Acrylic brushes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi, I currently use an acrylic pure kolinsky brush size 8 I got cheap on eBay. But as I'm due to train soon I thought I would invest in a better one.
I have been looking at the crystal nails xsteme kolinsky brush (size 10) .
Does anyone have advice on brushes, brands, sizes cost etc
Thank you

Who are you training with. If its a brand they will probably want you to use theirs. Other than that I like ones with a lid on since I'm mobile and don't want to damage bristles. Nsi do a nice reasonably priced kolinsky one where the handle becomes a cap. You will probably need a new one when you finish training anyway so I wouldn't spend too much I ruined a brush while I was training!

Also size 10 is a large brush and normally used by experienced techs I would go for an 8 that's the more standard starter size x

Who are you training with. If its a brand they will probably want you to use theirs. Other than that I like ones with a lid on since I'm mobile and don't want to damage bristles. Nsi do a nice reasonably priced kolinsky one where the handle becomes a cap. You will probably need a new one when you finish training anyway so I wouldn't spend too much I ruined a brush while I was training!

Ah didn't think about that!
I'm doing the training at a place local to me called the nail academy. They use ezflow and you do get a kit provided for you.

I disagree about not investing in a brush, Your brush is the most important piece of the system when doing liquid and powder nails, If you have an inferior brush your will not be able to produce good quality nails with ease.

Your brush is going to control your mix ratio , and shaping of the nail. You need a good brush. You may very well ruin your brush in training but then your will another good brush ;) Your only making your life harder by not having the correct tools for the job :)

I disagree about not investing in a brush, Your brush is the most important piece of the system when doing liquid and powder nails, If you have an inferior brush your will not be able to produce good quality nails with ease.

Your brush is going to control your mix ratio , and shaping of the nail. You need a good brush. You may very well ruin your brush in training but then your will another good brush ;) Your only making your life harder by not having the correct tools for the job :)
Maybe - a quality brush is invaluable but I've found when my apprentices start with a cheaper brush and then when they get to a good standard and they get a good brush they can't believe how easy it is with a good brush so I sometimes think using a brush that is not as good and harder to use at the start makes them better. I find you can use a cheap brush but your product control has to be spot on and it's a lot harder to do so my thinking is if they can get to a point of producing quality work with an ok brush imagine what they can do with a great quality brush - hope that makes sense, had a long day sorry if I've waffled a bit!

Maybe - a quality brush is invaluable but I've found when my apprentices start with a cheaper brush and then when they get to a good standard and they get a good brush they can't believe how easy it is with a good brush so I sometimes think using a brush that is not as good and harder to use at the start makes them better. I find you can use a cheap brush but your product control has to be spot on and it's a lot harder to do so my thinking is if they can get to a point of producing quality work with an ok brush imagine what they can do with a great quality brush - hope that makes sense, had a long day sorry if I've waffled a bit!

Practices does not make perfect, Perfect Practice makes perfect!

It is pointless trying to learn a skill with a shoddy tool, You need to learn how to control the liquid in your brush correctly and how to sculpt the liquid and powder in order to create a good nail without the need for loads of filing afterwards. Learning this skill is hard enough without making it more difficult by using a poor brush, you will not have the same control of the product and will need to adjust the way you apply your nails when you make the switch. Cheap brushes don't hold the liquid in the same way, they don't shape the nail in the same way, they don't have the same bounce that levels the nail as you sculpt.

Makes much more sense to do it right from the start so you know if your product is not behaving the way it should, it's something you are doing and not a rubbish brush.

Practising make up for instance with rubbish make up brushes would not make you a better make up artist

Sorry I wasn't clear I didn't mean a super cheap brush I was recommending the nsi one. I know we can't put trade prices it's a good brush which I like but a lot less than the nail harmony ones I wrecked x

Practices does not make perfect, Perfect Practice makes perfect!

It is pointless trying to learn a skill with a shoddy tool, You need to learn how to control the liquid in your brush correctly and how to sculpt the liquid and powder in order to create a good nail without the need for loads of filing afterwards. Learning this skill is hard enough without making it more difficult by using a poor brush, you will not have the same control of the product and will need to adjust the way you apply your nails when you make the switch. Cheap brushes don't hold the liquid in the same way, they don't shape the nail in the same way, they don't have the same bounce that levels the nail as you sculpt.

Makes much more sense to do it right from the start so you know if your product is not behaving the way it should, it's something you are doing and not a rubbish brush.

Practising make up for instance with rubbish make up brushes would not make you a better make up artist

Yes I can see what you mean and the may be true and correct for lots of people it's just what I have found and my opinion on whats worked for me and staff thats all. I'm not saying your wrong just my opinion!

I think it's also a good skill to learn how different brushes work and be able to easily make a transition and adapt your liquid etc accordingly. I can do a great set of nails with the cheapest brush but it's a lot easier with a quality one I agree but I enjoy having the skill to be able to adapt and use either if need be.

My apprentices get a mid range brush until they do not get product stuck in it every time which as we all know is very easy to do when starting out... otherwise it's pointless buying a great brush for them to do perfect practice would end up costing £60 plus per week. Sorry but I really do think buying a top of the range brush at first is a complete waste of money especially as you can get cheaper brushes that are OK and then when you are ready move onto a better brush.

Makeups a little different as you aren't going to get clumps of acrylic stuck in your makeup brushes.

What costs am I looking at for a cheap, midrange and expensive brush?

I was looking at the crystal nails one and for the 8 I think it was about £19/20 and the 10 was £24.50 I think!

I thought in my head I was splashing out! Once I'm trained and more experienced should I be looking to pay more than that?

There's so much to think of!

They are a good brand so should still be a good brush. The ones I ruined while training were about £60 Inc vat. Didn't want you to make same mistake! X

They are a good brand so should still be a good brush. The ones I ruined while training were about £60 Inc vat. Didn't want you to make same mistake! X
Ouch !

I use #10 CND sculpting brush! Love it xx

I use #10 CND sculpting brush! Love it xx
Oooh are you a young nails tech Mikala? I seem to remember you replying to one of my posts, ive been trying out different brushes recently I currently use the crystal nails xtreme but might try the cnd if it's good x

Oooh are you a young nails tech Mikala? I seem to remember you replying to one of my posts, ive been trying out different brushes recently I currently use the crystal nails xtreme but might try the cnd if it's good x
Yeah I am :) yeah it's the best one I've had definitely xxx

I'm currently looking at brushes too. So confused. [emoji30] just finished my course and was using a starter brush but need a new one now xx

I've bought an Ink London acrylic brush. It's lovely and a very reasonable £15.00. Definitely my brush of choice

I have the new ink London one too, so easy to work with x

I've also decided to go with the ink london one

Where and what products course did you do?

Latest posts

Back