Acrylic Nails on a 10 year old girl

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NQ Nail Girl

Reaction score
Hi all

As some of you know I have recently completed my inital training as a nail tech and to get more practice I have posted up posters around town explaining my situation and what I use and that I charge 25 dollars.

Well this afternoon I got a call from a lady that wants acrylic nails put on her 9 turning 10 year old daughter. I felt apprehensive about this and ended up telling her that I couldnt do them as I felt they would cause too much damage on her nail bed.

Now I am wondering if I have done the right thing. As I have a 8 year old that I wouldnt dream of putting acrylics on. Have I done the right thing.

Hi in my opinion you are very right not too, but you will find on here that there are varying thoughts on this. look at the link 'am I a bad mother' but go with your own instincts on this one.

NQ Nail Girl said:
I felt apprehensive about this and ended up telling her that I couldnt do them as I felt they would cause too much damage on her nail bed.

THEY wouldn't cause any damage to the nail PLATE .... you might!!

Enhancements do not damage nail plates, bad technicians do.

If there is a valid reason for not doing enhancements on a ten year old, it is that the enhancements would probably not adhere well to the plates of a child of that age. The up keep and expense woud be silly for a child of that age. The school would most likely not approve etc. These are valid reaons for not doing the treatment.

What mesage are you giving out by saying that the enhancements would damage the nail plate??? YOu might as well tell every client you have that what you are going to do will damage their nails!
I repeat: Enhancements do not damage nail plates, bad technicians do.

Sorry I didnt realise that, its just that at the school that I was taught at we were told to inform the clients that there will be damage to their nails as a result of having acrylics put on.

I think you were right to say no...I have had lots of clients who have asked me to put nails on 9/10 yr olds and I say NO!!

It is like putting make-up on a child...children are beautiful enough without the need for make-up or other enhancements.

I tell them my policy is that I do not put nails on anyone under the age of 17 and even at 17 I require their parents consent. When they reach 18 they can do what they like.
This is just my personal preference.

geeg said:
THEY wouldn't cause any damage to the nail PLATE .... you might!!

Enhancements do not damage nail plates, bad technicians do.

If there is a valid reason for not doing enhancements on a ten year old, it is that the enhancements would probably not adhere well to the plates of a child of that age. The up keep and expense woud be silly for a child of that age. The school would most likely not approve etc. These are valid reaons for not doing the treatment.

What mesage are you giving out by saying that the enhancements would damage the nail plate??? YOu might as well tell every client you have that what you are going to do will damage their nails!
I repeat: Enhancements do not damage nail plates, bad technicians do.

Another thing I would like to add is that I have just finnished my course. I dont have as much experience as 99% of the people in here thats why I asked.

I too agree that probably under the age of 14/15 is too young for enhancements and I wouldn't have allowed my own daughter to have them at such a young age. However, I have often wondered what the harm would be, as just mentioned, it's only the technician who may damage the nail plate. If the parent is prepared to pay for regular maintenance and the child keeps them at a shortish length what would be the best reason to give not to do them?

I've had the daughters of clients ask if they can have theirs done and I always explain the earliest I've do them is for yr 10 formals(about16yrs old) because before that they are still doing alot of hands on stuff at school, sport etc and the chance of them damaging themselves is greater not to mention the whole picking thing(had one girl I did under special circumstances and the next time I saw her she told me they felt funny and she just pulled them off!!!!).

Hiya...x

I would have a problem with putting a full set of tips on a child....simply because i have a 9 year old daughter and i wouldn't want to see her with grown up nails...or grown up anything....however....i don't see anything wrong with a thin layer of clear gel over the natural nail. My daughter is allowed this as it has helped to protect them from bashings in the playground etc...she has no length on them at all.
I just wish children would stay children for longer...they are so keen to grow up so fast these days its hearbreaking.
I think this little girl would be just as happy with a posh manicure and something pretty painted on them...even a french painted on her short nails will make them look longer....xxx

NQ Nail Girl said:
Sorry I didnt realise that, its just that at the school that I was taught at we were told to inform the clients that there will be damage to their nails as a result of having acrylics put on.

What sort of school tells there pupils this, omg, Im disgusted. Such false information. No offence to you at all.

As Gigi said enhancements dont damage the natural nail only bad technicians do,

We as technicians struggle enough to re educate our clients into the myths of nail enhancements, what with the locall nss down the road and the joe public kits available in superdrug to hear that a school is dishing out this sort of information its wrong.

Hi.I've been asked before to do a nine year olds nail enhancements and have refused.Just as someone else said in there post,little girls are pretty enough without adding any type of enhancements.It also adds the question where do you stop?what next..A pierced belly,hightlights,a tattoo?I think nail enhancements make you look and feel like a lady and in todays world unfortunately it only takes the slightest thing to excite a pervert.Although some people make think this is a extreme view i'm thinking of that little beauty/pagent queen murdered in the states in the 90s.I also think a young child would not be able to care for their nails at school in the playground or whilst doing p.e/gym at school.The other side i have heard to this argument is A)money is money B)well they will take their child to nss down the road anyway.What a lame argument.Personally i don't think my insurance company or the ant(any one know thier thoughts on this subject?)would be too impressed.To me its not about money.I actually care about my clients.Also to the person who started the thread...very good question and every tech has a different opinion on this subject,its really down to personally preferrence.So don't be sorry for asking this question,how is anyone surpossed to know.Its politics.You were caught on the hop hence saying it would damage the nail plate.Don't worry love.Honestly...some people on here can be so abrupt!!We are all on this site to learn,make friends,build confidence and support each other.I personally think you did the right thing.x

louisenewell said:
Honestly...some people on here can be so abrupt!!We are all on this site to learn,make friends,build confidence and support each other.I personally think you did the right thing.x

Hi Louise,

I am not being picky or anything but I don't agree with the first part of this reply, I think the point everybody is trying to make is that it's not the students fault what they've been taught BUT when posts like that come up about acrylics damaging nails, it starts to get to people after a while especially when you have to repeat yourself and repeat what every article and tutorial already confirms! I think your response was not necessary, we are all professionals here. Yes we are all here to support each other etc etc. BUT we are also here to correct each other, otherwise this site wouldn't be!

NQ Nail Girl said:
Another thing I would like to add is that I have just finnished my course. I dont have as much experience as 99% of the people in here thats why I asked.

Hi NG Nail Girl,

We are all here to learn hun, don't be afraid to ask any questions, I would recommend you do a few searches on the site first. There is loads of reading on articles and tutorial that will teach you so much, you practically have the world of nails at your finger tips and at your beck and call!! It's fantastic and you came to the right place!

All the best :hug:
xxxx

A friends 12 year old daughter has asked me about nail extensions (she's a serious cannibal).

I explained that you don't just get them done and leave it at that, they required regular maintenance etc. and the ongoing cost involved. They didn't realise this.
However, my friend (the mum) is getting married later this year, so I suggested maybe the daughter have nail extensions on just for the wedding, and get them removed afterwards (also said this would cost but explained why it's essential).

In this circumstance, I would be happy to do these nails (but WILL NOT agree to inch long talons!!).

IN RESPONSE TO THE POST BY ROSE123....WHEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT ABRUPT PEOPLE YOU ARE A PERFECT EXAMPLE!PROBLEM?NEXT TIME PM ME!YEAH?OMG!!:evil: OBIVOUSLY DIDN'T READ ALL THE POSTS TO THIS THREAD!FANCY POSTING A PROBLEM WITH ME LIKE THIS FOR EVERY ONE TO READ...STILL IF THIS SITE IS ALL ABOUT BITCHING THEN I'M IN THE RIGHT PLACE...IF I CAN'T BEAT THEM...I'LL JOIN THEM!PLEASE!!!

Hi Nail Girl,
I defo think you did the right thing by not doing the kid's nails and yeah, maybe the experienced geeks can guarantee that they will not cause any damage, but an inexperienced tech can't (although u shouldn't admit that to anyone). Reading this thread, I can see where they are coming from with their comments about not telling people that extensions cause damage, when really they don't. However, as a newbie to it, you shouldn't be given too much of a hard time! I'm sure that the geeks did not mean to come across too hard but it can seem that way cos peeps read messages in their own way. I too am still quite new to all this and you come on this site for freindly advice - we were all new once! We all make mistakes too! The important thing I s'pose is too learn from them so hey all you guys.. don't slam us newbies - we are all trying to learn from you!
NQ Nail Girl said:
Hi all

As some of you know I have recently completed my inital training as a nail tech and to get more practice I have posted up posters around town explaining my situation and what I use and that I charge 25 dollars.

Well this afternoon I got a call from a lady that wants acrylic nails put on her 9 turning 10 year old daughter. I felt apprehensive about this and ended up telling her that I couldnt do them as I felt they would cause too much damage on her nail bed.

Now I am wondering if I have done the right thing. As I have a 8 year old that I wouldnt dream of putting acrylics on. Have I done the right thing.

I get asked all the time to put enhancements on to childrens' nails. My rule is that if they are over 16 then this is cool, if they're 14-16 I ask for parental consent. Some parents get stroppy when I say no! It is a shame because I know that they head straight down to the NSS down the road and get they're nails butchered by a bad tech.

I get a lot of parents asking for children but my rule is 16+ only. I used to do 14 & 15 year olds too but found that under-16s don't look after their enhancements and tend to pick them off. Stopped doing under-16s when mother of 15 year old came in to complain that her daughter's nails had all 'fallen off' at school after the weekend that she had the enhancements done for. Needless to say, the nails had been fine but she had picked them all off at school. I put my foot down then and said no more! Saying that, I did the nails of my neighbour's 15 year old daughter (bad nail biter) who, of course, picked them off after 1 day! I personally wouldn't enhance the nails of a child that young but I guess it is down to the tech & the parents. I always suggest a french polish instead if I get asked now.

louisenewell said:
IN RESPONSE TO THE POST BY ROSE123....WHEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT ABRUPT PEOPLE YOU ARE A PERFECT EXAMPLE!PROBLEM?NEXT TIME PM ME!YEAH?OMG!!:evil: OBIVOUSLY DIDN'T READ ALL THE POSTS TO THIS THREAD!FANCY POSTING A PROBLEM WITH ME LIKE THIS FOR EVERY ONE TO READ...STILL IF THIS SITE IS ALL ABOUT BITCHING THEN I'M IN THE RIGHT PLACE...IF I CAN'T BEAT THEM...I'LL JOIN THEM!PLEASE!!!

Okay, firstly all I was doing was sticking up for other peoples opinions and good advice, as everyone is entitled to have one but I did not mean to offend you Louise all I meant was, I found that you were generalising and to be honest I did read every post which is why I found your reply unecessary, such as the above!!!!

Secondly, DO NOT even think of saying this site is all about bitching, what do you know? You haven't been around long enough to see how we support and love each other, how much help we give each other and how much fun we have together!!! The reason why you've posted the above reply for all and sundry to see is to try and humiliate me for me giving an opinion, and I am not the type to get humiliated or to be offended by such behaviour and I am not the type to humiliate people either.

So I am gonna call this little dabate quits, and agree to disagree with you and tell you that I do care for you, very much coz you are a fellow geek, and also I am sorry if I offended you in any way.

Hope we're okay :)

xxxx

I am currently doing a nail tech course and was also taught that they weaken your natural nails as your nail plate gets used to not absorbing shock when you knock your finger etc. I agree with you considering a child a 10 years of age is still developing.

Latest posts

Back