Acrylic nails falling off - client with thyroid problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corn_pops

Reaction score
Hello ppl.

5 days ago I,ve done acrylic nails using tip to a client, she was talking to me that 2 nail tech had done acrylic nails on her and after 1 week all the nails fall off. When i finished doing her nails, she told me that she have thyroid problems and is using thryroid medication, well...she call me today telling me that 3 nails have already fall out completely, so I,m going back to her home to try to restore those missing nails.

I have never have this problem before with any client, the acrylic nail completely falling out from her hand :cry: :cry: what should I do? should I restore those 3 nails? should I tell her that is better to take out the rest of nails and leave it like that?.

I don,t even know what to tell her, she wants so much to have long nails and I don,t know what to recommend to her to do, or what should I do or why this had happened to me now :cry: :cry:

I have seen this 3 times with Thyroid sufferers.

I still have two clients with Thyroid issues, and they have lifting constantly. It's a battle.
Especially compared to other clients that will go 3-5wks with zero lift...

I've always figured that the health issue and/or medications cause a change to the nail plate.
Beyond that, I can't surmise. Sorry.

But know that you're not alone.

Thanks VHunter.

What should I do with this client...I mean, should I go and restore the 3 missing nails and give her hope, since she really wants to have long nails, unfortunately she told me that when her natural nails are a little long they are so weak that they break, so she though that maybe using extensions and acrylic could help. But i don,t want to offer fake hopes to her.

In this condition what would be the best I can do? remove all the acrylic nails and give her back the money she paid me? I don,t want to create a bad reputation of myself as a tech, this client came at me because a friend of her which I,ve done acrylics recommend me to her. Her friend doesn,t have thyroid problems and every time I do acrylic nails to her friend, they last 1 and 2 months with 1 or 2 fills and that,s it.

What product are you using? Me and my sister both have thyroid issues and take medication. Nails dont stay on us much either. However, CND radical seems to stay on for at least 2-3 weeks. Its the only product that works for us with thyroid medicine. You could also try gels. I havent tried the hard gel on tips yet but it may work.

When i say it stays on 2-3 weeks i mean 2-3 weeks before needing a fill.

Thanks Dboo0510.

I am using supernails liquid, powder and primer. Unfortunately, here at my country I haven,t see CND products, I have see NSI Attraction only :|
I was thinking to remove all the tips from this client hand and sculpt the acrylic nails instead but that can also fail. I don,t know what medication she is using or if she have the thyroid controlled I don,t know really.

I was thinking of recommend to her to use gel or maybe put a very thin layer of acrylic on her natural nail and some polish and leave it like that hoping this doesn,t start to peel a few days after.

But thanks for your replies, I was getting worried asking myself if maybe was something I did wrong, but now I have a clear idea of what can be the cause.

Where are you from? Can you order CND online? I know they have sample packs to try to. Not sure if you could order it. Do you use hard gels? I am gonna try hard gels later this week and see how they work. I think putting a thin layer of acrylic will do the same thing. I would try the hard gel if you can and see if it helps. I would just let her know due to the medication that it could be trial and error to find what will work.. Maybe you could make a deal with her. I know thyroid medication can cause lifting. Good luck!!

Hello Dboo0510, I am living in Chile, unfortunately in this country they are not very friendly importing products from US or Europe, most of the things around here are from China or other latin american countries. I have a beauty supply near my home where I find supernails and NSI products, although they do have Creative products, as far as I know they only sale CND tips and brisa gels from CND, but I haven,t done gels in anyone except myself....so I need training first before I can even offer it to others.

I will make aware to this client of what is going on, I will try to sculpt her nails instead of using tips, if that doesn,t work I,m going to try a very thin layer of acrylic over her natural nails, a try and see, hope some of my tries work on her at least for 2 weeks.

I have thyroid problems and take Thyroxine.
The problem I feel is not with the product but with the condition of the nails. Mine are shocking, thin, split, flaking and I wouldn't overlay with l&p as I think that would not be right for me as I like to keep an eye on the condition of my nails, as I do with my skin, hair etc. I've also stopped colouring my hair and it's lost all it's natural colour through my thyroid illness (which was serious).
The thyroid gland and it's hormones is the second most controlling to your whole body and because it's quite common it isn't always seen as serious, but it is.
I would overlay with a clear soak off gel, this works better for me.
More experienced Nail Techs may have other opinions but this is what works for me personally with my condition.

Ordinarily, I usually see "challenge" clients have trouble with any sort of gel product and they improve with Acrylic.

HOWEVER recently tried an experiment. She had already told me ahead of time about lift issues, so I didn't even look at the Gel (because of previous experience with other clients) and went straight to acrylic. That didn't work. So tried Shellac. Couldn't hurt.
Reverted to Shellac. It stayed on!
Then Brisa Lite Smoothing with Shellac. It stayed on!
Now Brisa Lite Sculpting. Not perfect, but pretty darned awesome.
BUT length is an issue. She definitely can't have them too long or lift starts. Maybe with time as she gets used to the length and bangs them less.

I'm guessing it bonds a tad differently than traditional gels.
I don't know. I'm not a chemist.

I will say that this client has had troubles with every tech she has seen until me.
Have you tried Brisa Lite?

I think you have a great idea. Let her know that you will look into other options that may stay on longer and then try the brisa or brisa lite. I heard both of those stay on.. Obviously, practice and get training ahead of time. It will be trial/error.

Latest posts

Back