SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jade.246

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently been learning how to do my own acrylic nails, although I have come across a few issues. I have done them around 20 times now and still struggling to figure out where I’m going wrong so just wanting a bit of advice. I have watched a lot of videos and it seems I’m doing it right but clearly not..

So to start with I push down, cut/file off excess cuticles, I then files my nail and glue on my tips, I add dehydrator and primer and then begin with my acrylic. I put my brush in the acrylic liquid and slightly scrape on the edge of one side so it’s not to wet but not dry, I then dip it in the powder at an angle to make the bead, when I put it on my nail it seems to be ok but then doesn’t move around smoothly and neatly the way I see people do it in the videos, it just kind of goes almost like nail varnish and quite st Some nails seem to go better than others but it is very on and off with each nail.
When I try to do ombré nails it just goes all messy and does go neat or nice and smooth, I can’t really connect the 2 colours without having issues with it

I am also finding that they’re lifting within a week or so, they tend to lift from around the cuticle area

Another issue I am having is when I am applying gel polish every thing seems fine and I cure it etc. But the same day I apply the gel polish it peels off within a couple of hours, I’m not sure why this is. On this occasion I have done a glitter nail, I used the same colour nail varnish as rest of my nails but I just added glitter gel and top coat to it and these glitter nails are the only ones that haven’t peeled off at all, aswell as 1 middle nail as shown in the picture which also hasn’t peeled at all, so seems like I’ve done something

I will add a couple of pictures of a finished set of nails and also a picture of my nails after They have all peeled off, baring the 1 glitter nail and one middle nail

Thank you for taking your time to read this and give your help

Attachments

• 0BFFE39B-459C-48FC-A01A-074D1414CF99.jpeg
    0BFFE39B-459C-48FC-A01A-074D1414CF99.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 44
  • E00F3F5E-741E-4CB7-92FB-F6AB748751BF.jpeg
    E00F3F5E-741E-4CB7-92FB-F6AB748751BF.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 44
  • 78110629-29C9-4413-BE20-4224649117D1.jpeg
    78110629-29C9-4413-BE20-4224649117D1.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Welcome to Salon Geek.

Have you had any formal training please, or are you just teaching yourself as a hobby? Thanks.

Just teaching as a hobby at the moment during COVID times just to try and get the basics, but in the long run I’d like it to be a profession

Just teaching as a hobby at the moment during COVID times just to try and get the basics, but in the long run I’d like it to be a profession

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, we are not allowed to give detailed instruction or information to those who are unqualified, but would highly recommend that following lockdown, you research and invest in some formal nail professional training. By teaching yourself, you will not only pick up bad habits along the way, but will also experience problems and difficulties such as those you have mentioned above.

There are many beginners classes offered by many of the major distributors, which are specifically designed, and suitable to each individual‘s budget, so rather than risk damaging your nails by experimenting with chemicals and solutions you have little experience with or knowledge about, I would suggest you seriously consider undertaking training which is of course accredited.

Good luck with your venture.

Latest posts

Back