Acrylic damages your nails????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Herman

Reaction score
This is Hermans wifey Lilly,

Cant post anything on mine so i'm using his..... I have nearly finished a beauty therapy course and an additional option with the course was a nail extension course, because I have already done numerous nail courses this didnot apply to me but I was concernd when the tutor said it will be a gel course because "gel is organic and doesn't damage your nails like acrylic does". This concerns me alot as I probably like many of you have read Nail Structure & Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon and know that it is not the product that damages the nail but the technician. This really winds me up, if your tought correctly it doe'nst matter what system you use. Why do alot of college tutors insist on only using gel and then the student will get a qualification (in this instance an ITEC) in nail extensions, they do not know all aspects of extensions. I know Im going on a bit but it really really bugs me. Could it be that the college tutor only knows gel as the college does not offer liquid & powder, Sculptured, fibreglass/silk or even nail art courses. This is a private college and not a state college.

Lilly :twisted:

ps thought i would edit this bit too...topic of conversation this week with our tutor was the reason she had had 8 chest infections in 1 year was due to the fact that she was working with l&p...her doctor told her stop working with it :twisted:

Hi Lilly,

As long as courses are run by beauty therapists with absolutely no knowledge of nail enhancements, this is the attitude you will find.

When I did my manicure/pedicure course a few years ago, our tutor taught us that nail enhancements were bad for your nails - but I now know different LOL.

As you say it is either the technician or the client who does the damage - but gel will be the same. If the technician applies it incorrectly then they will do damage and equally if the client picks them off - voila damage again!

It comes down to educating the educators in colleges.

Hiya

I agree with fiona an i am so pleased that we are getting our own NVQ i am starting my teacher course tomorrow and would like to pursue that area to bring up standards.

Hi there Tracey,

It's a fab idea bout NVQ, just half way through mine. I am enjoying it though. Where are you doing your teaching course and what type of teaching course is it? I'm wanting to go down thta path too and I don't think you can ever have enough training.
Amanda (Lilly) :cool:

Hi

I didnt think it started till august!!! I am doing my assesors and teaching award in hairdressing and then when you have it you can use it to teach anything that you are qualified in. In my case thats quite a bit i am course mad. Going to start my CND masters later this year, so i can teach my students the best ways......
I am doing mine at my local college/acadamy.

Hi there,
Thanx for that, been in touch with my local college and I have enquired about a basic teaching certificate, but the head of Hair and Beauty said I will have to have 3-5 yrs industry experience before I can start to teach (I currently have 2yrs). It hasnt put me off though!!!! i'm like you I can;t get enough of training especially in nails, I luv it.
Amanda :cool:

Little Angel said:
Hi

I didnt think it started till august!!! I am doing my assesors and teaching award in hairdressing and then when you have it you can use it to teach anything that you are qualified in. In my case thats quite a bit i am course mad. Going to start my CND masters later this year, so i can teach my students the best ways......
I am doing mine at my local college/acadamy.

Hello again,
did you mean you didn't think your teaching course started in september?? i'm abit slow off the mark today, college do my tree in with insisting acrylic is bad for your nails.

Herman said:
This is Hermans wifey Lilly,

Cant post anything on mine so i'm using his..... I have nearly finished a beauty therapy course and an additional option with the course was a nail extension course, because I have already done numerous nail courses this didnot apply to me but I was concernd when the tutor said it will be a gel course because "gel is organic and doesn't damage your nails like acrylic does". This concerns me alot as I probably like many of you have read Nail Structure & Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon and know that it is not the product that damages the nail but the technician. This really winds me up, if your tought correctly it doe'nst matter what system you use. Why do alot of college tutors insist on only using gel and then the student will get a qualification (in this instance an ITEC) in nail extensions, they do not know all aspects of extensions. I know Im going on a bit but it really really bugs me. Could it be that the college tutor only knows gel as the college does not offer liquid & powder, Sculptured, fibreglass/silk or even nail art courses. This is a private college and not a state college.

Lilly :twisted:

Hi

I know what you mean about college tutors. I am also a beauty therapist but I trained as a nail tech first and when I came to do my college course I obviously didnt do the nail course either. Whilst chatting to the tutor one morning when I got there early I asked what systems/products they used for the nails course. They did both l&p and gel, both well known brands but she was moaning about the state of her own nails saying how she HATES doing the nails element of the course because she doesnt usually wear extension because they ruin your own nails. I didnt continue this conversation but I am so glad I was already trained in nails coz this sort of attitude could put off any new techs. The beauty course was very good but I really feel they need well trained and experienced nail techs to teach the nails extension course otherwise this sort of mis-information will continue. I'm just glad I know better.

Shaza

Hi,
I find this an interesting subject as many new clients ask the same question.
My brothers partner is also a beauty therapist & admits to telling her clients that nail extensions are bad for your nails!! This is mainly because she doesnt know any different & doesnt have time to offer this service in a busy salon,thus encouraging clients to have regular manicures!!! You will find that
most beauticians who do not offer this service will be giving nail extensions bad publicity!!!It is up to us good nail techs to prove them wrong ,by keeping the standards high & re-educating our clients!!!

Hi

I went to a pamper evening last night, which was meant to help promote our services at our salon. I had all my nails painted differently over my acrylic extensions and everyone commented on how nice they were - BUT - the quote of the evening was "don't they damage your nails". After being asked this several times i felt like i should have taken a tape recording lol. If they are applied correctly and clients follow the aftercare advice then no they don't damage your nails.

I did get a few bookings though which i was very pleased about.

Shelley

Herman said:
Hello again,
did you mean you didn't think your teaching course started in september?? i'm abit slow off the mark today, college do my tree in with insisting acrylic is bad for your nails.

hi
no i meant i didnt think the new nail nvq was launched till august well thats when you can sign up for sept.......... is my info wrong????? :evil: i want to do it now...... so impatient :o

Little Angel said:
hi
no i meant i didnt think the new nail nvq was launched till august well thats when you can sign up for sept.......... is my info wrong????? :evil: i want to do it now...... so impatient :o
Hi there
Im doing my unit 309 which is just nail extensions, one of the units from the level III beauty therapy!!! I think you can do it any time. Im doing mine because I think the standards are slipping with some nail techs, basically some get a certificate and thats it, no more training. It really winds me up when alot of tutors and beauty therapists say l&p ruin your nails, what does that say about nail salons!!! clients will not come because they have been mis-informed. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Lilly
p.s topic of conversation this week with my tutor was that the reason she had had 8 chest infections in one year was due to her working with l&p and was told to stop working with it by her doctor!!!!!! :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back