Acrylic nails dipping system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nk nails

Reaction score
Hi I'm having trouble getting my acrylic nails right. I think it may be my brush control as they are never smooth. they look nice but they always feel uneven, even when I have filed and buffed them. Then they chip and crack easily (like within a week) Its really knocked my confidence in doing acrylics and I always hope clients don't ask for acrylics and want gel or something else.
So I was thinking of trying the dipping technique. Has anyone tried this? You use resin, dip the nail into acrylic powder. Two coats of this and then finish with resin and activator. Still got to file and buff but apparently not as much.

Has anyone used this system? And Would I use my normal acrylic powder, or will it be a different type? Any advice would help.

Thank you x

Hey chick,

I don't use acrylic but have had a full set done this way. It seemed quite straight forward and required less filing/buffing than normal.

Can I ask, are you doing using one large bead of acrylic for the whole nail or are you working up with the 3 zones and smaller beads?
Also, how is your acrylic consistency? This can definitely affect your end result too!

Like I said, I don't work with acrylic but was originally trained by CND in London many moons ago!

HTH :)

If you are wanting to make a career in this industry, I strongly suggest you avoid going with the dip system.
These systems do not offer the same amount of strength as normal L&P systems do, there is no way you can structure a nail correctly by just dipping it into a bottle of powder.

I suggest that if you are having problems, you either get training if you haven't had any or return for further training to tweak your application.

I'll be totally honest and I truly do not mean to offend anybody but I see it this way, a client pays us for our skills as a trained tech, our high quality products and our time to give them a well balanced, well applied, long lasting set of enhancements, they don't pay us to give them a result that they can virtually do themselves with a drug store bought kit.
There is no way on this little green earth I would pay good money to a tech to have them dip my nails into a pot of powder a couple of times and spray my nails with resin.

Do whatever you can to refine your current skills and I promise you, you will not regret it and you will be able to make a career out of this industry.

Hey chick,

I don't use acrylic but have had a full set done this way. It seemed quite straight forward and required less filing/buffing than normal.

Can I ask, are you doing using one large bead of acrylic for the whole nail or are you working up with the 3 zones and smaller beads?
Also, how is your acrylic consistency? This can definitely affect your end result too!

Like I said, I don't work with acrylic but was originally trained by CND in London many moons ago!

HTH :)

Hi thanks for the advice. I do my acrylic in 3 zones with smaller beads. Is it easier to use on big bead?

If you are wanting to make a career in this industry, I strongly suggest you avoid going with the dip system.
These systems do not offer the same amount of strength as normal L&P systems do, there is no way you can structure a nail correctly by just dipping it into a bottle of powder.

I suggest that if you are having problems, you either get training if you haven't had any or return for further training to tweak your application.

I'll be totally honest and I truly do not mean to offend anybody but I see it this way, a client pays us for our skills as a trained tech, our high quality products and our time to give them a well balanced, well applied, long lasting set of enhancements, they don't pay us to give them a result that they can virtually do themselves with a drug store bought kit.
There is no way on this little green earth I would pay good money to a tech to have them dip my nails into a pot of powder a couple of times and spray my nails with resin.

Do whatever you can to refine your current skills and I promise you, you will not regret it and you will be able to make a career out of this industry.

Hi thanks alot for the advice. After doing some more research and really thinking about things i've decided not to go with the dipping system. I have had training on my L & P but if i keep struggling with it I will book myself on another course. I will keep practising until I get it right. Any advice on l & p? would you suggest using one big bead for the nail or do it in 3 zones?

Totally agree with Wooshka. I trained in tip & dip because I wanted to offer all system but I ditched it within a few months. Absolute rubbish imo, don't waste your money and make yourself look bad into the bargain.

I don't know what size brush you use but I remember finding things much easier when I used a bigger brush. Never done it with one big bead though, I still use 2/3 depending on nail size

yeah I'm not going to go ahead with it...

I use a brush size 8. Might try with big bead see if that's any easier for me

Applying acrylic smoothly also depends on the brush, the product you use, it's setup time and how long you take to apply it.

I don't believe you can correctly build a balanced nail if you try to do it one bead, especially if you are in the learning/early stages of being a nail tech.
There are numerous reasons why we have 3 different zones to work on and application of beads is one of them cause this is what helps to build a well structured strong nail.

As Nailzoo said, it also depends on the brush you use, products used etc etc.
Our most valuable tool is our brush, this is why I also believe that we must use good quality brushes and those techs who try and away with using cheapy brushes, are usually the ones who have a lot of problems.
If a tech is using a quick set system, a cheapo brush that holds next to no liquid, gives no resistance and tries to pick up one huge bead, then of course it's going to end up in one big hard lumpy bump.

i am shocked at all the negativity relating to the dipping system. I have been using Extreme for over 20 years and it is NOT easy and quick, it takes practice, practice, practice to apply the correct amount of liquid to the powder. It smells nice and my end product has kept me in business for the last 25 years. I highly recommend this system, but not everybody can master it.

i am shocked at all the negativity relating to the dipping system. I have been using Extreme for over 20 years and it is NOT easy and quick, it takes practice, practice, practice to apply the correct amount of liquid to the powder. It smells nice and my end product has kept me in business for the last 25 years. I highly recommend this system, but not everybody can master it.

This thread is a year old. Just incase you didn't notice x

I'm a new tech myself and having the same issue with acrylics. So started looking into the dipping system. It seems to have mixed reviews. I've even seen some that say they build the apex with the dip system....any new talk on this at all? I know this thread is old, but curious. Thanks!

I am trying out this method. And loving it so far. Not as easy as it looks! Would also love some pointers, feedback etc

Hi, i totally agree with you, its so not easy at the beginning and practice makes perfect, i have been using this system for over 25 years, its quick and smells lovely. Perfect shaped nails, every time, nooo breakages !

Latest posts

Back