Achieving ash brown over a red

Judda1

Looking for advice. I just going back into hairdressing so my skills are a bit rusty. My sister wants to go to a chocolate brown with some ash highlights. She currently has 55/05 colour touch + on hair, so quite red. She has some grey in her crown area, so was looking at using wella 6.1 with 6% to cover red/grey, think 6 wont take the warmth away? She wanted to some lighter ash highlights adding, have done a strand test with bleach using 6%, lifted to about an 8 very warm ideally need to lift to a 9? Any advice about toners to use?
Thank you

tsparker78

Remember your color wheel. 6.1 won't touch it. You need green, 6.2. Use two formulas. One to cover the regrowth and another to neutralize the red.

ronray

Looking for advice. I just going back into hairdressing so my skills are a bit rusty. My sister wants to go to a chocolate brown with some ash highlights. She currently has 55/05 colour touch + on hair, so quite red. She has some grey in her crown area, so was looking at using wella 6.1 with 6% to cover red/grey, think 6 wont take the warmth away? She wanted to some lighter ash highlights adding, have done a strand test with bleach using 6%, lifted to about an 8 very warm ideally need to lift to a 9? Any advice about toners to use?
Thank you
6.l/1 won't cover 55/05?
A level 6 won't cover a level 5 regardless of the tone. You'll either need to stick to a base 5 and add cool mixt tone to the colour like 0/28 or 0/22 to counteract the red. 6/1 or 5/1 isn't pigmented enough to counteract the red, it will only be enough to subdue it. If you don't want to take her that dark then I'd cleanse the old colour out first.

caitlinfaulks

6.l/1 won't cover 55/05?
A level 6 won't cover a level 5 regardless of the tone. You'll either need to stick to a base 5 and add cool mixt tone to the colour like 0/28 or 0/22 to counteract the red. 6/1 or 5/1 isn't pigmented enough to counteract the red, it will only be enough to subdue it. If you don't want to take her that dark then I'd cleanse the old colour out first.
Agreed, do a cleanse first because remember you also usually need to go at least a level lighter in your undercoat when wanting a cool result. So even if you do drop it back down to a 5/1 you will still get a cooler result than it you were to just cover the red with a 5/1. But keep in mind it will depend on what your undercoat is so just make sure it’s as even as possible.