Acrylic nails advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByE

Reaction score
Hello! I’m a newly qualified nail technician (March) and was recommended a few company names for products to trial once qualified, but I wanted to know what your thoughts were. I’m still really struggling with the process and although the end product looks good, I’m finding that my clients nails aren’t lasting longer than 2 weeks, sometimes even less! At the minute I’m currently only charging £10 so my products are covered but I am not making any profit. Until my acrylic nail standard improves and last longer, I would not feel happy charging more than this. I currently use Naio Nails and originally bought their starter kit which I am still using. I’ve tried everything for longer lasting nails, I ensure all dust is wiped off, there’s no cuticle or anything else on the nails and also ensure there is no shine. I use dehydrator and primer (sometimes even 2x coats).. Any advice would be great as I really enjoy doing nails but panic when someone books in for a set, that they aren’t going to last, especially when it’s for a big event or someone’s holiday.. Please help!!

It's not unusual for beginners to struggle with long lasting nails, it's part of the process and learning phase, just because you've finished your course doesn't mean you can turn out perfect nails, I'm 15+ years in and still encounter problems some days, it's the nature of our work.

Can you be more specific about your issues... is it lifting, breaking, chipping? where is it happening, free edge, cuticle, side walls???, after how long? All clients, just one or two?

All of the above issues are down to different reasons - most of which should have been covered in your training but we may be able to give you some pointers. You're using a good brand of product, so unlikely to be product issues, probably down to application. It could be a ratio issue, again common in beginners but we'll see if we can help if you give us some specifics.

It may be that it's time for some further training, a beginners course is just that, most of us will need more training once we've had a few weeks/months of actual working. It refreshes the stuff we learned, lets face it there is so much to take in it's impossible to remember everything. Sometimes a quick half day/1-2-1 session/couple of hours refresher is enough to trigger the memory of the bits we missed.

Thanks for your reply! I’m unsure of how the nails are lifting however they are coming off as a whole nail and not leaving/causing any damage to the natural nail. Is there any tips you can give that helped you or advice or usual problems people encounter?
To be honest, I feel like I’ve had to teach my self a lot of the things learnt as the course I went on wasn’t particularly the best in my opinion and I’ve learnt most from the internet! I do know however when I do my own nails that they lift from closer to the cuticles than anywhere else.

Thanks for your reply! I’m unsure of how the nails are lifting however they are coming off as a whole nail and not leaving/causing any damage to the natural nail. Is there any tips you can give that helped you or advice or usual problems people encounter?
To be honest, I feel like I’ve had to teach my self a lot of the things learnt as the course I went on wasn’t particularly the best in my opinion and I’ve learnt most from the internet! I do know however when I do my own nails that they lift from closer to the cuticles than anywhere else.

Coming off whole means the product was never actually bonded to the nail, especially if it's coming off without leaving any damage. Naio is a good product so provided you are using it correctly (the whole system, not mixing and matching primers/liquid/powders from other brands) it must either be mix ratio, prep, or application.

Application - are you pressing the bead into place, many people thing you paint it on like polish, you don't it must be pressed into place, this ensures adhesion. It's easy to forget as you get towards the free edge and just pull it down, it needs to be patted and pressed all the way down.

Prep - the product will not adhere and bond with the nail plate if there are any contaminants left on the surface, this can be non-living tissue, oils, soaps, etc. Correct prep stages much be done and rhe nails need to be dehydrated and primed with the relevant products.

Mix Ratio - this needs to be right, too wet and the final overlay will be brittle - it doesn't have enough structure to be solid. Too dry and it will crack and crumble, it doesn't have enough flexibility. Imagine the product like cement - too much water and it won't be strong, too much cement powder and it will be lumpy and dry and impossible to work with. Incorrect ratio can cause lifting problems, add that to improper prep and application and you're never going to get nails that stay on.

From what you've said I suspect your training wasn't really up to scratch, it's a shame as there are so many on here struggling with rubbish training. If you are serious about nails and a career and business I think you need to invest in yourself and get on a better quality training course. The internet and here can only teach you so much, this is your business, invest in it properly. Would you want to go to a tech that learned it from the internet or from one who's attended proper education and courses?????

Latest posts

Back