Acrylic nails confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannahmaria1991

Reaction score
Hi everyone I did an acrylic nail course June last year and I paid more for a one to one course as I had heater acrylics were quite hard to get the hang of so I though paying that little bit extra for a one to one would be perfect but infact it really wasn't. I still don't feel that confident doing them I sometimes when I come to buff the nail to a shine find thers a mark through the nail or little dots and I know its something to do with my bead iv picked up its either too dry or too wet but I don't feel confident in that I'm picking the ball up correctly and not sure what I'm really looking for! And also I hav about 5/6 files to use to get the whole nail filed down and to the shine and it takes forever! He told me that I shouldn't ever invest in electrical drill as really they are not good for your nails but this is the thing that takes me the longest! I'm takin up to 2.5/3 hours to do a set! I hardly do any of them because I don't feel confident at all! I no the more I do the better my confidence will become but I'm worried about getting the marks on the nails! Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong please and also if any of you suggest using drills? I really want to do more of them at the moment all I do constantly is tans and shellac
Thank you :)

have you got a nail trainer? If so it would be a good idea to invest in one! :) You can get one from Essential Nails or there are a few second hand ones on ebay in good condition - then you can practice as much as you want! Its all about practice, practice and more practice really...

It sounds like your training is lacking in some quite specific details, I would recommend some reading, Nail Class by Gigi Rouse is an excellent starting point and will immediately clear up your issues. You've identified them already you just need to know how to solve them.

Specifically the dots you're seeing are either air bubbles (incorrect ratio probably slightly too dry and overworking the product) or dried powder (incorrect ratio - working too dry). Final finishing shouldn't take so long, or so many abrasives, this is because you are applying too much product in the first place. You need to learn to sculpt with your brush not your file. It's costing you money to put product on just to file most of it off again to get the shape you want. Create the shape you want with the brush and product and refine it with an abrasive. You are nearly there.

Check out the tutorials section on here for some fab articles, advice and information. Read, read and read more then go back to your Trainer with a specific list of things you want to work on.

HTH

hope you are getting on better since you first posted this i was having exactly the same problem and my confidence was making me to the edge of giving up . but it is like they say practice makes perfect , thats all it takes so just keep at it !! and dont put yourself down i bet your last set of nails is better than what you started out with so always think of it that way and try not to worry about timing that was my problem too and im compitent in them and in a salon but it still takes me about 2 hours and my boss wants them done in 1 .. but just keep at it and you will see the difference !!

Hi everyone I did an acrylic nail course June last year and I paid more for a one to one course as I had heater acrylics were quite hard to get the hang of so I though paying that little bit extra for a one to one would be perfect but infact it really wasn't. I still don't feel that confident doing them I sometimes when I come to buff the nail to a shine find thers a mark through the nail or little dots and I know its something to do with my bead iv picked up its either too dry or too wet but I don't feel confident in that I'm picking the ball up correctly and not sure what I'm really looking for! And also I hav about 5/6 files to use to get the whole nail filed down and to the shine and it takes forever! He told me that I shouldn't ever invest in electrical drill as really they are not good for your nails but this is the thing that takes me the longest! I'm takin up to 2.5/3 hours to do a set! I hardly do any of them because I don't feel confident at all! I no the more I do the better my confidence will become but I'm worried about getting the marks on the nails! Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong please and also if any of you suggest using drills? I really want to do more of them at the moment all I do constantly is tans and shellac
Thank you :)

Hannah practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect. I'm not sure what class you did, but there are some excellent 121 opps that literally have you and a CND Education Ambassador work together. She can see what you're doing and help, guide you to better practices. Please feel free to call us if you need to on 0845 210 6060 to see how we can help you gain that confidence. Love & Respect
Samantha.

Hannah practice doesn't make perfect, PERFECT practice makes perfect. I'm not sure what class you did, but there are some excellent 121 opps that literally have you and a CND Education Ambassador work together. She can see what you're doing and help, guide you to better practices. Please feel free to call us if you need to on 0845 210 6060 to see how we can help you gain that confidence. Love & Respect
Samantha.

Hi Samantha I didn't do the acrylic course with cnd I did it with entity Im leeds... I paid more for a 1-1 but I didn't feel I got amazing training I paid just short of £500 aswel. I still don't feel overly confident and if anyone ever wants acrylics I dread going because I panic how there going to turn out they do always look nice but I always worry what if I get an air bubble or what if they look too thick or panic over the time it takes me and if the customer won't come back to me again because of the time.
I just wish I had the confidence

Im also lacking in acrylic confidence need to reply find a good one if anyone has any suggestions ??

I am the same, I have a trainer hand but I dont find it as effective as using a real person, but I have noone I can practice on!x

Yeah im kind of in same situation lol

I am also just after course, I am practising on myself but I am struggling with air and lifting under acrylic. :/

Confidence will come with experience.
It takes having done 100 sets of enhancements before you can truly feel you've seen it all and can cope with any type of nail that walks through the door.
Therefore a new nail tech in a busy salon gets there a lot quicker than someone just doing a couple of sets a week. Salon techs are also under a lot of time pressure therefore get their timings down quite quickly too.

Break things down, work out your timings and what you're struggling with.
Ideal timings are 20 mins prep, 20 mins applying/blending tips, 30 mins application and 20 mins finish filing.

Proper prep solves a lot of lifting problems, so never try to skimp on the time spent on it.
The same goes for application, get your mix ratio right and there won't be issues with air bubbles or product touching the skin at the cuticle area and sidewalls, also a leading cause of lifting. Press and smooth your product to ensure it is properly adhered to the nail plate and already has a smooth surface before you pick up your file. The better you apply your product then the easier your finish filing will be.

I also had no people to practise on whilst training therefore did 5 nails every night on my nail trainer, eventually you do need the experience of working on people though, as a nail trainer can't scream when you over file!

If you keep making the same mistakes and not learning from them then changing brands won't help. Although working with a good quality system you have been specifically trained in will achieve the best results.

Latest posts

Back