Acrylic nails fell off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmaandbunni

Reaction score
hello I have just started doing acrylic nails at adult education which I finish next week.(to compliment my facial stuff)
well I have done a few full sets on friends, well the other day I done my nieces and she wanted them painted after so I did a clear and then two coats of a colour. they looked good but the next day she decided she wanted to change the colour so tried to remove the colour and the acrylic also came off.
now surely this is right if you remove the nail varnish the tips will also fall off or should they have stayed on, doubting myself now. as I thought I was doing o.k.
doing all for free and will be for quite a while as want to be doing a good job when charging people.
sorry for ramble but any advise helpful. emma

hello I have just started doing acrylic nails at adult education which I finish next week.(to compliment my facial stuff)
well I have done a few full sets on friends, well the other day I done my nieces and she wanted them painted after so I did a clear and then two coats of a colour. they looked good but the next day she decided she wanted to change the colour so tried to remove the colour and the acrylic also came off.
now surely this is right if you remove the nail varnish the tips will also fall off or should they have stayed on, doubting myself now. as I thought I was doing o.k.
doing all for free and will be for quite a while as want to be doing a good job when charging people.
sorry for ramble but any advise helpful. emma

Can you talk us through your prep & application process as this will help geeks help you.

Hi Emma

Firstly don't lose heart you have to live acrylic nails, they don't usually happen over night and your course would just be the tip of the iceberg in your road to successful nails.

This is only my personal advice but firstly decide on the brand of acrylic you are going to use. (There are many helpful tips on brands on here but some of the more successful are CND, NSI Youngs etc) you may also want to choose according to where you live and the proximity of their training centres.

Once you have chosen your brand learn about their training courses. Each brand has slightly different application techniques and mix ratios etc.

I learnt firstly by NVQ but it has taken many years for me to really improve and I've done lots of training and really enjoyed it. There is always something new to learn. Including help you get on here.

As to your acrylic coming off it could be a number of things perhaps you could talk us through your prep and application and what brand you are using xxxxxxx

I got the kit from adult education and they were nailene, they looked cheap. the files were naff so I got some from sally's which has a shop in our town so will get stock from them.
1st- she had very uneven and short nails so I cut the nails and filed to get some shape. I buffed nail with a white block.
2nd- stuck on nails and cut them, filed into shape. applied eliminator and blended. filed with a 100 /180 then a black one then the white buffer file.
3rd applied eliminator and filed/blended.
4th I applied some kind of nail primer/dehydrator to nail before applying acrylic but I seem to have a problem with the brushes as they seem to fluff up.
5th I then filed again with 100/180, then black one and white one and then buffer.
took about an hour and a half. but I don't have a nail dryer just fresh air.
maybe my stuff is just not great, there are so many brands it's just so confusing.

What kind of course are you doing, is it an online one or something? Sorry I haven't heard of the place you're training before!
Nailene is a consumer brand isn't it? I've never seen a professional range from them. Is it L&P you're using? Because that process doesn't sound that familiar to be honest!

What is the 'eliminator'? Is it some kind of liquid to blend the tips? If so I would advise against using this as it will weaken the tips affecting the overall strength of the nails.

As to the nails coming off, it could be any of a number of causes, including mix ratio, improper prep, incorrect tip sizing, product touching the skin, or even the condition of the clients nails. Pics would help if you have any :)

sorry no pictures, the eliminator is a liquid that softens the tip so that it blends easier. (melts it basically)
adult education? has national training centres for adults, most area have them they do loads of different course such as gcse, cooking ect.. only for adult where I live they have a purpose built beauty training centre, the teachers are usually from local colleges.
the course is a VTCT, validated by guild.
little bit worrying really as next week I get my certificate and can get insurance but think I have barely learnt anything.
oh! well thanks for your replies I will have to keep practicing and look for a better course I think.

All initial training is just basic, it's the beginning of the journey and we've all been there :) My advice would be, as soon as you're qualified, research the different brands and buy into the very, very best you can afford. Then do a conversion course with them. Not only will you get additional training but you'll be taught the specifics of their products and how to get the best from them. A good brand, with good education will be on hand to offer support and guidance throughout your career.

I got the kit from adult education and they were nailene, they looked cheap. the files were naff so I got some from sally's which has a shop in our town so will get stock from them.
1st- she had very uneven and short nails so I cut the nails and filed to get some shape. I buffed nail with a white block.
2nd- stuck on nails and cut them, filed into shape. applied eliminator and blended. filed with a 100 /180 then a black one then the white buffer file.
3rd applied eliminator and filed/blended.
4th I applied some kind of nail primer/dehydrator to nail before applying acrylic but I seem to have a problem with the brushes as they seem to fluff up.
5th I then filed again with 100/180, then black one and white one and then buffer.
took about an hour and a half. but I don't have a nail dryer just fresh air.
maybe my stuff is just not great, there are so many brands it's just so confusing.
To be honest, reading this, the training doesn't seem to be very thorough.

There seems to be a lot of filing, all of which is with files that are way too harsh for the natural nails :( I also can't see any cuticle removal at all which is crucial for long lasting nails, before you even start to check your acrylic application.

Before going any further, I'd advise to look for a reputable training course and as has been said, look for the very best you can afford, if you can't afford a decent one at the moment, save until you can, it honestly will be worth it in the long run .. good luck :) :hug:

Emma

I see you are from Canterbury. Liza Smith of CND is based in Sittingbourne and she and her daughter are awesome might be worth contacting Sweetsquared and ask about Lizas training courses xxxxx

Your application of L&P might be okay, I'm thinking as she took the nail polish off, probably with nail polish remover with acetone in it, that has caused the nails to come away. It would certainly soften then up anyways.

If someone has L&P on their nails and have them painted or Shellac on top, you remove the colour by filing it off and it's not to be done by the client, only the nail professional.

Your application of L&P might be okay, I'm thinking as she took the nail polish off, probably with nail polish remover with acetone in it, that has caused the nails to come away. It would certainly soften then up anyways.

If someone has L&P on their nails and have them painted or Shellac on top, you remove the colour by filing it off and it's not to be done by the client, only the nail professional.

A quick swipe with polish remover wouldn't also remove L&P though, if it did that would make salon removals easy lol

If application was okay, removal of nail polish, unless soaked wouldn't make the acrylics 'fall off', soften a little, yes but not remove them... if only!! :lol:

You are using a retail product. Not a professional product. It sounds like the instructor just took the instructions out if the nail kit and read them out. Then you will be qualified and insured? I just don't get this

I'm sure all the professionals who have invested hundreds and thousands in top quality professional training are shaking their heads in annoyance.

Of course I'm not blaming the original poster.. not her fault but the college and trainer. What is the name of your college.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If your neice used acetone instead of nail polish remover, it might have cause the acrylic to weaken and even the glue to deteriorate. There's no way of knowing how long she had her nails in contact with the acetone for. She might have even used on of these pots with the product and a sponge inside. Do worry, just make sure you instruct your clients not to use acetone whenever they're wearing tips, acrylic or even gel. Nail polish remover is better for these. Hth ;-)

Sent from my LG-P769 using SalonGeek mobile app

thanks for all the advance, going to look at doing conversion course after xmas as in no rush and lack of money.

thanks for all the advance, going to look at doing conversion course after xmas as in no rush and lack of money.

Good luck and don't give up. Nails are wonderful they just take time to conquer.

Xxxx

Latest posts

Back