Acrylic nails for 9 year olds...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1999judy

Reaction score
A friend brought her daughter to see me and the little girl begged me would I put her a set of acrylic nails on.
9 years old.
I told her no and explained fully to her why...her next question then was "ok can I have gels instead?":eek:
I again explained that gel was just the same as acrylic.
I told her about the stick on nails with sticky pads for little girls and diamantes that you can buy in Claires etc.
She told me they were rubbish and had already had some stick on nails but they fell off. I also explained to her about how the stick on nails can damage your nails and promised her if she grew her own if she was going somewhere special I would paint and do nail art and diamantes and ANYTHING she liked and her toes to match.
I've got to say she was the most annoyed, disappointed customer I've ever met:lol:
What worries me is, who does she know who has acrylic nails at her age? because I think NSS are doing them for kids now.
If this is happening and I find evidence in my town of it all hell is gonna break loose.
I'm just in the mood for a good old barny with some nail tech trashing kids nails:mad:

I have to agree I would have said no as well that is way to young. I wonder if you are right about the nss, I have a few where I live and if I find out they are doing them then I will be like you. Hell have no fury than a nail tech scorned.

I think what worried me more was the fact that she knew a lot about different types of enhancements!!
Most clients wouldn't have asked that question!
When I was 9 I was stil making dens and climbing trees with boys....mind you look where that got me:lol::lol::lol:

Same here, what did her mum say about it. The only reason my children know about it is because of me. It would worry me as well, a nine year old knowing that much.

Same here, what did her mum say about it. The only reason my children know about it is because of me. It would worry me as well, a nine year old knowing that much.

Her mum knew nothing about the damage that could be caused and was quite shocked when I explained it all to her. I mean...school...PE etc. No WAY!
Her mum just wanted her to have everything that her mates have, as mothers do at times. But we really have to got to draw a line under this and make sure it's not happening all over the place.
I just found it all quite worrying. Girls grow up so quickly these days and I hate to see little girls looking like adults.
PRETENDING for a game is one thing. It becoming part of life is quite another.

There are a few girls at the top end of my little boys school, aged 9-11, they have enhancements on in the holidays, but they go to Swansea to have them (a big town!! lol) and they have them done in an NSS place, I had to soak off a set a few years ago, I had no training, but I knew enough about nails to help, poor kid her nails were wrecked!

as you say though Judy, theyve got all the lingo at 9.......'gels, acrylics etc', things are just getting worse and kids are growing up much too fast! Made to grow up I think!

I'm just under the impression now that if you take your dog to the NSS they will put on a full set.
Hmmm not sure if dogs would pay that bit extra to make them shine like the stars though.......:)

OMG 9 years old! My daughter is almost 11 and I won't do enhancements on her due to her activities, she does horse riding and is also a bit of a tomboy at times, but most of all I think she is just a kid and there is no way that she should be wearing enhancements, although she would love to have them.

However she did talk me into doing gel toes for her, she loved them. :)

Thats shocking!! Ive been asked to do a 14 year olds, and im a bit worried about it. But 9...she's still a kid!! I think 16 is young enough.
xxx

There is a girl in my godsons class at school who has l&p sculptured nails on, apparently she has been having them done since christmas, the teachers in school have told her mother she is either to get the salon to remove them or let them grow out but NOT to have them done again, her age is 5yrs old :-0 we have only 1 nss in my area the rest are proper salons or qualified techs working in a hairdressers, now the nss near me has only been open 3 months tops so i know its not them, but further into town there are a few, i've asked my godson's mum to find out where the girl went and i'm going to report them for this.

Well its a good thing to be educated but I think if they are educated enough to know the difference between L&P and gels then they should also know about bacterial infections, complete with photos.
What worries me more is that mums are willing to let them have them.
9 years old Kay had make up and stick on nails and nail polish and she and her friends used to have a great time putting it all on, and of it all came correctly, which was also part of the fun, before tea.
Pedo's always say that their victims wanted it and that little kids are not as innocent as we think they are, I'm just frightened that this sort of thing is just making our children more attractive to these sicko's

I have put enhancements on my 9 year old..and my 11 year old...
I gave in to moaning,
And I enjoyed doing them....however !!!
They did not enjoy having them applied after about half an hour the boredom kicked in :lol:
Both my girls have come to the decision WITH ME...not to have them again untill they are older...
I WOULD NOT put enhancements on any other child though,
The youngest I have been asked to do is 11... the mum was put out but not my problem,
I did worry for a while, she may go to a nss and have them done, resulting in the child having possible damaged nails for life...but it was a decision I made to say no...and I stick by it.

I do think doing my own children is totally different to doing anybody elses...
I do not think it would enter my head to allow my children to wear enhancements if I were not a nail technician myself.
I didnt do my girls nails for any beauty reasons just mum and daughter playing....just as I used to sit in awe and watch my mum put her make up on before a big night out and then ask her to do mine...

Although I wouldn't like to think that my girls were making other kids want them iykwim, which had never really crossed my mind.

I think the other difference is , I can inform my kids on the dangers and keep an informed eye on the nails etc...where as "joe public" mum probably wont be able to.

omg 5yrs old my eldest daughter is 4yrs old i would never dream of letting her have them. is the mother mad.

I think you may find that LA and insurance companies require written concent from a parent or guardian to apply artificial nails to anyone under 16. Without this it could be considered as an 'assault'!

(Artificial nails fall under 'special treatments' licenses like massages and some invasive treatments. These all require the above)

I think you may find that LA and insurance companies require written concent from a parent or guardian to apply artificial nails to anyone under 16. Without this it could be considered as an 'assault'!

(Artificial nails fall under 'special treatments' licenses like massages and some invasive treatments. These all require the above)
yeah ear piercing does as well. but how do you know that the adult with them is their mum. that is what worries me.

my friend's daughter was a severe nail biter. My friend asked me could i help.

i tried many things, but the only thing that broke the habit was a tiny overlay of l&p (acrylic). it was only about 3 mms in length, no where near the end of her finger. It worked, habit broke after a few months.

9 years old? No way. My daughter is soon 2 1/2 and loves to watch me do nails or nail art, not to mention she loves to have her nails polished. But I'm not going to give any her nail enhancements before she's atleast 15-16. The youngest I've given nail enhancements is 17.

There is a girl in my godsons class at school who has l&p sculptured nails on, apparently she has been having them done since christmas, the teachers in school have told her mother she is either to get the salon to remove them or let them grow out but NOT to have them done again, her age is 5yrs old :-0 we have only 1 nss in my area the rest are proper salons or qualified techs working in a hairdressers, now the nss near me has only been open 3 months tops so i know its not them, but further into town there are a few, i've asked my godson's mum to find out where the girl went and i'm going to report them for this.

FIVE!!!:eek: What's wrong with the mother? She's a child, not a bloody doll.

FIVE!!!:eek: What's wrong with the mother? She's a child, not a bloody doll.

Iv been trying to stay quite on this one and watching the thread, but I have to agree with the above, I don't want to sound judgemental, but dear god....

oh my god the mind boggles, i'm quite a librel person but that is OTT, my neice is in the last year of primary and begs for crushed shells as i have worn then ! i have point blank refused. I think little girls should be little girls for as long as they possibly can x:irked:

Latest posts

Back