Acrylic nails on a 10 year old!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhanced-Barbie

Reaction score
Ok, so I was on another non-nail forum, and there was someone asking about her daughter who bites her nails, she is 10years old and so far she is leaning towards the suggestion of getting a set of acrylic nails on her!

I have told her how much of a bad idea it is, and given her some info on why she shouldnt do it, but I'm sure you guys can explain it better than I can!

So...

What would you say to someone considering getting acrylic nails on their 10 year old daughter?

I would tell her that it isn't a gaurantee that her daughter will stop doing it. I've seen people who've tried that and still bite on the acrylic.

It takes approximately 3 weeks to stop a bad habit, so maybe suggesting a weekly manicure would help instead of acrylics.

My boss asked me to do a set of acrylics on her daughter who is also 10. I said no (for 2 reasons - it was late saturday afternoon and i was tired and needed to go home....and secondly, a 10 year old has no nail bed!!!!!) Where are u meant to place the acrylic??? I think it's a bad idea. My boss is trained in nails too so I think if her daughter so desperately wants them, then the boss can do them. I don't wanna be held responsible. Is that reasonable???? Or should I just suck it up and do them????:rolleyes:

I originally had a difficult time with my enhancements, I'm a nail biter. I still have a problem if I notice say, a little notch has chipped out of the side. Once I know it's there, I suddenly find my finger in my mouth!

A 10 year old would have a much harder time I think. She might not stop biting, and she's not old enough to understand how to treat her nails, eg opening ring pulls with them, and might well hurt herself.

My own experience as a biter knows it takes more than 3wks to end the habit.
My own experience as a tech who reforms biters knows it takes more than 3wks.

A 10yr old is not mature enough to understand that she has to be careful with them, and not pick them and whack her hands about.
A child that young will not understand the responsibility of the upkeep and being careful with them.
She is going to want to play and goof around, and that will cause lift and breakage which can often hurt.

Nail enhancements are a luxury that require commitment AND MONEY.

Also, nail biting is very unconcious; unlike smoking and other bad habits that require a concious effort such as lighting the cigarette.
Biting a nail is as unconcious as scratching an itch, and she will likely put her hands in her mouth all the same.. and be more inclined than an adult to pick at them; which will result in damage to the plate and discomfort.

Tell her to use Sally Hansens's stop biting solution and paint it on her nails several times daily.
Tell her to offer a reward system for number of days that her daughter has successfuly not bitten her nails. Say, for every 5 days, she gets this, at 10 days straight she gets that, at 15 it's something else and so on. Maybe at the 3mth mark, a biggee.

She will need constant support, not criticism and a tangeable goal to work towards.

At the tender age of 10, it is irresponsible to put enhancements on her as she'll likely hurt herself.

hth's

Absolutly, NO WAY

like what has been said......risk to the child (and guess whod get sued)

also, what ever happened to those paint on horrible tasting polishes which tasted horrible if you put them in your mouth.

I would also worry why the child felt the need to bite her nails to that degree.....is she worried about something!!

NO NO NO NO NO

No

No newer let her doing nails... this is bad for nails groing... I am polish and in Poland is egainst the law. They have to be 16+..... You are not allowd...

I agree with everything that Victoria said - except the part about nails being a luxury. Nails are no more a luxury than having your haircut ... in my opinion of course!!!!

I DID do nails on a 10 year old many years ago and I said NEVER again. I was employed in a nail bar at the time so had no choice. They were all off in 2 weeks and the grief I got off her mother was unreal. The lifestyle of a 10 year old is just not suited to them at all. And yes they do have nail beds, and nail plates, just very small ones.

Also I just find it an extravagence and rather frivolous to pay that sort of money on a 10 year old, but again that's just my personal opinion and not one I would express to the client.

One of my clients asked me to do a set on her 12 yr old daughter, I declined and told her my reasons, mainly about the damage she'll no doubt cause to her natural nails by being reckless with them and not caring about her nails as she should. My client accepted my reasoning and is fine about it.

My 15 yr old daughter struggles to keep her enhancements on and that's with having me here looking over her shoulder and constantly reminding her to use her Solar Oil.
IMO they're just not ready (especially with school sports etc), and even more so at 10 yrs old!

I agree with everything that Victoria said - except the part about nails being a luxury. Nails are no more a luxury than having your haircut ... in my opinion of course!!!!

For me, they are a necessity... my nails that is.:green: I can't live without them:lol:
But in truth, I do my own colour because I can't afford the salon (mind you, I used to be a hairdresser... ) and I only visit to get my hair cut only ever 3mths or so, no blowdry/set. Too expensive.
So, if I wasn't a nail tech, nails would be a luxury because they would cost more than my hair and I couldn't upkeep them every 2wks.

Heck, that's how I wound up a tech. I couldn't afford the tech I had, so took a course.:lol:

I've also had a few clients come in for a while and dissappear for another while, then come back again because of their budgets. Nails were the first to go, before groceries and rent.... hence my term 'luxury'.
Every year, in late jan or february, I have a client or two that puts off an appointment because their credit card bills have come in with their xmas expenses. When someone loses their job, they often give up their nails and come back when they are employed again.
(unless you were yanking my chain, Sassy, then nevermind all that LOL)

But back to the topic at hand:
If a nail tech has a battle with her own daughter helping her to maintain them, can you imagine the troubles with an average consumer?:eek:

My own experience as a biter knows it takes more than 3wks to end the habit.
My own experience as a tech who reforms biters knows it takes more than 3wks.

A 10yr old is not mature enough to understand that she has to be careful with them, and not pick them and whack her hands about.
A child that young will not understand the responsibility of the upkeep and being careful with them.
She is going to want to play and goof around, and that will cause lift and breakage which can often hurt.

Nail enhancements are a luxury that require commitment AND MONEY.

Also, nail biting is very unconcious; unlike smoking and other bad habits that require a concious effort such as lighting the cigarette.
Biting a nail is as unconcious as scratching an itch, and she will likely put her hands in her mouth all the same.. and be more inclined than an adult to pick at them; which will result in damage to the plate and discomfort.

Tell her to use Sally Hansens's stop biting solution and paint it on her nails several times daily.
Tell her to offer a reward system for number of days that her daughter has successfuly not bitten her nails. Say, for every 5 days, she gets this, at 10 days straight she gets that, at 15 it's something else and so on. Maybe at the 3mth mark, a biggee.

She will need constant support, not criticism and a tangeable goal to work towards.

At the tender age of 10, it is irresponsible to put enhancements on her as she'll likely hurt herself.

hth's

EXCELLENT advice! :hug:

I am a nailbiter :o and have been ever since I was little girl (I'm 52 now). When I have acrylic or gel on, I bite at the free edge under the acrylic. It's awful I know and I DO know better but it is an unconscious thing.

Latest posts

Back