Acrylic Extensions just dont last

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi. Ok..... This might sound a bit harsh and I apologise to anyone I offend with this, but I'm just speaking my mind.........
From what you have said I think it sounds like you have not had any training. If this is the case then this is very dangerous because applying good enhancements is not about sticking some tips on then slapping a load of acrylic over the top. For a start there's the health and safety aspect to consider eg how would you recognise a contra indication without the proper training, not to mention the fact that you would not get any public liability insurance without a recognised qualification. I am a newly trained nail tech, and can tell you that they dont call em technicians for nothing, the application of enhancements is very technical; even with my foundation course behind me I know I have sooo much more to learn, and so I would strongly advise against trying to become a nail tech without any training.
The other aspect to this that I would mention is that proper training costs money, lots of it, and personally, if I was an experienced tech, I would not be willing to share the benefit of my training and experience with someone who thinks they can do just as good a job without having any training themselves. If I am wrong then I apologise profusely, but honestly the application method and knowledge you have described just doesnt fit the bill for someone who has had proper training.

I am currently using The Edge acylic liquid and powder, mixing myself......applying the bead on the nail and spreading across the whole nail, painting on as though you would varnish......i work through the whole hand and do thi 4 times.

To be fair to tracey83, This doesnt surprise me as my first training was with The Edge and I was shown 2 methods of applying L&P, the first being using the 3 zone method and the 2nd being shown the all in one method where you treat the whole nail as 1 zone! (yes i know what you are all going to say!!!) :grr:

I would also add that this training was so good that the Educator signed me off for UV Gel application without even seeing me do a full set of UV Gel nails!

but Tracey hasn't said she has done training with edge...just that she uses edge products. i think there are 3-4 posts asking if she has done any training and as yet she hasn't answered that question.

To be fair to tracey83, This doesnt surprise me as my first training was with The Edge and I was shown 2 methods of applying L&P, the first being using the 3 zone method and the 2nd being shown the all in one method where you treat the whole nail as 1 zone! (yes i know what you are all going to say!!!) :grr:

I would also add that this training was so good that the Educator signed me off for UV Gel application without even seeing me do a full set of UV Gel nails!
From reading this thread, there's 3 zone application and yes one bead application if using one colour powder, never heard of painting l/p on in four coats.

Did your training include gel also and that's why they signed you off for it?

I am currently using The Edge acylic liquid and powder, mixing myself......applying the bead on the nail and spreading across the whole nail, painting on as though you would varnish......i work through the whole hand and do thi 4 times.

well no offence but thats where your failing.. I dont know anyone that applys (or teachs ppl to apply) L&P like that... and what exactly are you mixing? there is no mixing with L&P - well yes there is but its done on the brush with each bead - when u say mixing I can help but picture you mixing up a big pot of something... Your beads should be applied in zones one, two and three and shaped as you go.. L&P is not nail polish and not designed to be applied as such..... However I wouldnt have a clue what the "edge" brand is.. but if its a traditional L&P your application is wrong.

Regardless if you have trained or not.. I think you could benifit from more training.. I have found that training is so benificial and helps control the frustration that comes with not knowing why something is happening.. Good luck!

Hi,

Ok, so I think we've all established that this is probably not the way to be doing any form of enhancement but to Tracy's credit at least she has come here for some advice.

Even if you have had training, then I would suggest that you go to another company and retrain as the method that you've been shown is not one I've ever come across (except in gel I think!). If you have trained previously I would definitely question their own skills and training as I don't think this is the 'acceptable' method.

I appreciate that in the beginning it can be very frustrating and even a little soul-destroying but that's to be expected with little or no training or poor training. Have a look at some different courses (which I know all cost money) or at the very least take a look at the tutorials on here.

I think I speak on behalf of everyone when I say good luck and I hope you start getting some good result soon. But, please get some more training as this will help you.

Hi all,

firstly as you've all said i've not yet answered as to whether im trained or not.....I have a Diploma as a beauty tehnician and currently working towards my city and guilds. i have had training in Gel fibreglass and silk nail enhancements.....but never acrylic so i know the prep, basics and contraindications etc but is simply the overlay, technique i am unsure of......its just i have seen so many people use different techniques applying the product its always difficult to know who is actually doing this correctly. when i say mixing the liquid and powder i mean the bead, getting it to the correct consistency and applying over the entire nail.

sorry guys.....

Hiya Tracey...well with all that under your belt you would sail through a L&P class...you'll get so much from it. Good luck xx

Hi all,

firstly as you've all said i've not yet answered as to whether im trained or not.....I have a Diploma as a beauty tehnician and currently working towards my city and guilds. i have had training in Gel fibreglass and silk nail enhancements.....but never acrylic so i know the prep, basics and contraindications etc but is simply the overlay, technique i am unsure of......its just i have seen so many people use different techniques applying the product its always difficult to know who is actually doing this correctly. when i say mixing the liquid and powder i mean the bead, getting it to the correct consistency and applying over the entire nail.

sorry guys.....

The application of l&p is different than that of gel, fibreglass and silk. This is probably why peps are recommending more training in l&p application. I've been using l&p for 7 years and have just started to learn gel, it's a lot different than my tried and true l&p application.:eek: Think of the l&p training as another feather in your cap. :hug::)

From reading this thread, there's 3 zone application and yes one bead application if using one colour powder, never heard of painting l/p on in four coats.

Did your training include gel also and that's why they signed you off for it?

Sorry Cathie - I said that quote with a hint of sarcasasm or at least that was how it was intended! - nope - she never saw me do any gel nails! hence why i retrained with Creative for L&P.

vicky

did you get properly trained????? from what I am reading it does not sound like it. If you were then I would go back to the trainer. If not you really should do some proper training.

opps missed out a whole page of this thread .... sorry !!!!! sounded a bit harsh ... having read the rest of the thread ! ... but still suggest training in L&P would be beneficial ! I am still struggling !!!!

Girls, you'll be pleased to know i have booked myself in and doing a course in acrylics next week!......weill let you know once done...xx

Well Done !!!!! Good Luck Tracy

L x

yep goodluck!:hug:

Latest posts

Back