Acrylic Dip with EZFlow

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

annalooby

Reaction score
Hey everyone - wonder if you can help???....

A techie friend of mine uses EZFlow resin and activator to do acrylic dips, using white powder on the free edge. She was raving about how good it is to do your own nails cos I was moaning about the state of my right hand in comparison with the left- lol! ANYWAY - she's naffed off on holiday and I have just got some of the resin and activator to have a play with! Does anyone know if you need primer for this resin?? or just a pH balancer??? (I usually use L&P so dont know about resin systems.) Can you also use them for wraps?? Also, how do you remove them?? Of course if my supplier knew anything about their products they could have told me all this - but needless to say they are only in the game for a buck and know nada!!-Thank gawd for the Geek!!

Cheers pals and pall-ettes!
:green:

I have always been intrigued by these dip systems (not necessarily in a good way LOL).

Are the fingers dipped into normal powder - ie. CND Perfect colour white or is it specially formulated to be repeatedly used on the skin.

Surely this is one of the things we need to avoid as technicians - or am I way off mark here.

i use backscratchers and with that you don't need a primer, just santize hands as normal and buff off shine. have a play around, that what i have done in the past, i have used all acrylic powders for dipping, and haven't had any problems. it's great for if your clients don't want a curve to the nail and want it flat like there own.

hope this is of help to you.

sarahx

Hi,

I use 'The Edge' acrylic dip system for myself and find it very good. After speaking to them, they have told me that the acrylic powder is a finer grade then regular acrylic powder, but unfortunately only comes in clear.

However, I have used my regular white powder to create a white free edge and have not had a problem, but when I tried my regular pink, it did not seem as clear as when I use it with monomer, so perhaps they are telling the truth.

I have found the following method gives the best results.

1 Sanitise hands, and prepare the natural nail as for any method.
2 Apply tip white or natural, and blend if required.
3 Apply brush on resin to the natural nail and tip of all 10 nails.
4 If using a white tip, apply brush on resin to the natural nail up to the white smile line and immediately dip the nail into clear powder. This will take the product to the same height as the white tip. Remove any excess powder with a soft brush.
5 Apply brush on resin now to entire surface and again dip into clear powder.
6 Remove powder with brush, and apply 2 coats of brush on resin.
7 Activate
8 Repeat on all nails, gently tidy up product with a 240 grit file, white block and shine or alternatively use a high gloss top coat gel to give a permanent shine. I have found the best one to be the lightbox powerseal suitable for all systems, available from Nail Order.

if using a natural tip that has been blended, I do the following.
4 Apply brush on resin to free edge creating a smile line and dip into regular white powder, brush off any excess.
5 Apply brush on resin up to smile line and dip into clear powder, brush off excess.
6 Apply brush on resin to entire surface and dip in clear powder.
7 Apply 2 coats of resin.
8 Activate
Finish as for above.

If you want any further info, just pm me and I will try to help.

I find this system excellent for natural nail overlays as an alternative for fibre/silk wrap.

Tracey

Resin system do not need primers as they form covalent bonds to the natural nail plate. Saying that though, they are still simple polymers so the bond can weaken over time (especially in solvents or even water).

I wouldnt be as concerned about getting a polymer (ie Perfect Colour Pink) on the skin as it contains mostly inert items and the BPO content is miniscule. However, I am not sure the pros and cons of doing this. Polymers used for L&P are designed for L&P, not for resin applications, so I would stick to the guidlines and system the manufacturer recommends.

Hope this helps

naturalnails said:
I have always been intrigued by these dip systems (not necessarily in a good way LOL).

Are the fingers dipped into normal powder - ie. CND Perfect colour white or is it specially formulated to be repeatedly used on the skin.

Surely this is one of the things we need to avoid as technicians - or am I way off mark here.

I can't comment on CND powders as I do not use them...However, the minimal amount of acrylic powder that would come into contact with the skin during a dip, although admittedly possessing some risk of contact allergy (dermatitis) from repeated exposure, represents a low risk in comparison with the volatile substances contained in the liquid catalyst (monomer) / powder mixture which is potentially much more harmful if contact with the skin is made.

Therefore the risk to the client from dipping is surely less than that from accidental skin contact during liquid and powder application.

HOWEVER! a more worthwhile concern should be that constant inhalation and exposure to volatile products represents a far larger health risk to both the tech and the client than topical exposure ever will!:rolleyes:

A

annalooby said:
in comparison with the volatile substances contained in the liquid catalyst (monomer) / powder mixture which is potentially much more harmful if contact with the skin is made.

Therefore the risk to the client from dipping is surely less than that from accidental skin contact during liquid and powder application.

HOWEVER! a more worthwhile concern should be that constant inhalation and exposure to volatile products represents a far larger health risk to both the tech and the client than topical exposure ever will!:rolleyes:

A

Actually, the truth is that there is very little risk of overexposure to any type of liquid monomer whether it be in the liquid form or the vapour form.

You may not like the odour of monomer liquid , but that is not an indication that monomer is dangerous. In fact it has been proven again and again (and mentioned so many times I am quite bored of it now), that the amounts of monomer technicians work with, and the low levels of ppm found in salons (which has been measured) represents no risk at all to technicians who are working following manufacturers guidelines. Ever cleaned spots off your clothes with Carbontetrachloride (cleaning fluid) or worked in a dry cleaners???? Huge risk of inhailation if you don't follow the guidelines on the bottle. Do we still use it? Yes. Do we follow the guidelines? Yes.

As for overexposure (and an occasional accidental touching of the skin with monomer does not constitute overexposure) how many times have you actually seen a client who is allergic to monomer liquid?? I have heard of technicians who have become allergic to (mainly odourless monomer liquid and gels and even a few to liquid monomer in liquid and powder systems, I even know someone very well who is (unusually) violently allergic to EC resin .... but these are rare exceptions and usually on investigation one finds out that these people were working very carelessly and not following manufacturers guidelines for safe handling.

In 20 years, I NEVER have witnessed a client have an allergic reaction to any nail product I have ever used. . But I have personally known of MANY hairdressers who have suffered from severe contact dermatitus from shampooing. (Have they banned the use of shampoo in salons?? Come on ... lets get real with the scare stuff!

I would think there was a more worth while concern about inhailation of all this brushed off powder (where does that go?) with these 'dip' systems and sanitary issues as technicians recycle the powder they have brushed off (using the sme brush on evey client) into a bowl to be used again ... I have witnessed this being done many times at show demonstrations!!

Any brushed off powder, (which is extremely minimal) is brushed onto desk roll or extractor and is not re-used. A brush that can be correctly cleaned may be used or alternatively a clean nail wipe.

Tracey

what are the drawback of this system? its just have not heard of it used much

geeg said:
In 20 years, I NEVER have witnessed a client have an allergic reaction to any nail product I have ever used. . But I have personally known of MANY hairdressers who have suffered from severe contact dermatitus from shampooing. (Have they banned the use of shampoo in salons?? Come on ... lets get real with the scare stuff!

I would think there was a more worth while concern about inhailation of all this brushed off powder (where does that go?) with these 'dip' systems and sanitary issues as technicians recycle the powder they have brushed off (using the sme brush on evey client) into a bowl to be used again ... I have witnessed this being done many times at show demonstrations!!

Getting real with the 'scare stuff' as you put it was exactly the point of my post :rolleyes: - ie that any risk, is minimal and the risk originally suggested (contact to the skin from powder) was therefore tiny. And there is such a thing as 'overkill' - it's not possible to truly 'sterilise' anything in the salon anyway and a totally pathogen free environment is not only unecessary but practically impossible. Reasonable, sensible sanitary approaches in line with state recommendations should be enough for the safety of clients and tech.

As for sanitary issues with 'dip' systems, as Tracey mentioned, with correct procedures (sanitising implements, sprinkling rather than dipping, cleaning brush, dust reduction etc etc), they can be just as safe as any of the other systems.

A

geeg said:

I'm glad to see we are all in agreement.

I do know how to use the dip method myself ... what I was pointing out was that the times I have seen it demonstrated at shows ... particularly by one company ... they actually re-cycled the powder into a bowl and used the same brush on everyone. If they are doing that at shows, what are they teaching??

1. Hygiene = the liquids being used kill all known germs and viruses, dead.

2. I know a lot of hairdressers and don't know any with contact dermatitus, perhaps you should ask Loreal and Wella for their research on this. Major problem is that the constant use of products strips the natural oils out of the skin ( as they are supposed to do to clena hair ) The hairdressers can solve the problem simply with top brand products and good skin care regime.

3. I am desperate to see this proven medical research ( not form a chemist ) that monomer inhallation is safe. As far as I can find out no clinical trials have been held to determine a safe ppm. Perhaps we should get the H & S Executive to start random sampling? We could all lobby them together.

4.All salon equipment can be sterilised and the risk of direct infection is highest from body fluids.

5. The powder is a relatively hostile environment for germs and bacteria but you can be sure mixed with the liquid its better than neat bleach.

Hey NAG, try looking into the studies by the CIR and FDA on EMA monomer exposure. Then look into similar studies on acrylates and gluteraldehyde.

I think nag need a holiday go sit some where and quiet and not think too much .

Mui from Thailand

Ruth and I think he should crawl into his UV light box and get 'cured' from what ever is obviously ailing him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAO...Mui maybe you can come visit Japan as I'm looking forward to seeing my friends for the water feastival....

I was reading some of cutie(NAG) posts last night and was getting very annoyed i didn't reply as i couldn't think of anything to say that was printable!!

I am so pleased with the BAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BKnOki said:
LMAO...Mui maybe you can come visit Japan as I'm looking forward to seeing my friends for the water feastival....

Sawsdee ka bknoki

Do you have same same us in japan or you come to Thailand for see us .

In chaing mai north Thailand they start on number 10 apr but in phuket we have number 13 apr i maybe work early because for gay festival we paint body and win first prize in carnival i not sure if some body customer want for us to work but after i will close shop and open again nite time .

In Thailand every body happy i like too much .

Mui from Thailand

BKnOki said:

Bnkoki sawasdee ka

I do not know how but nag thread now about water festival :D :biggrin: :)

I think is what farang speak go off topic :eek:

Mui from the land of smiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back