Acrylic nails lifting? Any ideas/advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjmadmum

Reaction score
Converted to CND acrylics 6 weeks ago and am soo pleased with how my clients nails now look. However I have a problem with one client who's nails lift and fall off within 3 days! Bought nail fresh and nail prime and did a third set on Monday, she has just called to say one has fallen off and the rest are lifting! Any ideas as I am now doing these free of charge and I can't keep doing that! She assures me she is very careful with her nails. Any ideas or advice would really be appreciated as I am losing the plot here now! Lol. X

Do you use scrub fresh at all? X

It could be any number of things....I have been using CND for at least 13yrs. I used the solar then moved my way into retention and now use the Moxie...make sure you do not touch the cuticle area and make sure your nail plate is clear of all excess cuticle and really cleanse that nail plate. especially in the fold of the eponychium....be gentle but thorough! After cleansing your nail plate should be chalky in color...with retention and moxie there is no need for a primer...using primer could be to dehydrating and thus creating a problem... your liquid to powder ratio could be off.... you could be playing with the product too much Call the CND hot line...in the states it is 1 800 833-nail ...on the bottom of your package of powder or liquid there should be the phone number listed...give them a call... they are most helpful! good luck:cool: remember your prep is the most important part...also know that moxie sets up faster than retention and way faster than solar.

Hi can you list your prep and application steps so we can see if there's anything you need to change? Most lifting is down to prep problems, but you say you only have a problem with this lady? If that's the case then perhaps she's lying to you about how carefully she looks after her nails (if you're repairing them for free she's got incentive to lie to you). Is she on any medication? That could be another reason. Sit with her and get a detailed picture of her lifestyle to see if there's anything there. I had a client like this once whose nails lifted all the time and it baffled me, then she mentioned one day that for her job she has to use a lot of that hand sanitising gel and she hates it because it really dries her skin out, it was a eureka moment because if it was drying her skin out it was drying her nails out, hence the lifting!! People who ride horses are prone to lifting because of horsey products that contain something that makes nails lift, and some brands of latex gloves have a product that lines them that can make nails lift. Ask her plenty of questions, and you might find the answer to your problem.

Regarding prep, make sure you do an ultra good job. I use CND (not retention, the other one, but I'm having a brain freeze and the name has escaped me for a moment!!) Primer use is optional but I still use it with every single client, it doesnt cost much and a bottle lasts forever so its worth it for that extra peace of mind. My cuticle work is very thorough too, I make sure I get every last bit of cuticle, and I scrubfresh each nail after prepping and before tipping (scrubfreshing to me means scrubbing each nail for about 5 seconds). After I've tipped and shaped the tips I scrubfresh again and each nail should squeak when you do this, and this indicates that the nail is free of cuticle and oils. Then I apply primer and apply the product.

I hope some of this helps :)

Oooh thank you ladies for your replies. Ok so am going to try and answer everything.

Ginalhaytonxx - yes I use scrubfresh

Nailgoddess629 -

I use retention+ , I probably sound thick here as am still a newbie to CND but what is Moxie? I really do try and do a thorough job when prepping, however maybe not enough as the nails don't appear to be chalky in colour, so thanks that's one thing I will try next time. I will give CND a call and double check I am doing things properly, so thank you so much

'Chelle

1. sanitise mine and clients hands 2. apply cuticle away, leave on for 1 min then remove cuticle 3. clean nails with soap and water (I used a small spray bottle as recommended by Fingernailfixer) 4. remove surface shine 5. scrubfresh 6. apply tips and blend (still getting used to blending lol!) 7. scrubfresh 8. apply l & p 10. file 11. use solar oil and buff 12. remove excess oil and buff to shine 13. apply more solar oil.

She is the only person I have had a problem with, I do a thorough consultation. I asked lots more questions on her second visit to see if there was anything she failed to tell me or that I forgot to ask. It was after the 2nd visit that I spoke to my CND trainer who advised it could be she is using lots of hand cream, and also advised me to buy nailfresh and nail prime. I then went into the shop where the lady worked and asked more questions where it came out that she uses hand sanitising gel and then hand cream constantly all day. So I told her to stop using anything until her next appointment a week later. I too thought I had sussed it with the hand gel and cream but this didn't seem to work. You may be right though she may be lying to me, I only have her word.

I will now listen out for the squeek sound, when prepping, as well as the chalky colour, and maybe I will always use nail prime. Do you know if I need to use both nail prime and nail fresh as this is what my trainer advised?

Thank you ladies for all your thoughts, I haven't heard back from the lady since yesterday so am half hoping I don't hear as I know she will want me to do another set for free! But then I am half hoping she does call so I could try and get to the bottom of this. I really can't afford to keep doing it though especially as I have lots of happy customers. xx

You sound like you're doing everything great!! I generally always use a nail primer. I know some systems you don't have to and some people prefer not to, but with very meticulous prep and the use of a primer I haven't really had any lifting with my clients at all. She sounds like she is obviously more prone to lifting so a primer would probably be a really good idea! Good luck! X.

You sound like you're doing everything great!! I generally always use a nail primer. I know some systems you don't have to and some people prefer not to, but with very meticulous prep and the use of a primer I haven't really had any lifting with my clients at all. She sounds like she is obviously more prone to lifting so a primer would probably be a really good idea! Good luck! X.

Aww thanks hun. Have tried the nail prime and nail fresh on my client and still no joy! :eek:. She hasn't had acrylics before so we don't even know if its a recurring problem. She does have a very small nail bed, butthat hasn't caused me trouble before.

Knowing me this will continue to bug me until I find a solution. Will be on the phone to S2 on Monday and hopefully they can help me.

xx

I use CND (not retention, the other one, but I'm having a brain freeze and the name has escaped me for a moment!!

Radical!!

Latest posts

Back