Acrylic lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlamourEyes11

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Just a little background! I done NVQ 2 & 3 and qualified 6 years ago!

I haven't really done nails since (other than on myself). I am getting asked more and more lately if I do acrylics so I need to get my ass in gear and perfect them so I can offer this as a treatment!!!

I always have natural tips with acrylic and paint them when I do them on Myself and when I come to infills or removal, there's always lifting!
But I asked my sister in law if I could do a set of French acrylics on her to see if it was something I was just doing on myself or if it's my technique in general and to see how quickly they lifted.

So I done them... Had a bit of a nightmare with my brush... Almost brand new, only used once... On the third finger I wiped on tissue and ALL the bristles came out :( luckily I had a few old brushed with me too!

Anyway, day 4, she said nails started lifting very slightly :( what am I doing wrong, I'm following at prep, not going too close to side walls and cuticle :(
Getting disheartened now, feel I should have kept at it when I finished college as I should be MORE than competent in acrylics by now :(

I'm actually embarrassed by it :( here's a pic of the nails after I'd finished!

ANY advice would be so much appreciated! Thanks geeks!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124063.882571.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124063.882571.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 2,675
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124079.277735.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124079.277735.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 762
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124092.555277.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124092.555277.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 380
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124106.732582.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1335124106.732582.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,810
talk through your nail prep, what products do you use xxx

talk through your nail prep, what products do you use xxx

I use Salon System Profile (I will use more expensive and well known products when I have perfected my skill)

- file free edge of natural nail
- push back cuticles and remove any off the nail bed
- antiseptic spray
- white sanding block over nails
- nail brush to remove dust
- nail dehydrator
- size tips, apply, cut, shape
- use nail brush to remove dust again
- primer
- apply acrylic

Last edited:
I use Salon System Profile (I will use more expensive and well known products when I have perfected my skill)

- file free edge of natural nail
- push back cuticles and remove any off the nail bed
- white sanding block over nails
- nail brush to remove dust
- nail dehydrator
- primer
- size tips and apply

On whitch stage you glue the tips & blend them on the nail?

You shouldn't do anything but applying the acrylic right after applying the primer....
After youve applied primer - you do not size, cut or file the tips or anything ( this should be done before primer.)

Use an ispropyl alcohol on a lint free wipe to remove oils and debris from the nails.
Apply one coat of dehydrator to the nails. Wait 2 minutes.
Apply tips or forms.
Apply one coat of primer to the natural nail only. Avoid contact with skin. Wait 2 minutes.
Apply acrylic product.

You shouldn't do anything but applying the acrylic right after applying the primer....
After youve applied primer - you do not size, cut or file the tips or anything ( this should be done before primer.)

Sorry I apply dehydrator, size and apply tips, cut and file them etc, remove shine with white block then use the nail brush again to remove dust, then apply primer, then begin acrylic!

I have amended my post now! Lol! I was unpacking my suitcase at the time of posting that sorry! :/

Sorry I apply dehydrator, size and apply tips, cut and file them etc, remove shine with white block then use the nail brush again to remove dust, then apply primer, then begin acrylic!

I have amended my post now! Lol! I was unpacking my suitcase at the time of posting that sorry! :/

Sometimes, when I have problems with liftings, Ive cleaned the nail with swipe after filing the final shape of the nail ( I just feel that dust brush alone doesnt remove dust well enough) and then applied bonder and then top coat.

And try to use ispropyl alcohol on a lint free wipe to remove oils and debris from the nails (after using white block)

Hope it made sense :D

Maybe it's nothing to do with your prep, if your getting too close to the cuticle then that might be the reason to the lifting. Just a thought I could be completely wrong.

Getting the acrylic too close to the cuticle is what I ment lol

Sometimes, when I have problems with liftings, Ive cleaned the nail with swipe after filing the final shape of the nail ( I just feel that dust brush alone doesnt remove dust well enough) and then applied bonder and then top coat.

And try to use ispropyl alcohol on a lint free wipe to remove oils and debris from the nails (after using white block)

Hope it made sense :D

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time

So how about:

1 - file free edge of natural nail
2 - push back cuticles and remove any off the nail bed (I don't use any products to do this, this is all dry removal)
3 - antiseptic spray (this says in ingredients isopropyl) DO I NEED THIS STEP HERE?
4 - white sanding block
5 - nail brush to remove dust
6 - antiseptic spray with lint free wipe (this says in ingredients isopropyl)
7 - size tips, apply, cut, shape
8 - use nail brush to remove dust again
9 - antiseptic spray again
10 - dehydrator
11 - primer
12 - apply acrylic

Getting the acrylic too close to the cuticle is what I ment lol

Haha I knew what u meant Katie! I'm not sure it is that :/ I don't go right up to the cuticle, I leave a slight gap anymore and they will need infills after a week! Lol

I am going to lose my marbles over this I'm sure! Lol x

What about aftercare advise, is she applying cuticle oil daily and wearing gloves for washing up?

What about aftercare advise, is she applying cuticle oil daily and wearing gloves for washing up?

She didn't do either as I asked her not to (as Im sure the majority of clients wouldn't follow this anyway for nails! Lol. obviously I would still advise them too though) they should still last more than 4 days before lifting without the aftercare though shouldn't they? :/ they were done in the evening too so she didn't do anything after I left other than watch tv and go to bed!

:(

No I don't think any client listeners to you when you tell them aftercare hahaa but me personally i think cuticle oil is a must. Is her cuticles naturally dry? Also they have lasted about 3 to 4 days before lifting? What's her lifestyle? Ect ect they has to be something because I can't see where your doing wrong from what I have read anyway

Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate you taking the time

So how about:

2 - push back cuticles and remove any off the nail bed (I don't use any products to do this, this is all dry removal)
3 - antiseptic spray (this says in ingredients isopropyl) DO I NEED THIS STEP HERE?
4 - white sanding block
5 - nail brush to remove dust
6 - antiseptic spray with lint free wipe (this says in ingredients isopropyl)
7 - size tips, apply, cut, shape
8 - use nail brush to remove dust again
9 - antiseptic spray again
10 - dehydrator
11 - primer
12 - apply acrylic

Hehe :D

How about:

2 - push back cuticles and remove any off the nail bed ( USING cuticle remover )
3- white sanding block - really well, no shine at all!
4- nail brush to remove dust
5- size tips, apply, cut, shape , blend into own nails
6- use nail brush AND anticeptic ( cleans perfectly before Clean work! )
7- dehydrator ( wait 1,5-2mins )
8- primer (wait till its dry! )
9- apply acrylic

With good products, this should give you perfect results.

Good luck !

Hehe :D

How about:

2 - push back cuticles and remove any off the nail bed ( USING cuticle remover )
3- white sanding block - really well, no shine at all!
4- nail brush to remove dust
5- size tips, apply, cut, shape , blend into own nails
6- use nail brush AND anticeptic ( cleans perfectly before Clean work! )
7- dehydrator ( wait 1,5-2mins )
8- primer (wait till its dry! )
9- apply acrylic

With good products, this should give you perfect results.

Good luck !

Thanks so much, I'll see if she's free Tuesday night and let you know how it goes.

By the way - from looking at the photos, what do you think of the actual look of the nails? X

No I don't think any client listeners to you when you tell them aftercare hahaa but me personally i think cuticle oil is a must. Is her cuticles naturally dry? Also they have lasted about 3 to 4 days before lifting? What's her lifestyle? Ect ect they has to be something because I can't see where your doing wrong from what I have read anyway

With acrylics, this isnt all THAT important ( as acrylic itself is a tuff one ) I have clients who work as cleaners etc. They don't always wear gloves and being contact with strong cleaning liquids etc - and its very rare that we face some lifting problems. :)
With gels- yes -lifestyle matters much more imo.

Thanks so much, I'll see if she's free Tuesday night and let you know how it goes.

By the way - from looking at the photos, what do you think of the actual look of the nails? X

As much as I see, they look goo d to me !
I would use camouflage to build a lon ger nailbad, but thats just matter of taste ;) :p ( As im Estonian, my taste comes from russia hehe :D )

As much as I see, they look goo d to me !
I would use camouflage to build a lon ger nailbad, but thats just matter of taste ;) :p ( As im Estonian, my taste comes from russia hehe :D )

Yes she's a bit of a nail biter! Lol

Haha now you've lost me with camouflage! Lol :embarrassed:

Maybe I'll concentrate on the listing issue then I'll ask about camouflage! Haha! I feel so silly and embarrassed having to go back to basics :(

It was just a thought as I couldn't see any problem with her technique. :)

Latest posts

Back