Achieving a deep chocolate brown, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Don 85

Reaction score
Hello I just wondered if someone could help me out with a colour enquiry! My hair is currently a dark dark brown (probably between 1B and 2) which has been dyed previously. I am wanting to achieve a deep rich Chocolate brown colour! I coloured my hair last month using Wella 4/77 with 6% developer but it didn’t really take, it did cover my roots a bit but made no difference to the overall colour of my hair. My question

1) Is there another colour I can use rather than 4/77

2) Should I have used 9% developer instead to achieve a better lift?

3) Should I perhaps apply a colour remover first then re colour my hair in order for it to take?

I don’t want to go too light (maybe around a 3-4) as I have always been dark and do like it dark, although I really would like to go a few shades lighter and a more rich chocolatey deep brown.
Any help or advise would be much appreciated, I am not a qualified hairdresser I only did hairdressing for a while in college so never actually got up to the full colouring training, but I have always coloured my own hair and am trying to stay away from box dyes and use Wella tubed colours with their developers instead! Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I'm assuming you're not qualified in hair? Unfortunately it's against site rules for members tobgive detailed colour advice to non professionals. I would advise you not to layer any more colour over the top as your hair will continue to get darker as it gets saturated in colour. Wait it out and visit a professional :)

Ohhh I didn’t realise I couldn’t ask due to not being a hairdresser thank you anyway, I will do a bit more research! As mentioned I have always coloured my own hair and haven’t ever had it done by a hairdresser. Always been happy with the colour if I stick to my usual dark brown, but just fancied a change and a richer colour thanks again for your reply x

Latest posts

Back