Acrylic fumes in home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Isobel's nails

Reaction score
Hi there ive currently passed exams for manicure and gel and going to do my acrylic course and like my gel im practicing my acrylic but worried about tge fumes , I havea 3 yr old I do ooen all windows in front room when doing it but hubby said it really stinks any advice would be appreciated xx
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have a 6 and 2 yr old and the smell does not worry them. Although the smell makes my 3 yr old sister sick. I think it depends on the child

Thank you for replying been worried lol are the fumes not harmful , it doesn't seem to affect us but its very strong :-/ x

Fumes are not harmful but not everyone is a fan of the smell. There are ways to minimize the odours, like dispensing only what you need for the set, keeping a tightly sealed lid on, having a cover on your garbage can, dumping garbage out asap, etc... or use products that don't offend so much.
Good quality products have come along and their vapours aren't nearly as bad as others. Once I finish a set and get rid of the remains the next person that walks in has no idea I had just finished a full set of acrylics ;) thanks CND!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

I cqnt open a bottle of acrylic liquid in my house without my son (7) being sick.
It doesnt cause harm just offends the nose for some. I dont do acrylic in my house at all. Thats not very helpful advice i know but it definitely isnt harmful. Keeping it all covered and closed as much as possible helps as well as using it in a well ventilated room helps reduce the smell.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using SalonGeek mobile app

Good habits and good ventilation (which every single manufacturer recommends).

A little education for all in the correct terminology to use!
Nail products release vapours ... Particles in air (like colone); they do not create FUMES which are particles carried in smoke (like exhaust).

The good habits:

You can Minimize odour to practically zero without spending a penny! Just by working smart.

The main thing that causes odour is wiping your monomer out of your brush onto a dry paper towel .... This is the worst thing you can do.

Dampen a gauze pas with Scrub Fresh or your nail sanitizer and dedicate that pad as your brush wiping area and you will loose 70% of the vapour in the air at a stroke!

Use metal bins for all waste and empty twice a day.
Always keep you monomer in a glass or metal dappen dish and keep covered when not using it.

Of course as well to help, you can also choose to use a low odour monomer like CND Retention+

X

Thank you ladies I needed reassurance as I love acrylic it takes practice applying but I think by the time my course is here I might just have it right :)
I certainly didn't want to stop it as in business money is money and i love all creations you can do with it xx

Plenty of ventilation as said, you could end up with a headache yourself otherwise . . . but I've done nails at home for 10 years and started when my two were quite little.

I think the thing to be more worried about is keeping poisonous products away from them, for example monomer is lethal . . . and the rest, and Im sure you've taken all that into consideration! I was always a little neurotic where all those bits were concerned.

Oh yes little legs is not allowed nrar mummy when nails are being done lol

Hi, can I ask where you store your flammable products like barbicide etc? X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, can I ask where you store your flammable products like barbicide etc? X

My barbicide is at the back of my mums (that's were my beauty room is) kitchen cupboard with all her other cleaning products and my acetone is just a small bottle in my drawer kept away from sun light x x

I think I might be a bit odd, I actually like the smell of L & P! My other half goes potty when I do my nails at home, he hates the smell.

In a sealed box with other smelly products :)

My hubby says I should put it in a metal box, he's made me paranoid now :/

I am fortunate that I have two outside doors in my salon right near my manicure table so I usually have both of these open whilst applying l&P.

However the room can still smell so as soon as I am finished I remove my towel that I have used to wipe my brush on and all wipes with any monomer on them.
I clean my monomer dish with paper towel and remove this to my garbage bin outside.

I find once all the waste has been eliminated and taken outside the smell in the room disappears quite quickly and within half an hour it is almost non existent.

Ventilation and waste removal is the key in my opinion.

Hi,
We have just introduced a dual purpose mobile extractor unit that can be used with a disposable activated carbon filter that will help eliminate odours and fumes. It comes with a remote control so can be turned on/off up/down from up to 8 metres away, see our website for details. Good extraction and ventilation is very important, especially around children. Comments like "fumes are not harmful" are obviously wrong, fumes are mostly harmful but in varying degrees, in different people, and depends on how much exposure etc. There is a lot advice about this subject from the Health and Safety Executive, in COSHH SR13 it states, ''Acrylic fumes can cause headaches,
dizziness, nausea and irritation''. The document is worth reading and is used by trading standards officers across the UK. Just Google COSHH SR13.
Ambermist

Latest posts

Back