Acrylic nail starter?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EffieJ

Reaction score
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone would care to assist.

I was booked in to start my Acrylic nail course a in March but due to Covid-19 it has had to be pushed back ( totally understandable) I have completed all my online training but have yet to do any practical.

I am looking for an Acrylic kit so I can have a play around on test hands ( will not be used on anyone ) but I'm wondering what to go for?

Some people are saying to me it doesn't matter if your not using it on an actual person but I want to get a feel for a good product from the get go.

Can you provide any suggestions/opinions?

Thank you

Nope, wait until you start your training properly, you've read your notes, you surely know how important it is to use them correctly. Picking up bad habits now will be impossible to train you back out of.

If you want to invest in yourself and your business purchase some recommended text books and read more information. Marian Newman's books are highly recommended. Nail Class by Gigi Rouse and anything by Doug Schoon. You'll learn more from any of those three than buying kit.

I think the biggest players are CJP and glitterbels. I think most techs will end up using them so may as well start as you mean to go on right? Or perhaps Naio too ( although I just can't rate their gel polish for on natural nails) and take a look at all of the tutorials by Kirsty meakin

Omg I love kirstys videos I have been watching them for forever she is amazing. I really want to give it ago but people say not to until I have started training

I would never attempt anything on a person but just looking at beads being picked up and stuff to get the right size.

I have already been on naio nails and added a starter kit to my basket but I haven't bought it because I will want to have a go

I think the biggest players are CJP and glitterbels. I think most techs will end up using them so may as well start as you mean to go on right? Or perhaps Naio too ( although I just can't rate their gel polish for on natural nails) and take a look at all of the tutorials by Kirsty meakin

Omg I love kirstys videos I have been watching them for forever she is amazing. I really want to give it ago but people say not to until I have started training

I would never attempt anything on a person but just looking at beads being picked up and stuff to get the right size.

I have already been on naio nails and added a starter kit to my basket but I haven't bought it because I will want to have a go

I love that you want to practice your beads this is probably the single best thing you can do! When you have your liquid to powder ratio down and know what kind of brush you are comfortable with you will be well away! You can get cheap practice hands on eBay too. Just go for it! Also I would suggest buying a bead practice mat, which is like a reusable sheet with different sizes and shapes to practice filling in with the acrylic. I got one about a year ago to refresh myself. A little tip too - don't buy a shit brush, a good brush will make your life so much easier!!!

I love that you want to practice your beads this is probably the single best thing you can do! When you have your liquid to powder ratio down and know what kind of brush you are comfortable with you will be well away! You can get cheap practice hands on eBay too. Just go for it! Also I would suggest buying a bead practice mat, which is like a reusable sheet with different sizes and shapes to practice filling in with the acrylic. I got one about a year ago to refresh myself. A little tip too - don't buy a shit brush, a good brush will make your life so much easier!!!

You are honestly so helpful!
I never heard of a bead practise mat think I will look for one today. Are there any brushes you would recommend. I think the thing is for me I have wanted to do it for a long long time and I never had any confidence in my self to think I could do something that takes so much skill. But I think I'm going to put my everything in to it. I have booked and paid for my acrylics course and am booking on the gel course as soon as the training school re opens.

I never heard of a bead practise mat think I will look for one today. Are there any brushes you would recommend. I think the thing is for me I have wanted to do it for a long long time and I never had any confidence in my self to think I could do something that takes so much skill. But I think I'm going to put my everything in to it. I have booked and paid for my acrylics course and am booking on the gel course as soon as the training school re opens.

Hi again. Personally I like round kolinsky brushes and size 8 is good for beginners but a lot of people do prefer oval brushes so you'll have to have a play around. I'm glad you've taken the plunge and booked your courses Don't be nervous, everyone struggles to start with they may not admit it but nails is just one of those practice makes perfect things x it's so refreshing to hear that someone wants to take their time before working on clients, a lot rush into it and don't do the best job -happy practicing !

Download and laminate the Tammy Taylor practice sheet it will help you with bead size and placement

I have put a link below for a free download of a practice mat. Good luck x

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone would care to assist.

I was booked in to start my Acrylic nail course a in March but due to Covid-19 it has had to be pushed back ( totally understandable) I have completed all my online training but have yet to do any practical.

I am looking for an Acrylic kit so I can have a play around on test hands ( will not be used on anyone ) but I'm wondering what to go for?

Some people are saying to me it doesn't matter if your not using it on an actual person but I want to get a feel for a good product from the get go.

Can you provide any suggestions/opinions?

Thank you
I like CND, and Tammy Taylor these have been industry favs for quite sometime now. From nail Techs, I hear very good things about these two. And they are very user friendly, not complicated at all.

Hi again. Personally I like round kolinsky brushes and size 8 is good for beginners but a lot of people do prefer oval brushes so you'll have to have a play around. I'm glad you've taken the plunge and booked your courses Don't be nervous, everyone struggles to start with they may not admit it but nails is just one of those practice makes perfect things x it's so refreshing to hear that someone wants to take their time before working on clients, a lot rush into it and don't do the best job -happy practicing !
OMG, it's been so long since I was in School I forgot about Bead Practicing sheets. I was also an instructor back in 1998-2000 I taught the Nail Tech class for a year and I had my students work on their bead sheet for at least 20min each class. It's really helpful to practice getting that perfect consistency. Not-too-wet, not-to-dry along with making sure it has no dry areas in the beads. And your also correct about those practice hands and fingers, they just frustrated me, just like with the heads for Cosmetologists, you can't get a good face on a fake head!! Lol.
Great advice

Latest posts

Back