Acrylic getting hot when setting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steffanie

Steff
Reaction score
over the last few weeks my clients are experiencing a burning sensation as the acrylic is setting, any ideas what is causing this suddenly please?
I use the nsi attractions system but I was using the super bond primer, stopped using that and used the attraction one thinking it may be that but nope it's still happening.

It's an exothermic reaction, also known as a 'heat spike'. It's usually more noticeable with gels when curing in the lamp, but the same chemical reaction takes place with L&P but at a slower rate so they client doesn't feel it. Although if you were to touch the L&P as it cures you would feel it warm slightly whilst hardening.

The reason your clients are feeling it more now is because of the unusually hot weather we are experiencing, it always happens in the summer, for a number of reasons....clients are natually already hot so any increase in temperature is more noticeable.....the amibient temperature will affect your products, hence crystalising in the winter and heat spike and monomer evaporation in the dappen dish in the summer. The L&P will set up faster so clients are more likely to feel the heat spike. You will also probably, unknowingly, working dryer, as the monomer evaporates from your brush and whilst the bead sets up, working dry can also cause the heat spike.

So all in all, it's because it's hot :D

Well it's relieving to know it isn't me lol thank you Is there anything I can do to control this? I feel I work quite wet already x

Well it's relieving to know it isn't me lol thank you Is there anything I can do to control this? I feel I work quite wet already x

More, smaller beads. Keep the room as cool as possible, just ride the tide, we don't get this kind of weather for long, just remember for next year.

I think trinity you are very knowledgable! But I couldn't help laughing at the hot weather comment! Coming from Africa I can't imagine UK ever being hot[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. Well when I lived there it certainly wasn't .

Adding onto that though: I find clients who have a thinner nail can experience more of a sensation then say a client who has thicker nails.
Do you buff the natural nail or etch the surface as they train you ? (I don't I can't bring myself to bugger up the natural nail then after removal you buff again and the if they have new acrylics it's over time can thin the nail: so I don't do this )

I think trinity you are very knowledgable! But I couldn't help laughing at the hot weather comment! Coming from Africa I can't imagine UK ever being hot[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23].

All right show off! With your fancy wall to wall sunshine and warmth :cool::D

We're having our summer, all 2 weeks of it, and as typical Brits we can't cope at all LOL. That said we have had some record breaking temperatures in the last month or so, so we can do it :p

Apologies for only just replying! I am finding its happening more so on people with thinner nails. Particularly new clients who have been going to a NSS and have come to me because their nails are ruined, but it has happened on the odd one with good healthy nails too. I have been etching the nail as that's what I was taught at college xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Apologies for only just replying! I am finding its happening more so on people with thinner nails. Particularly new clients who have been going to a NSS and have come to me because their nails are ruined, but it has happened on the odd one with good healthy nails too. I have been etching the nail as that's what I was taught at college xx
Yeah I always find it happens on people with thin/damaged nails! If you tap the nail it stops it xxx

Give a quick spray with your hand sanitizer. I've only experienced it on really hot days. I put a fan on, windows open and use a lower setting monomer to help.

My sister always experiences this when she breaks a nail, I do her a new sculptured one and as she bites her nail down before the appointment her nail is sensitive and she feels it. When I remove the foil it goes but she doesn't feel it when I'm I filling them, only with the foils.

It's an exothermic reaction, also known as a 'heat spike'. It's usually more noticeable with gels when curing in the lamp, but the same chemical reaction takes place with L&P but at a slower rate so they client doesn't feel it. Although if you were to touch the L&P as it cures you would feel it warm slightly whilst hardening.

The reason your clients are feeling it more now is because of the unusually hot weather we are experiencing, it always happens in the summer, for a number of reasons....clients are natually already hot so any increase in temperature is more noticeable.....the amibient temperature will affect your products, hence crystalising in the winter and heat spike and monomer evaporation in the dappen dish in the summer. The L&P will set up faster so clients are more likely to feel the heat spike. You will also probably, unknowingly, working dryer, as the monomer evaporates from your brush and whilst the bead sets up, working dry can also cause the heat spike.

So all in all, it's because it's hot :D

Chilli hot hot hot

All right show off! With your fancy wall to wall sunshine and warmth :cool::D

We're having our summer, all 2 weeks of it, and as typical Brits we can't cope at all LOL. That said we have had some record breaking temperatures in the last month or so, so we can do it :p

Costa del Dorset over here

Give a quick spray with your hand sanitizer. I've only experienced it on really hot days. I put a fan on, windows open and use a lower setting monomer to help.
We have the door open when it's warm, I don't think it's been warm enough here though to require a fan. Thinking back to clients it's happened with it is only people who have been to a Chinese salon or picked their acrylics off rather than soaking so I think it must be due to the damaged nails xx

Latest posts

Back