Acne/folliculitis help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

For nearly a year now I have been experiencing terrible spots on my back. They are small, red itchy dots.
I am using Dermalogica Clearing Skin Wash and the ultimate buffing cloth to gently exfoliate, however they aren't healing at all.
I take antibiotics for them and use a prescribed retin-a gel with no effect.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to clear them up? They get me down and nothing I use is helping!
I am a Dermalogica expert and feel ridiculous that I can't clear them.

Thank you.

I retail some amazing supplements called Accumax they're from a company called the Advanced Nutrition Programme and the results are amazing. They're not cheap but I can guarantee you'll see results from them. I suffered with hormonal breakouts on my chin, jawline and neck which as soon as they'd healed more would pop up. Within 4-5 weeks my skin was clear! Amazing! X

My hair is standing on end reading this! You should not be using any exfoliant with Retin A, and Retin A is only for short term use. My advice is to stop using EVERYTHING for a few weeks, except watered down facial wash and face powder. You should see an immediate improvement. When the broken areas of skin have healed then try moisturising once more, but stop if you see any deterioration. You're going to have to take it one step at a time. If the antibiotics are not helping then there's no point taking them either.

Edit: sorry I just realised you were talking about your back, in which case I still recommend the above (without the face powder of course!) and then also take a look at your shampoo and conditioner. When you have finished rinsing off your conditioner do one more wash of your back to remove any left over. Also take a look at any products you apply (tan, moisturiser, hair removal cream, bleach etc).

Last edited:
Oh shame that sounds very uncomfortable, ;(
Is this active acne meaning pustules or is it just more the red sores? Is the skin also angry looking?

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you pamieD, you can very effectively use retinole product with peel system and micro exfoliants. This is don't by many doctors and skin care therapists. However I do agree with you for saying that she should stop her routine till they have cleared. And retinole products like regeime A and environ have pure retinole which can be used for long term without any problems even during pregnancies. The trigger to create more break out is vit C which I am sure we all as therapists will be aware of so need to explain that.

The advise of oral supplementation is usually very good advise, most of our acne prone clients are lacking supplement of some form I believe most things and health issues today can be managed by correct diet and supplementation.

Have you looked at your work uniform and clothing you are wearing? Sometimes the uniform might be carrying the bacteria do any heat will aggregate the skin, most therapist uniforms are synthetic mix fabrics which take a lot of wear. Look at your bath towels change them ever 2 days.
And your pyjamas daily. I know this sounds silly but a lot of us get too busy with daily life we forget these little things which can all contribute.

A lot of ladies experience back breakouts for reasons relating to hormones so perhaps at your next check up ask your Gynea for some advise, sometimes we need to change our monthly pills (if you ok them) as we age in life.

Def try the oral supplements I am big fan of that. If you are able to buy home peel kit like the environ kit they make think retails £80 not sure exact prices then weekly peel can help. But you have to get someone to do this for you.
I do treat a lot of back acne clients using peels and DF machine very successfully.

Retinol is fine, Retin A (retinova) is a type of prescription drug.

My hair is standing on end reading this! You should not be using any exfoliant with Retin A, and Retin A is only for short term use. My advice is to stop using EVERYTHING for a few weeks, except watered down facial wash and face powder. You should see an immediate improvement. When the broken areas of skin have healed then try moisturising once more, but stop if you see any deterioration. You're going to have to take it one step at a time. If the antibiotics are not helping then there's no point taking them either.

Edit: sorry I just realised you were talking about your back, in which case I still recommend the above (without the face powder of course!) and then also take a look at your shampoo and conditioner. When you have finished rinsing off your conditioner do one more wash of your back to remove any left over. Also take a look at any products you apply (tan, moisturiser, hair removal cream, bleach etc).

Hi, yes I totally agree with you about the retin-a and exfoliation, however I only exfoliate very very gently 1x a week (if even) I just find it helps slightly with the appearance of the spots.

I don't use anything on my back as far as tan or cream is concerned as I'm afraid of irritating it anymore. I will rinse my back again after my hair.

Thanks for your advice x

Oh shame that sounds very uncomfortable, ;(
Is this active acne meaning pustules or is it just more the red sores? Is the skin also angry looking?

Unfortunately I have to disagree with you pamieD, you can very effectively use retinole product with peel system and micro exfoliants. This is don't by many doctors and skin care therapists. However I do agree with you for saying that she should stop her routine till they have cleared. And retinole products like regeime A and environ have pure retinole which can be used for long term without any problems even during pregnancies. The trigger to create more break out is vit C which I am sure we all as therapists will be aware of so need to explain that.

The advise of oral supplementation is usually very good advise, most of our acne prone clients are lacking supplement of some form I believe most things and health issues today can be managed by correct diet and supplementation.

Have you looked at your work uniform and clothing you are wearing? Sometimes the uniform might be carrying the bacteria do any heat will aggregate the skin, most therapist uniforms are synthetic mix fabrics which take a lot of wear. Look at your bath towels change them ever 2 days.
And your pyjamas daily. I know this sounds silly but a lot of us get too busy with daily life we forget these little things which can all contribute.

A lot of ladies experience back breakouts for reasons relating to hormones so perhaps at your next check up ask your Gynea for some advise, sometimes we need to change our monthly pills (if you ok them) as we age in life.

Def try the oral supplements I am big fan of that. If you are able to buy home peel kit like the environ kit they make think retails £80 not sure exact prices then weekly peel can help. But you have to get someone to do this for you.
I do treat a lot of back acne clients using peels and DF machine very successfully.

I have some pustules, some cysts but mostly it is the red spots, which have now appeared on my shoulders and chest.

I very gently exfoliate, I know I technically shouldn't with the use of the retin a but I've found it helps the appearance without further irritating it.

I haven't even checked my uniform to be honest! But I will check what material and defo change my pjs more often as well.

I am considering changing my pill to see if this will helps.

Thank you so much.

Retinol is fine, Retin A (retinova) is a type of prescription drug.

I have just double checked and my gel is called Treclin which is tretinoin.

All the same product, it has lots of different brand names :cool:

Adult acne is common and it is so on the back and chest. I have had it since age thirteen and I'm twenty eight now. To be honest I think there is only so much you can do. What has helped me is to accept my body and skin. Going out in the sun in a vest top is easier said than done but this can help. I still wear vest tops to let the air to my skin. The less self conscious I am the less restricted I feel.

Adult acne is common and it is so on the back and chest. I have had it since age thirteen and I'm twenty eight now. To be honest I think there is only so much you can do. What has helped me is to accept my body and skin. Going out in the sun in a vest top is easier said than done but this can help. I still wear vest tops to let the air to my skin. The less self conscious I am the less restricted I feel.

I had it as a teen and I'm 22 now, it's only really started to annoy me this past year when it's gotten worse. I am bridesmaid in a wedding in Cyprus and I am dreading it! I don't wear anything that shows my shoulders or chest.

I had it as a teen and I'm 22 now, it's only really started to annoy me this past year when it's gotten worse. I am bridesmaid in a wedding in Cyprus and I am dreading it! I don't wear anything that shows my shoulders or chest.

For a special occasion I would recommend camouflage makeup. A makeup artist can apply this on the day. I think this would be a good option for you because it takes the pressure off feeling that your skin needs to improve by a set date.

Sounds like you are trying lots of stuff to see if it helps.
I'd say miss out washing your hair in the shower and make sure wet hair doesn't rest against your back . It's something simple to do and it would be such a shame if shampoo / conditioner irritation was undoing all your hard work.

Latest posts

Back