Acrylic application?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi Ladies & Gents,

Sorry for the long winded mail but I’m feeling really deflated and I’m hoping you can give me some advice.

I’m doing a training course in L&P (with a well known provider) but I feel like I just can’t do it. I never, in my wildest dreams, thought it would be so hard to get a nail to look decent. Honestly, it looks so easy and I think I have watched every single YouTube video out there to try and improve but my application is really awful. I do have a trainer hand and I’ve been practicing on this, but it’s not really the same as a real hand. My daughter has been letting me practice on her but the poor girl has been sporting the nails of Shrek for the past few of weeks so I’m a bit reluctant to try and ask for models when I feel like I’m going to do such a poor job.

I’ve only had one day training so far and it didn’t really entail a huge amount much (picking up beads, a filing routine, prep routine and a bit of practice on a trainer hand) and then I’ve been told to do 10 sets of nails on people and build a portfolio in advance of my second date. Application is sculpting (not using tips) and the one bead method, but I’m finding it really hard to get a flush cuticle and I just end up with ledges all around the nail. I’m also having problems keeping the acrylic out of the cuticle and the sidewalls, then it makes it difficult filing and I’m worried I’m hurting my daughter. I do find it helps to work a bit wetter but I can’t do that in one bead and I think that’s where I end up with the product all over the nail. I'm also finding the brush really quite soft and that makes it difficult to move the acrylic around (but that might just be me blaming my tools!!)

I keep seeing all these lovely pictures of perfectly round cuticle areas and I honestly have no idea how you achieve it. It’s amazing (so hats off to you all).

I could ask my trainer for more time I guess, but I’m sure there is only so much she can show me and I just have to learn to master it.

Any advice for me (before I throw all my stuff out the window in frustration).

Sincerely,

Frustrated from Essex.

I know exactly how you feel, but don’t give up I am sure you will master it . Good luck x

What brand are you using? The quality of products and brush can make a big difference.

One bead method is really hard to master, as a beginner you should be using smaller beads for control and manageability.

I understand your frustration, everyone thinks its easy and it's not, but starting with quality products and training make all the difference

Thanks Ladies.

Trinity, I’m using Young Nails products (that’s who I am training with). The acrylic is quite nice (I ordered a CJP starter kit to compare the two, and I got into a holy hot mess with that ). But I know it’s probably my lack of experience rather than the product as I know other people give it rave reviews. Perhaps I will get another couple of brushes, the ones I’m using seem rather long and soft.

I’m just struggling with motivation at the moment. Just when I think I’ve got it, the product dries and I realise I’ve created yet another monster set of nails - and not in a good way.

I will keep trying and will practise using smaller beads I think. I have no option but to master it because I’ve bought so much flipping stuff

Thanks Ladies.

Trinity, I’m using Young Nails products (that’s who I am training with). The acrylic is quite nice (I ordered a CJP starter kit to compare the two, and I got into a holy hot mess with that ). But I know it’s probably my lack of experience rather than the product as I know other people give it rave reviews. Perhaps I will get another couple of brushes, the ones I’m using seem rather long and soft.

I’m just struggling with motivation at the moment. Just when I think I’ve got it, the product dries and I realise I’ve created yet another monster set of nails - and not in a good way.

I will keep trying and will practise using smaller beads I think. I have no option but to master it because I’ve bought so much flipping stuff

Young Nails is a quality product, and quality training so thats reassuring - its a quite 'wet' system and fairly slow setting so I suggest your issue is bead consistency. This truly comes with practice and experience, each system will have a different ratio and watching videos of other systems is just going to confuse you more. Discuss it with your tutor, that's what they are for, they will have sime suggestions and solutions, its their job

Please don’t be so hard on yourself. Application is so much more difficult than it looks and most of us still see room for improvement.
It takes many hours if practise and even once you’re happy with how they look you may still have issues with lifting. We’ve all been there and it can be disheartening.
I agree with trinity, choose a quality brush and system and stick with it.
It’s all about getting to know the product and knowing when the bead ratio is correct.
Just keep practicing and you’ll get there [emoji4]

I had similar problems when I started with L&P. One tip my trainer gave me was to size up on my brush. I got an 8 in the training kit and it was hopelessly lightweight so I got a big fat 10 off eBay which coped with my frantic application wonderfully, it was a real game changer for me.

Ahh thanks for your encouraging words ladies. I did have another go at my daughter’s nails last night and I used smaller beads (rather than trying with one bead). I did find it a bit easier actually, especially around the cuticle and in all honesty, I thought I might have turned a corner. Then I looked at a picture I took of them and realised they were still like breeze blocks :). I think I might be using too much acrylic and I definitely need to work on my shaping so I will keep on going.

I did buy a bigger brush Alison (a 10), so I will have another go with that tonight (on me). My YN brush seems to have splayed a little bit so it's got a bit of a v going on at the tip which doesn't help. I guess it’s just trial and error and finding the best way to work for me.

Quick question: obviously, I am just using a hand file at the moment. I know an electric drill will make a difference in terms of speed, but can you get exactly the same outcome from a hand file as you would an electric drill / file? I keep seeing all these lovely, slim, nails with perfectly round cuticle areas and I’ve decided that’s what I’m aiming for. I’m just wondering if I can achieve that with hand files? Unfortunately, I don’t think I can do any efile training until I’ve passed my assessment.

Thanks for your help.

Thousands of us have been producing slim, gorgeous nails without efiles for donkey's years, it's not about filing a nail into shape, its about good application in the first place. Its cheaper to put the product in the right place and do less filing than buy an efile and train. Sculpt with your brush not your file. Filing off product just produces expensive dust. Put less on, put it in the right place and simply refine with your abrasive.

Thousands of us have been producing slim, gorgeous nails without efiles for donkey's years, it's not about filing a nail into shape, its about good application in the first place. Its cheaper to put the product in the right place and do less filing than buy an efile and train. Sculpt with your brush not your file. Filing off product just produces expensive dust. Put less on, put it in the right place and simply refine with your abrasive.

Yes, that makes sense. I just wondered whether eFiles produce results that hand files don’t or can’t. I guess the answer to that is no.

Latest posts

Back