

I have looked at the attached thread (probably not well enough) and cant seam to find the answer to the original question. Is acetone dangerous or not?!?!?!

I can see the advantages of product remover (not as drying on the skin etc) but is there any more danger with acetone?

Quoted from Nail Structure and Product chemistry (edition 2) By Doug Schoon

"Acetone is one of the most important solvents in the world. Except for water itself, acetone is one of the safest solvents that nail technicians use!

In the case of acetone it is almost impossible for dangerous amounts to penetrate the skin. Unless you soak you fingers every day in a bowl of acetone for long periods, it is very unlikely to cause serious harm or damage. It is pretty hard to become overexposed.

Acetone does NOT cause cancer. Under normal salon use conditions, it is not considered to be dangerous to the liver, kidneys or blood. The only way it could cause these types of problems is if massive long-term overexposure occurs- the kind of overexposure that's extremely unlikely in the salon.
Nail technicians need not worry about suffering internal injury from Acetone."

If you do not have this book, I strongly urge you to buy a copy. It answers more questions, and shatters more myths than you can imagine!

Quoted from Nail Structure and Product chemistry (edition 2) By Doug Schoon

"Acetone is one of the most important solvents in the world. Except for water itself, acetone is one of the safest solvents that nail technicians use!

In the case of acetone it is almost impossible for dangerous amounts to penetrate the skin. Unless you soak you fingers every day in a bowl of acetone for long periods, it is very unlikely to cause serious harm or damage. It is pretty hard to become overexposed.

Acetone does NOT cause cancer. Under normal salon use conditions, it is not considered to be dangerous to the liver, kidneys or blood. The only way it could cause these types of problems is if massive long-term overexposure occurs- the kind of overexposure that's extremely unlikely in the salon.
Nail technicians need not worry about suffering internal injury from Acetone."

If you do not have this book, I strongly urge you to buy a copy. It answers more questions, and shatters more myths than you can imagine!

THANKS for posting this. I have this book and love it.. and had earlier thought to myself "seems to me doug schoon had something to say on the subject" but couldn't remember what....

Thanks!

Your welcome

Fear and fear marketing is just plain wrong in my opinion!!

Latest posts

Back