Acrylic crystalizing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amerie43

Reaction score
When I am filling some of my clients nails I notice that sometimes on different parts of the nail the acrylic crystalizes..... lol I dont even know if I am spelling that tight but you guys know what I am saying! Its lke a line of glitter that forms after I apply. It is easly buffed off but sometimes it leaves a white line..... ANy Clues?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do remember reading something silimar in a past thread here while rooting through the posts and I think Geeg or somebody equally excellent gave the particulars as to whats happening with that.

If you put crystalising (not sure if that's spelled right) into the search, it may bring something up.

If its doing that, it mean there's hardened product left in the brush that you're putting on to the nail. Clean the brush better. That should help.

Crystalisation is usually due to temperature not product in your brush. Contamination is when there is product left in your brush.

Grafxgal is right.......although if you are using Creative products or any other of the high end premium products then crystalisation is not a problem, as crystalisation is when the monomer freezes and CND monomers only freeze at -80 degrees!!

This sounds more like 'frosting' ...ie rapid evaporation of you monomer whilst you are working with it. Working with too wet a mix ratio, can cause this, and hot or cold draughts.
It is like when you have a glass of salted water and the water evaporates, leaving the salt crystals behind in the glass.
I think if you sort out your mix ratio and your room temperature then you should solve your problem.
HTH

I agree with Izzi, check your ratio, it's also good to have a decent lightbulb in your lamp that gives off a little heat to warm your immediate area.

Having a product that doesn't crystalise is not the be all and end all, products that don't crystalise can take forever to set, i've seen peeps loose competitions waiting for product to set, crystalisation is a indicator of seeing you are doing things wrong.

Now all you have to do is set things right. good luck

"take my advice, i'm not using it"

I figured it was my mix ratio, is there any chance that when a product got too cold by sitting in storage? One day at the salon we didnt have heat for a few days on a very cold couple of days. I was wondering if the products got messed up?

I figured it was my mix ratio, is there any chance that when a product got too cold by sitting in storage? One day at the salon we didnt have heat for a few days on a very cold couple of days. I was wondering if the products got messed up?

YOur products being cold will not permanently 'mess them up' but it could have been the cause of your problem. Make sure your products are always at an ambient (between 60 and 70degrees) temperature and that your client's hands are also warm. Cold hands can also be a cause of crystalization.

I too have the same problem with crystalizing...I notice crystalizing when I use a slow setting acrylic, and also when I'm using a fan to blow the fumes from between the client and myself...but when I use a fast setting acrylic it never happens...so I'm not to sure about the mix ratio.:cry:

It depends wot products your using but ithe 8 years i've been doig nails its always been down to the room or products or clirnts hands being cold the room should never feel chilly when doig nails or the acrylic won't set properly or it will crystalize

Personally i feel it happens when your brush isn't quite wet enough and you dip into your powder and not counting 1-2-3 and then applying to the nail. You must do the count and you will see all of your dry powder "wetten" (is that a word? lol)
Does any of that make sense? lol

When I am filling some of my clients nails I notice that sometimes on different parts of the nail the acrylic crystalizes..... lol I dont even know if I am spelling that tight but you guys know what I am saying! Its lke a line of glitter that forms after I apply. It is easly buffed off but sometimes it leaves a white line..... ANy Clues?
Your product may have been cold also make sure that your client hand are not cold as well becaase i am anemic i crystalize product to

Last edited by a moderator:
I too have the same problem with crystalizing...I notice crystalizing when I use a slow setting acrylic, and also when I'm using a fan to blow the fumes from between the client and myself...but when I use a fast setting acrylic it never happens...so I'm not to sure about the mix ratio.:cry:

What you are seeing is not crystallisation although it looks similar. Crystallisation is caused by the cold ... period.

What you are seeing superficially looks similar but is not crystallisation. You are seeing a case of rapid evaporation (caused by your fan) of the monomer which leaves unreacted powder on the surface of the enhancement. When you buff, the powder is removed but the product beneath is still stuck firmly to the nail.

Now with crystallisation caused by cold temperatures, the product never polymerises and when you buff, it just comes off the nail plate where the crystallisation occurs. Crystallisation never occurs with slow setting liquid like Retention+ but Rapid Evaporation can.

Wandawump

Personally i feel it happens when your brush isn't quite wet enough and you dip into your powder and not counting 1-2-3 and then applying to the nail. You must do the count and you will see all of your dry powder "wetten" (is that a word? lol)
Does any of that make sense? lol

What you are describing is not crystallisation and is not Rapid evaporation either.
It is too much powder and too little monomer.

Latest posts

Back