acrylic advice pls!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mandy_moo_64

Reaction score
I've only trained in gels, so i thought i'd go and have some acrylic enhancements done to see what the difference is.

So.... after reading all the different tips, advice etc on here, can you tell me if the nail tech did mine correctly? She buffed the surface of my nail, then applied acetone 'to dry the nail out' she said, glued the tip on, applied primer to the natural nail, blended the tip in, then put a coat of liquid acrylic on first before putting both liquid and powder on, and then....and this is the part i didn't get, she painted a layer of liquid acrylic on my skin around the nail enhancement.......WHY ??? Is this right, cos when i came away, the skin round my nails looked as though it had nail glue on, and i ended up having to pick it off !!!

mandy_moo_64 said:
I've only trained in gels, so i thought i'd go and have some acrylic enhancements done to see what the difference is.

So.... after reading all the different tips, advice etc on here, can you tell me if the nail tech did mine correctly? She buffed the surface of my nail, then applied acetone 'to dry the nail out' she said, glued the tip on, applied primer to the natural nail, blended the tip in, then put a coat of liquid acrylic on first before putting both liquid and powder on, and then....and this is the part i didn't get, she painted a layer of liquid acrylic on my skin around the nail enhancement.......WHY ??? Is this right, cos when i came away, the skin round my nails looked as though it had nail glue on, and i ended up having to pick it off !!!
Hi Mandy,
As far as I've learnt in my training you're supposed to keep the liquid off the skin to avoid sensitivity. But hey, what do I know, I've only been qualified 3 months. Maybe people with more expertise can answer your question better. There's so many of them on this site, and always willing to help others.

Wow that is weird, doesnt sound right to me, i know that may be different places teach different things and I have heard of some placing liquid upon the nail bed although it something I do not do, but definatly not around the cuticle area.

This does not sound right at all.

Grace x

I can not think of a professional system that recommends the method of prep and application you mentioned.
Placing monomer on soft tissue (I dont care what the brand) is a very serious risk for allergic reactions.

I hate to condem someones application, but this one sure does leave you feeling a bit blech inside.

Hi Mandymoo,

: :eek: The mind boogles, I really don't understand why she has put acetone (extremley drying) on your nails she should'nt be :confused: especially when she should/could be using something like scrubfresh and nailfresh which were specifically designed for cleansing and temporally dehydrating (which last aprox 20 mins) the natural nail, which i assume she was trying to do :?: I not sure about the paint on acrylic, could it have been the more than white? this is a paint on white liquid acrylic for the french tip look! If i was going to apply primer i would use it after i had blended my tip as i scrubfresh again to get rid of any dust etc and to make sure it is properly prepped before applying acrylic. I can't think of anything she would put on your skin around the nail though but it definitley should'nt be acrylic a big no no this can cause lots of problems especially if done repeatedly, such as overexposure-allergic reactions etc. The only thing i would put on the skin
around the nail would be solar oil when they were finished!
Anyway sorry to ramble on, hope this helps!

mandy_moo_64 said:

hi mand
what system was she using ?
debbie

Hi peeps

She was using The Edge acrylic system, and she DEFINITELY put acetone on my natural nails , cos i asked her what she was using ... she said she had to dehydrate my nails b4 the tips could be put on.Then she put a primer on. She then glued the tips on, filed them flush with my nail, didnt even bother removing the dust then put a layer of liquid on the nail & tip, b4 putting the L & P on in one coat. Then she painted a layer of liquid around the cuticle.. . And then to finish she painted on a thick-ish clear varnish that she said would stop it yellowing.....

Hi

Did you ask to see the technicians qualification certificate and insurance?

Did you observe any cleaning of the area or of the implements she/he use on you?

I trained at college and then went on to do a Creative conversion and we were always taught to keep the products off of the skin, not to use acetone as it drys the nail out for too long and it doesn't fight pathogens (nasty little critters that cause greenies)

:sad: Along with NSSs, these people make my blood boil. I spend most of my time educating my clients (hoping they'll pass the advice onto people they know) on NSSs, insurance and MMA. Why can't we have licensing? Why can't we ban MMA? There are soooo many people out there posing as nail technicians and don't have a clue what they are doing (apart from damage!). I have 2 clients this week on which I'm expected to perform miricles on the damage/destruction a NSS has caused.

:o Sorry for the rant.....I feel much better now. :biggrin:

My advice is to go and do a course, a little knowledge is dangerous but a lot of knowledge is the way to go! At least you'll be in a position to question and be confident! :biggrin:

Sam x

P.S. sorry if there are any spelling mistakes but I can't find how to do a spell check in this version :o

Thanx Sam

I've already done the Bio Sculpture Gel course,as well as the airbrushing, but i wanted to start doing acrylics as well , so i read loads on here first, then decided to go to a salon to have some done, b4 paying out for another course, so i could see for myself what they were like.

Yep, she did have certificates up on the wall , cos that was the first thing i looked for!!

I'm not gonna be put off bout doing acrylics myself, if anything, it makes me more determined to do it, and to do a good job!!

At least I can learn from her mistakes b4 i even begin !!!!!!

It all comes down to the quality of

Education

Education

Education

It can't be said enough can it?

hiya mandy

Why dont you find out if there is a creative salon in your area and go and have a good set put on. Soak those nastys off and dont let a bad tech put you off.
(ps i use biosculpture to)

I've just done a short acrylic course and they showed us to use acetone to dehydrate the natural nail. It was run by Training Solutions who do the courses in Capital Beauty wholesalers (although it was in my college)
Is this wrong? What are you supposed to use if it is?

hiya

you should use something like nail fresh, the nail system that you chose will have a temp nail dehydrater. Acetone is not so good for the nails. If you do a search you will gets lots of information on good prep practices.

HTH

I have just read this thread and would like to post that not only do you not require any formal qualifications to work in nails in the UK - you do not require any formal qualifications to train other people to do nails either!!!!!

I spoke to one of the better known beauty insurance companies and they confirmed that any nail training course (as long as it is not a correspondance course) would be acceptable to them as enough to get you insured. No matter who ran the course.

So when Geeg said it all comes down to the quality of

Education

Education

Education

Maybe the word QUALITY should be given some major significance.

can someone please tell me what " nss " is?????? thanks
sdanzine said:
Hi

Did you ask to see the technicians qualification certificate and insurance?

Did you observe any cleaning of the area or of the implements she/he use on you?

I trained at college and then went on to do a Creative conversion and we were always taught to keep the products off of the skin, not to use acetone as it drys the nail out for too long and it doesn't fight pathogens (nasty little critters that cause greenies)

:sad: Along with NSSs, these people make my blood boil. I spend most of my time educating my clients (hoping they'll pass the advice onto people they know) on NSSs, insurance and MMA. Why can't we have licensing? Why can't we ban MMA? There are soooo many people out there posing as nail technicians and don't have a clue what they are doing (apart from damage!). I have 2 clients this week on which I'm expected to perform miricles on the damage/destruction a NSS has caused.

:o Sorry for the rant.....I feel much better now. :biggrin:

My advice is to go and do a course, a little knowledge is dangerous but a lot of knowledge is the way to go! At least you'll be in a position to question and be confident! :biggrin:

Sam x

P.S. sorry if there are any spelling mistakes but I can't find how to do a spell check in this version :o

non standard salons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back