Acrylic lifting after a week, new client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLB

Reaction score
Hi just after some advice from some
Experienced l&p geeks. I had a new client a week ago today just MSG me saying her nails started to lift today is it normal this early on. I've not had any clients have issues with lifting apart from myself duno whether it's due to angles on myself or my rubbish natural nails there really weak and bendy. So kind of stuck what to say or do with her any suggestions I'm thinking to go round and sort them?? X

Hey hun, there may have been a few things that could have caused the lifting.

Some clients have a higher pterygium than others so you need to make sure all is removed before the system is applied. Also, maybe the nail was not fully dehydrated, so I would recommend using an acid free non-lift primer as well as removing the shine from the surface of the nail plate.

Of course there could be hidden or chemical causes to this lifting so have a chat with your client to try and identify if there are any hidden problems.

Finally, I wouldn't worry, it's happened to all of us at some point and we can only learn and grow from our experiences and your client will understand that.

Hope this is a help to you and you manage to figure the problem :)

Georgia x

Hey hun, what liquid and powder system are you using?
New clients can be tricky sometimes, always find out if theyve had enhancements before and where to, if they have had nail treatments using the drills their natural nails are likely to be thinner and weaker than normal and that can cause lifting. If this is the case you can explain that it may take a few infills for her nails to settle and always advise she uses cuticle oil twice a day everyday as this willl help stop the acrylic from drying out and nourish the natural nail and cuticle make sure it does not contain synthetic oils as this will dry out the nail and acrylic
- use cuticle oil with natural oils like almond or grapeseed oil. Every client is different to the next and when you get a new one always explain that it will take a couple of treatments to get to know their nails properly and that they may experience lifting a bit sooner than expected when they have a new set of nails and it will settle in after their next infills treatment.
A few other tips: preparation of the nail plate is essential, do it thoroughly and dont use any product because if there are oils in the cuticle remover you will get lifting. Do it very carefully and gently withoit product so not to damage the nail plate.
Gently use a block sander to remover the shine of nail plate from cuticle to free edge work with the grain not side to side as it weakens the nail plate.
Dehydrate the nail really well.
Ensure that your liquid to powder ratio is spot on, if its to wet or too dry this can cause lifting, brittle enhancements and weak spots.
Hope this helps hun let me know how you get on and if you need somemore help give me a shout. Nadine x

I use nail harmony fusion so kno it's not the product like I say I've not had any clients upto now have issues with lifting. her nails didn't seem very different maybe a tad on the weak side, n note she had said her nails had not been the same since having an electric file on them at local NSS but other the that fine.

I know there's a number of factors involved with lifting, stress, medication, not adhering to the nail plate properly, prep not being done properly, damaged nails etc etc

My usual prep was done, i spend about 20 minutes or so dry prepping so its thorough? will av to arrange going to have a look at them.

Just wanting advice really on next steps dealing with the client charge or no charge she's had them on a week.

Last edited:
Some clients have a higher pterygium than others so you need to make sure all is removed before the system is applied.
Just to clarify- you are referring to cuticle. Pterygium is a medical condition that should under no circumstances be attempted to remove. It is defined as a wing like structure of skin growth. On the nail plate surface its called dorsal pterygium, it is where the matrix has scar tissue causing the peony him to fuse to the nail plate. Dragging it forward.
DermNet nz

Hi just after some advice from some
Experienced l&p geeks. I had a new client a week ago today just MSG me saying her nails started to lift today is it normal this early on. I've not had any clients have issues with lifting apart from myself duno whether it's due to angles on myself or my rubbish natural nails there really weak and bendy. So kind of stuck what to say or do with her any suggestions I'm thinking to go round and sort them?? X

The most likely cause of lifting soon after service is
A) poor preparation
If you have left any cuticle on the nail plate it will lift. Check this clip
Cuticle preperation - fingernail fixer

B) application. If you mix ratio is too wet. Even slightly. It will shrink as it uses (24-48) hours and put stress on its own grip of the nail plate.
Also if you do not leave a free margin and touch any soft tissue with the l&p it will lift.

After a week or more there is actually becoming the chance the client is causing it. Are they too long for her lifestyle/activity level?
Has she knocked/ banged them?
Has she used them as tools?
We're they damaged or thin to start?

Hths

If it is within the first week I would arrange to see her and her nails, if then you think it has been because of your prep or any of the above posted reasons, just do a tidy/repair for no charge.
If you think the client has been heavy handed then make a small nominal charge and give her some aftercare advice.

Thanks for ur replies offered to see her saturday to look at resolving said I would need to have a look in order to see of I can diagnose the cause and what to do. Just waiting to hear from her. Thanku again envy & izzidoll much appreciated. X

Latest posts

Back