Acrylic Extensions just dont last

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy83

Reaction score
Hi all. I dont know what im fdoing wrong, have tried searching thru the site to see if a can get any help but am fairly new to it and not having any joy.

i know people say it take a good 80-100 sets perhaps to get them right but i didnt expect my clients to be losing them after a week....admittedly its only been on friends and family at the minute as im not happy to go and do them on the public whilst this is occuring.
Im prepping them how i should, blending correctly.....origially with a 240 grit board but then see someone use a sanding block? what does everyone use to blend? and how many layers of acrylic does anyone i use....i tend to use 4 which i was taught but still breaking! can anyone help?

Thanks x

are you using a tip and dip system? with you saying you use four layers R xx

Hiya Tracey

Welcome to the salon geek.

It can be disheartening when learning to do enhancements at the beginnning. what system are you using? I suggest speaking to your trainers about this and perhaps have sone one 2 one training as it could be many things that are causing this.

Dont lose hope - you will get there.

I have had a look in your profile to get a better insight but it doesnt actually say what type of nail enhancement course you have done - this could help us.

Are you doing these sets on friends and family for free? This could also have a bearing - it might be nothing you are doing wrong but your "clients" are not looking after them as they dont value them - they were free and Tracy will fix them for free - if you know what I mean.

When you say 4 layers, do you mean beads, 1 for the free edge, 1 for the stress area and apex and then 1 at the cuticle and a final one at the apex again. There are no right and wrong ways of number of beads as long as the resulting nail is structurally correct.

there is a tutorial on here called perfect prep. It helped me loads, and got rid of a lot of my problems. this along with your file/brush control, product application and lots and lots of practice will sort you out. hth. R xx

These could help mate.. dont loose heart.. I think natural nails may have a point.. let your friends and family know that while you are learning anything that happens with their enhancements needs to be told to you in detail.. let them know that as soon as they think there is a problem to show you straight away and dont pick or try and fix them theirselves.. I now only have 2 hand models.. the rest i charge, for products if not labour!

In the meantime.. have a look through these..

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/12048-perfect-preparation-prevents-poor-performance.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9096-product-control-part-3-zone-2-making-last.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9200-product-control-part-4-zone-3-making-disappear.html

Remember.. no one started off perfect.. learn from your mistakes and make sure you get some joy from what you get right!.. most of all give yourself a break!

Hi all. I dont know what im fdoing wrong, have tried searching thru the site to see if a can get any help but am fairly new to it and not having any joy.

i know people say it take a good 80-100 sets perhaps to get them right but i didnt expect my clients to be losing them after a week....admittedly its only been on friends and family at the minute as im not happy to go and do them on the public whilst this is occuring.
Im prepping them how i should, blending correctly.....origially with a 240 grit board but then see someone use a sanding block? what does everyone use to blend? and how many layers of acrylic does anyone i use....i tend to use 4 which i was taught but still breaking! can anyone help?

Thanks x

Hiya ...4 layers of what ...? you say acrylic but is this Gel.. L&P or Wraps...?

How are your prepping....?

Could they be too long ...?

Don't worry i am sure once we have a bit for info we will be able to help you further. xx

No, am mixing it myself

I was just shown to use one bead and spread it..........looks as though that may be where im failing then.....i even bought a few dvd's showing how its done and they did the same to which i couldnt understand what i was doing wrong.

:| What system are you using?

i use the L&P method. preperation is exactly as it should be but i think like someone of the girls mentioned earlier i am placing the bead on the nail and spreading it on the whole name rather than in steps......was never shown this?

Thanks all, you've really helped out and made me feel more positive about it all. xxx

i use the L&P method. preperation is exactly as it should be but i think like someone of the girls mentioned earlier i am placing the bead on the nail and spreading it on the whole name rather than in steps......was never shown this?

Thanks all, you've really helped out and made me feel more positive about it all. xxx
Who did you train with ...?

What do you mean by this?

What kind of training have you had?
Have you qualified yet?

Yeah i didnt quite get that one either. What products are you using. you say on your website and in your profile nothing about which systems you are using. we need to know so that we can advise you correctly. It could be that you are using a really poor quality product.
is it the gel system that is lifting? acrylic or fiberglass???? why are you mixing it yourself? and why 4 layers?
if you can give us more info we should be able to help you with the prob:)
HTH
Jen

I am currently using The Edge acylic liquid and powder, mixing myself......applying the bead on the nail and spreading across the whole nail, painting on as though you would varnish......i work through the whole hand and do thi 4 times.

These could help mate.. dont loose heart.. I think natural nails may have a point.. let your friends and family know that while you are learning anything that happens with their enhancements needs to be told to you in detail.. let them know that as soon as they think there is a problem to show you straight away and dont pick or try and fix them theirselves.. I now only have 2 hand models.. the rest i charge, for products if not labour!

In the meantime.. have a look through these..

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/12048-perfect-preparation-prevents-poor-performance.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9096-product-control-part-3-zone-2-making-last.html
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/9200-product-control-part-4-zone-3-making-disappear.html

Remember.. no one started off perfect.. learn from your mistakes and make sure you get some joy from what you get right!.. most of all give yourself a break!

If you read the above links these should help you i think that if you search through tutorials there should also be pics to explain
You only need to apply 1 layer in 3 zones you shouldnt be painting it on like polish.

Hi and welcome. Do you mind me asking, have you taken an actual course or are you self taught? The reason I ask is because the application method you are describing is nothing like I was taught by creative. 4 layers sounds like a hell of a lot of product, even if its applied thinly. Personally I was taught zone sculpting and it works fine for me. If youre having probs I would ask your educator about this method and give it a go, because its not about how many layers you apply, but how you apply.
Good luck.

who did you train with?:|

i cant seem to view the pictures, does anyone know how i can do this or explain where each zome is. thanks

i cant seem to view the pictures, does anyone know how i can do this or explain where each zome is. thanks

to not know the zones would indicate that you have no training, if this is the case then the only advise i feel sensible would be to get some training. Nail enhancements cannot be taught through a website IMO...check out the training threads on here...:)

Latest posts

Back