Acrylic - help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new here :) so don't shout at me if i get it wrong!

I'm having a total nightmare with one of my clients. I applied tips and acrylic (use Star Nails performance) and when I came to infill the lift was bad so we decided to remove completely (it was quicker than rectifying!!). As she had nail growth she decided to go for natural nail overlay. One week later she informs me that they are lifting at the base (cuticle) and at the tip on a few of them. Did I make the overlay too thin? Should it be as thick as when using tips? Can anybody help coz i'm really not sure what to do about it and being new to this game i'm starting to lose confidence :cry:

Lol Caz xx

Carole Lindsay said:
Hi everyone

I'm new here :) so don't shout at me if i get it wrong!

I'm having a total nightmare with one of my clients. I applied tips and acrylic (use Star Nails performance) and when I came to infill the lift was bad so we decided to remove completely (it was quicker than rectifying!!). As she had nail growth she decided to go for natural nail overlay. One week later she informs me that they are lifting at the base (cuticle) and at the tip on a few of them. Did I make the overlay too thin? Should it be as thick as when using tips? Can anybody help coz i'm really not sure what to do about it and being new to this game i'm starting to lose confidence :cry:

Lol Caz xx
Hi Carole - you could try the star nails help line - I am learning to apply acrylic and the other day I saw one of my clients and she had lifting and I know this was due to the application being too thick at the cuticle - but when I filed it didnt crack or fall away - in the past when this has happened I beleive my ratio was wrong and it was to dry hence the acrylic lifting...I would try a search on 'lifting' and see what comes up from more experience techies ...HTH...Louise

Generally speaking a natural nail overlay should be the same thicknerss as a normal tip and overlay.

Make sure the nail is balanced (thin, thicker, thin) to avoid stress in zone 3 and hence lifting.

If you think balance is not your problem, then lifting will more than likely be caused by incomplete prep. 99% of the time, incomplete prep is the reason for lifting.

If product is lifting from the surface within days of application ... the product was never really bonded to the nail in the first place. There is some barier between the product and the plate. Make sure you prep is meticulously carried out.

If product is lifting from the tip, make sure when you do a natural nail overlay, that you use a form and place your product so that there is always a little bit of an extension from the free edge. If product and natural nail are the exact same length, then the product will tend to split away from the free edge.

Thanx for the help ladies. Louise, it certainly helps knowing that i'm not the only one out there! Gigi, you're a star! I'd heard that there was more chance of lifting away at the free edge on a natural nail overlay but nobody had said how to avoid it!! I'm sure that i'm doing the prep correctly so i dont think its that. I did apply the overlay very thin - would that have been the problem? I thought if the nail wasn't long it would look weird if it was built higher in zone 2.

I've heard a lot of people talk about Nailfresh - what is that? Is it compatible with all L&P?

Thanx again.
Lol Caz xx

Nail Fresh is an Ether based dehydrator. If you are looking for a Nail Prep product then you would be best to use Scrubfresh - Nail Fresh is a supplement to prep with Scrubfresh - not an alternative.

Hope that helps.

Carole Lindsay said:
Thanx for the help ladies. Louise, it certainly helps knowing that i'm not the only one out there! Gigi, you're a star! I'd heard that there was more chance of lifting away at the free edge on a natural nail overlay but nobody had said how to avoid it!! I'm sure that i'm doing the prep correctly so i dont think its that. I did apply the overlay very thin - would that have been the problem? I thought if the nail wasn't long it would look weird if it was built higher in zone 2.

I've heard a lot of people talk about Nailfresh - what is that? Is it compatible with all L&P?

Thanx again.
Lol Caz xx

A thin overlay will still be a strong overlay if the balance is built in. Zone 2 always has to be a little thicker than the other 2 zones or there is no balance. When you press on the tip of he nail ... where the nail bed turns white, is that client's zone 2. This is the area that needs extra strength. It doesn't have to be high, just a little thicker there where the nail takes the stress.

Nail Fresh is a natural nail dehydrator ... a great product, but I would stick to your system. It doesn't look good to have products from different companies all over your desk. I call it 'cherry picking' !! The things in your system should do the job. If they are not, then think indue course of changing to another system.

Thanx a lot, you've been a great help. I already use a dehydrator and i think that if i "cherry pick" as you call it (which i agree with your thoughts on!) surely that is a case of "bad workman blaming his tools"???

I'll keep at it!

Caz xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back