Acrylic nail pain, help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long shoe

Reaction score
so i’ve had acrylics for about a year. my friend does them. i’ve never had a problem. i love them because they stop me from biting my nails.
however, i’m on vacation right now for a few weeks and needed a fill, so i went to a reputable place to get the fill done. a few nails were chipped and to my suprise she took all of the acrylic off and glued plastic to the end of my nail to get it to the desired length and then put the acrylic over that. my nail tech usually just files the breaks and reshapes new acrylic over it. also she’s never used a plastic thing. she’s only used the stickers that go under your nail to shape.
three of my nails were broken and she did this whole plastic glue thing with those three and out of all of them only one is giving me trouble it really hurts to press on, grab things, or to scratch myself. any idea what could be causing it and how to ease the pain?

Your friend sculpts your nails using forms. The other salon has applied nail tips. Both methods are acceptable and usually down to preference of the nail tech as to which method they use.

It's possible she has applied a nail tip that isn't quite big enough for your nail and that could be why it's a but painful. If so, it should settle within a day or so.

Or, did you notice whether she over filed your natural nail plate when removing your previous set? That could also cause soreness.

If the pain continues though, and if you are sure the salon is a reputable one as you mentioned, you should go back and tell them. However, if you think it's possible they could be one of the many what we call Non Standard Salons that are unfortunately everywhere, then that's not such a good idea as they could do more harm than good and if it's really painful you might be better off seeking medical advice.

Your friend sculpts your nails using forms. The other salon has applied nail tips. Both methods are acceptable and usually down to preference of the nail tech as to which method they use.

It's possible she has applied a nail tip that isn't quite big enough for your nail and that could be why it's a but painful. If so, it should settle within a day or so.

Or, did you notice whether she over filed your natural nail plate when removing your previous set? That could also cause soreness.

If the pain continues though, and if you are sure the salon is a reputable one as you mentioned, you should go back and tell them. However, if you think it's possible they could be one of the many what we call Non Standard Salons that are unfortunately everywhere, then that's not such a good idea as they could do more harm than good and if it's really painful you might be better off seeking medical advice.
she did file my nail plate with a drill(?) so perhaps that is what caused it. but thank you! the soreness is tolerable so if it doesn’t settle in a few days i can just wait it out until i go back home and see my friend. thanks so much for the information!

she did file my nail plate with a drill(?) so perhaps that is what caused it. but thank you! the soreness is tolerable so if it doesn’t settle in a few days i can just wait it out until i go back home and see my friend. thanks so much for the information!

Hopefully your friend will be able to sort it out for you, but if it gets worse, or doesn't get better, probably a good idea to get it looked at, even if it's by a pharmacist whilst you're away.

Latest posts

Back