Acetone proof gloves for Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChloeSaharaSun

Reaction score
Hi girls. Having a bit of a nightmare when it comes to soaking off shellac with the wraps! Not for the clients but for me and my staff. We all sport the shellac look as it helps us to sell it, however we come across a problem when it comes to us removing clients shellac as even when we wear gloves the acetone seems to seep through the gloves (have tried all different kinds) but it damage our nails! Obviously not ideal as this is wasting money and not a great example to clients when we are trying to sell this 'power polish'. I love the product just get annoyed with the removal! Any suggestions about how to stop this from happening? I am even considering going getting marrygolds! Thanks in advance xxxxxto

Nitrile gloves work perfectly, they sell them in Sallys. I noticed that Latex gloves do not stand up to acetone.

Personally, I only use gloves when I'm soaking off extensions and using a soak bowl.

For Gelish and Gelicure I use D-Solve in a pump dispenser and somehow I never get it on my own nails. I place a small piece of cotton wool on the pump with my middle finger, press and remove with my finger and thumb. Only my skin is in contact with the cotton wool and not my nails.

You could use Glaze and Go on your nails as it is resistant to acetone and its works perfectly.
x

Someone pointed me in the direction of st johns ambulance for nitrile gloves .... they seem to be the best price and good quality

i find liquids do go through the nitrile gloves though but still handy for some protection if you need it

however ... having moved from lint free pads / silver foil method (where the acetone would come through the pad onto my finger/nails) to the magi wraps i no longer wear gloves for shellac removals. i use the acetone straight from the bottle, turn upside down couple of times to soak the pad on the magi wrap then place and wrap clients nail

the money you are spending on the gloves would be better spent on the magi wraps, if not already using them

hope this helps you as much as is did me

kx

Nitrile gloves do the trick for me! No melting :)
I did have vinyl gloves which just disintegrated within seconds of touching acetone.

I have some black "tattooist" gloves which are nice and comfortable :D
Xxx

Sorry don't know if I'm just being dumb but what is glaze and go? Thanks girls I will try nitrile gloves! No need for marrygolds!

glaze n go is by NSI, it's the top coat (or base coat if you are applying colour nail polish) for their acrylics. Stops the acrylics being porous and lifting.

just found some of these gloves on amazon for around £6 (100 in box) is this a good price??? might have to get some for the odd use x

I tried Glaze n Go over Shellac.

It was fine for 2/3 days then cracked and looks like an old vase.

I can't bear gloves, I've found Geeg's way of holding the pads very useful and if all else fails I'll just redo my right hand thumb, index and middle after a week

Love Shellac though

Ye I think that's a pretty good price they can be quite expensive in Sally's. X

You could use Glaze and Go on your nails as it is resistant to acetone and its works perfectly.
x

Glaze 'n Go is a NSI gel sealant/top and Shellac is CND, I would not recommend mixing the 2 products as this changes the Shellac service to a messers service.

It is ALWAYS advisable to not mix products unless the manufacturer says it's ok to use another brands products but CND do not advocate this, so it's best to stick with the full Shellac system.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Glaze 'n Go and am a full NSI product user, I just feel it's better to not mix brands.
If CND felt that a gel sealant/top coat was suitable to be used with Shellac in place of or in addition to the Shellac top coat, I'm sure they would be saying so and advertising this step.

I tried Glaze n Go over Shellac.

It was fine for 2/3 days then cracked and looks like an old vase.

I can't bear gloves, I've found Geeg's way of holding the pads very useful and if all else fails I'll just redo my right hand thumb, index and middle after a week

Love Shellac though

The simple reason this happened is because Glaze 'n Go is a hard gel, hence why it must be filed off not soaked off and Shellac is a soak off product, so when you combine the 2, it's like chalk and cheese.....they are not made to go together, the same as NSI Polish Pro is not made to have NSI Glaze 'n Go applied as a top coat, they are not compatible.

It's not the Glaze 'n Go that is a bad product for cracking, in fact Glaze 'n Go won the Nails 2011 Top 5 products Readers Choice Award , so it must be good:)
In this situation it was used incorrectly and this is why there were problems, if used correctly, Glaze 'n Go is an excellent product.

Thankyou for your help! Will purchase some nitrile gloves and hope for the best! X

Maybe it's just me but I use the nitrile gloves only as a few of my clients are allergic to latex and even with the magis wraps and pump the acetone it still gets my middle finger :(

Just wondering if someone could explain

Silly phone cut me off lol that was meant to be just wondering if someone could explain geegs method mentioned earlier? Please :) xx

This might seem silly, but my hands never touch the acetone. Why would you even need to touch the acetone when soaking off?

For Gelish and Gelicure I use D-Solve in a pump dispenser and somehow I never get it on my own nails. I place a small piece of cotton wool on the pump with my middle finger, press and remove with my finger and thumb. Only my skin is in contact with the cotton wool and not my nails.

:grr: How stupid can i be, that is so easy, I always faf around with a pipette spilling all over... off to find a pump....

This might seem silly, but my hands never touch the acetone. Why would you even need to touch the acetone when soaking off?

Because when using wraps you soak a pad with acetone then wrap it up. How are you soaking shellac off?

Because when using wraps you soak a pad with acetone then wrap it up. How are you soaking shellac off?

I use a pump dispenser with DSolve in it, there is no need for it to get on your nails as others have mentioned. You press the wrap, or a bit of cotton wool if you're using that method, onto the pump with your finger, give it a pump or 2 then place it on the clients nail and wrap. Why does your nail need to get acetone on it? I've had normal polish on my nails when removing someone's Shellac and it has stayed on just fine!

I use a pump dispenser with DSolve in it, there is no need for it to get on your nails as others have mentioned. You press the wrap, or a bit of cotton wool if you're using that method, onto the pump with your finger, give it a pump or 2 then place it on the clients nail and wrap. Why does your nail need to get acetone on it? I've had normal polish on my nails when removing someone's Shellac and it has stayed on just fine!

I do this also however still manage to get some bits on my nails on the ends! Obviously others have this problem too or to wouldn't have been advised to use nitrile gloves. It's great if you don't need then but I do x

Latest posts

Back