Acrylic nails on a man?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's an old thread but I feel the need to reply so I registered :cool:

I am a 37 year old married, straight man, and I have a fascination with all things nails. It is the only thing I keep from my wife (she is not the type to get nails or toes done but she is a wonderful woman and no matter how much I love nails I love her more).

When I was 17, I went out with a girl for awhile, this was in the early 90s and acrylic nails were the "in" thing at the time, and she always had long red acrylic nails. Anyway, uh, how do I put it politely, I shared my first sex act with her in my car. Given my fascination now with hands and nails you can guess what it was. Anyway from that moment on I was fascinated with nails.

The next year I met my wife, and since then, other than her occasional deciding to polish her nails, it never happens. So I turn elsewhere, when I am traveling on business...

... I get pedicures.

I love pedicures! It's the first thing I do when I get to a city. I get a pedicure! With color too. I get to talk nails with the techs, I get funny looks from other customers, I love it! But in my heart, I really want to get the acrylic nails. I have never done a full set (although once or twice I let them do my pinkie). If they weren't so damn hard to remove, I would do it.

I follow the nail polish blogs and nail art blogs too, just WISHING it would be appropriate to get my nails done.

So I got by with the occasional set of drugstore nails.

If you want to ask, I'll answer, part of it is sexual, but part is, dammit, I just want to do it! I mean, why do you ladies do it? You just want to!

There are many like me out there. But the difference between me and them is I don't complain. I don't have a problem with social norms and such, because it's natural - somebody does something that people like them don't normally do and they get funny looks, people talk about them, etc. And that's why I'm not wearing a set of pink and whites right now. We all have our crosses to bear and I'm doing my best at trying to handle mine.

Seriously, ladies, if any of you come up with a method of making beautiful nails that feel permanent like acrylic but can come off easily (I don't mind soaking in acetone), I would love to visit you just for the experience.

If any of you have any questions of this nail loving man, I'll answer honestly.

Who cares about social norms! If you want your nails done, do it! Guys wear polish now! Why not have your nails done with natural colored acrylic or soft white for the free edge? They will look nice, clean and natural. Any good nail tech can custom color their l&p system to meet your needs. It's all about being happy with yourself, do what makes you happy! If you walked into my salon, my #1 priority is making you happy with your service. Find a reputable salon, not a NSS, they can work with you to provide what you want.

I know it's an old thread but I feel the need to reply so I registered :cool:

I am a 37 year old married, straight man, and I have a fascination with all things nails. It is the only thing I keep from my wife (she is not the type to get nails or toes done but she is a wonderful woman and no matter how much I love nails I love her more).

When I was 17, I went out with a girl for awhile, this was in the early 90s and acrylic nails were the "in" thing at the time, and she always had long red acrylic nails. Anyway, uh, how do I put it politely, I shared my first sex act with her in my car. Given my fascination now with hands and nails you can guess what it was. Anyway from that moment on I was fascinated with nails.

The next year I met my wife, and since then, other than her occasional deciding to polish her nails, it never happens. So I turn elsewhere, when I am traveling on business...

... I get pedicures.

I love pedicures! It's the first thing I do when I get to a city. I get a pedicure! With color too. I get to talk nails with the techs, I get funny looks from other customers, I love it! But in my heart, I really want to get the acrylic nails. I have never done a full set (although once or twice I let them do my pinkie). If they weren't so damn hard to remove, I would do it.

I follow the nail polish blogs and nail art blogs too, just WISHING it would be appropriate to get my nails done.

So I got by with the occasional set of drugstore nails.

If you want to ask, I'll answer, part of it is sexual, but part is, dammit, I just want to do it! I mean, why do you ladies do it? You just want to!

There are many like me out there. But the difference between me and them is I don't complain. I don't have a problem with social norms and such, because it's natural - somebody does something that people like them don't normally do and they get funny looks, people talk about them, etc. And that's why I'm not wearing a set of pink and whites right now. We all have our crosses to bear and I'm doing my best at trying to handle mine.

Seriously, ladies, if any of you come up with a method of making beautiful nails that feel permanent like acrylic but can come off easily (I don't mind soaking in acetone), I would love to visit you just for the experience.

If any of you have any questions of this nail loving man, I'll answer honestly.

Find a tech that does Popits..... and don't prep the nails, then you can create the look you want, then pop them off and use them again, just like in this video ..... Acrylic Nail / Dual System Form / Coverage powder - YouTube

I think this is an up and coming trend so it might not be long til you feel more comfortable having them done all the time.

'Hey, nice nails' have a blog, they are in the us and I have seen plenty pics if men with nail art :)

Xxx

If nails are something that interest you why not train to do it in your spare time? Men do hair (and very well too!!) xx

There's actually a few male nail blogs (my memory is awful though and I can't remember any of the web addresses!). I remember being in my teens and bringing a bottle of UV light reactive glow polish to the club every week and all the guys loved it too! Now days I see lots of guys with make up, so why not nails?

I hung out with some New Yorkers a couple of years ago and watched them get ready for a night out. Tinted moisturiser, concealer and mascara was applied by all 3 of them. They were all straight, successful jock types, they just wanted to look their best.

Gender stereotyping and social "norms" are just restrictive and sad. I feel lucky to live somewhere where anything goes and no one blinks at even the most outrageous.

I totally stole by partners black striper polish when I found it too btw lol. Wasn't the least surprised he had it, more miffed that he rarely used it!

Thanks for your posts everybody they are great! I mainly posted because I wanted to honestly tell you all that the man who claimed that he "lost a bet with his girlfriend" actually just feels the urge to get his nails done and that there are a number of us. In fact, if you run into any of the following in your salon or ringing your phone:
- A man who "Lost a Bet" and has to get his nails done
- A man who "played Truth or Dare" and has to get his nails done
is a man who just really wants to get his nails done. In fact, I'd venture to guess that 85-90% of the men who:
- come in to "ask about buying a gift certificate" for their wife or girlfriend but just wants prices so that he can "come back on payday" to buy the certificate, or
- come in to ask about bringing their "niece" in next week for her sixteenth birthday because she wants a full set of acrylics and a pedicure "because her mom is finally allowing her to get her nails done"
are men who are scoping out your salon to see how comfortable they are in there.

The "gift certificate" line is my game. I do it to get my foot in the door, to see if the place is clean and if the people are nice, to see the collection of polishes and to see if they do any really cool nail art..

My advice, if you run into any of these, is offer a pedicure on the spot. They are nervous and afraid of your reaction. If you give them the choice, and you encourage them to do it, they will feel comfortable and during the pedicure you can "joke" using polish, and then about doing their nails as well. They will trust you and want to come back.

@greenreader29, I would love to take my wife for a "couple's" pedicure and manicure... but I just don't think she would understand.... she's pretty conservative and wants her man to be a man... I'm OK with that.

@jen889 you're right, but the couple of times they did my pinkie (when I saw some nail art I just couldn't resist) although I loved it, and even wore it for an afternoon while out and about, and got some nice compliments (and wishing I had all 10 done), it was a bear to soak off with acetone.

@Devonnaydf, if Delphos Ohio is within driving distance of Dayton, can I come in in mid May to get a full set and come back the next day for a soak off? I would love the experience, maybe actually getting it done would get it out of my system. Or get me further addicted...

@nailzoo, the Popits look like fun! Have you heard of these? (Custom Nail Solutions | Custom Nails | Acrylic Nails | Fake Nails)

@Sarah89Nails, I hope so. It would be good business for the nail salons too!

@IndieGlow, that though has actually crossed my mind, however I am such a perfectionist that I can't even paint a room because I can't get it just right... I doubt I could put a set of pink and whites on someone because I'd keep wanting to redo it!

@*Carly*, I love love love your nails in the picture. I love London too, I worked there about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Good golly miss Molly those nails are quite hideous! And just think of the pathogens! Yeeuk.

Although the idea of custom press on porcelains (like in the olden days of q.vikkie lol) sounds great, and probably quite perfect for yourself PrettyPink I would hate not being able to change my length or shape at a whim!

I hope you get your nails one day, although it won't get it out of your system and you will most definitely be hooked ;) x

@*Carly*, I love love love your nails in the picture. I love London too, I worked there about 10 years ago.

Aw thank you so much! I haven't started my training yet (still saving) and comments like that mean the world to me.

I live in Camden, so you probably know exactly what I mean, anything goes here! One of the reasons I love it so much :)

Very interesting what you said regarding men ringing/visiting with an excuse to test the waters, that would never have occurred to me! I actually from the start have always intended to make it very obvious in my marketing that men are also welcome clients and I also want to state somewhere that I'm trans friendly too. Knowing in advance I think instantly puts people at ease.

BB couture does an entire range of polish for men, though it's loved by women too. Such a great idea and really made them stand out as a company to me.

I've been in this industry 13 yrs now and been with my husband 12 yrs he's a builder , a right geezer but he insists I do his eyebrows , mani pedi before holidays the odd bit of waxing he's even started wearing pink!! We're in 2013 and I think anything goes!! I just read your post to hubby and he said fair play mate!! X

Last edited:
I don't no how my reply ended up on the end if your post lol I meant to do a quote :)

Thanks for your posts everybody they are great! I mainly posted because I wanted to honestly tell you all that the man who claimed that he "lost a bet with his girlfriend" actually just feels the urge to get his nails done and that there are a number of us. In fact, if you run into any of the following in your salon or ringing your phone:
- A man who "Lost a Bet" and has to get his nails done
- A man who "played Truth or Dare" and has to get his nails done
is a man who just really wants to get his nails done. In fact, I'd venture to guess that 85-90% of the men who:
- come in to "ask about buying a gift certificate" for their wife or girlfriend but just wants prices so that he can "come back on payday" to buy the certificate, or
- come in to ask about bringing their "niece" in next week for her sixteenth birthday because she wants a full set of acrylics and a pedicure "because her mom is finally allowing her to get her nails done"
are men who are scoping out your salon to see how comfortable they are in there.

The "gift certificate" line is my game. I do it to get my foot in the door, to see if the place is clean and if the people are nice, to see the collection of polishes and to see if they do any really cool nail art..

My advice, if you run into any of these, is offer a pedicure on the spot. They are nervous and afraid of your reaction. If you give them the choice, and you encourage them to do it, they will feel comfortable and during the pedicure you can "joke" using polish, and then about doing their nails as well. They will trust you and want to come back.

@greenreader29, I would love to take my wife for a "couple's" pedicure and manicure... but I just don't think she would understand.... she's pretty conservative and wants her man to be a man... I'm OK with that.

@jen889 you're right, but the couple of times they did my pinkie (when I saw some nail art I just couldn't resist) although I loved it, and even wore it for an afternoon while out and about, and got some nice compliments (and wishing I had all 10 done), it was a bear to soak off with acetone.

@Devonnaydf, if Delphos Ohio is within driving distance of Dayton, can I come in in mid May to get a full set and come back the next day for a soak off? I would love the experience, maybe actually getting it done would get it out of my system. Or get me further addicted...

@nailzoo, the Popits look like fun! Have you heard of these? (Custom Nail Solutions | Custom Nails | Acrylic Nails | Fake Nails)

@Sarah89Nails, I hope so. It would be good business for the nail salons too!

@IndieGlow, that though has actually crossed my mind, however I am such a perfectionist that I can't even paint a room because I can't get it just right... I doubt I could put a set of pink and whites on someone because I'd keep wanting to redo it!

If you find a tech you are comfortable with while away, ask them to cleanse and purify the nail properly, but not buff the surface. Then ask them to apply 2 coats of clear nail polish before applying the acrylic. Then it soaks off in super fast time, I've done this for one night special occasions for people in the NHS etc. Also once soaked off there is no sign that you have ever had anything done. That way you can have the acrylics on, paint them yourself if you wish in private, and get them off super fast xx alternatively find someone who can do the new CND Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel.

Xxx

Aw thank you so much! I haven't started my training yet (still saving) and comments like that mean the world to me.

I live in Camden, so you probably know exactly what I mean, anything goes here! One of the reasons I love it so much :)

Very interesting what you said regarding men ringing/visiting with an excuse to test the waters, that would never have occurred to me! I actually from the start have always intended to make it very obvious in my marketing that men are also welcome clients and I also want to state somewhere that I'm trans friendly too. Knowing in advance I think instantly puts people at ease.

BB couture does an entire range of polish for men, though it's loved by women too. Such a great idea and really made them stand out as a company to me.

I know it's a rotten thing to come in and ask about buying a gift and then say that I'll come back later in the week to buy it. But it works... and the one time the nice Vietnamese lady in Pennsylvania asked me "You want pedicure?" and I stammered "yes" and then asked "what color should I get" and she picked a metallic blue. She started it for me and made me bolder the next time. If I walk in and like the place I'll just ask outright. And then if I see some nail art on display I'll look through it and maybe pick something for my big toes. Twice I got acrylics on my pinkies because I found a nail art sample that I truly loved. But I didn't have to work the next day so I had time to enjoy and soak it off.

And, though I like the idea of polish lines for men, I love the more feminine colors too -- my faves are light metallic purples, metallic pinks, burgundies and even reds.

It would be great to advertise "men and trans friendly." Even better, reserve a private area for men.

You know, one of the reasons I like the vibe of nail salons is that watching a nail tech work is like watching an artist. Even a simple set of nails is an art, sculpting the acrylic or gels perfectly.

If I get back over there, and you start your training, you can practice on me :p

I just thought I'd pop on and say that I took the weekend off from work (I'm working in the San Francisco Bay Area) and glued a set of Revlon french manicure nails on my hands this past Saturday. Not acrylic, but hey, they looked really nice. Just to see what the reaction would be.

It was mostly positive. I got a few funny stares from guys (most that saw it ignored it, maybe they were jealous) but at the restaurant I ate at, two waitresses (one with REALLY nice nails) told me that they loved them on me. Other than that, no major reactions at all. I took them off Monday morning for work. Oddly enough, the worst reaction I got was when I wore them into Sally's Beauty Supply to buy some acetone. Counter girl (with much uglier nails that badly needed a fill) actually turned up her nose.

I think I'm going to do it again this weekend when I go in for a pedicure, see if I have the cajones to have the glue on nails polished or done in a little art.

I'm getting there, girls.

Glad you enjoyed them :) I work from a home salon and men are always welcome, maybe you would find it easier going to a home salon or having a mobile tech visit you. If you love it just go for it :)

Xxx

When i was training my now husband let me practise acrylics on him, i didnt prep the nail and put a clear nail varnish on beforehand so they would come off easier. He lets me tint his eyebrows and i give him a regular manicure! He also lets our two year old daughter drag him downstairs to my home salon and paint his nails in the usual bright red, he didnt take it off properly one night and he got mocked the next day by all the other guys he works with...the typical mans man builders! He didnt care though, he likes being pampered

OK ladies, popping back on, I came back out to San Francisco for business last week and went to my wonderful nail lady for my pedicure Friday night.... My toes are a beautiful bright purple... A woman was getting pink and white nails done with a sheer green topcoat for St Patricks Day. She told me I should get my nails done for the weekend, my nail tech agreed... I told her I didn't want anything too permanent but I felt like I could pull it off for a couple of days...

She did a set of what she called "Party Nails" on me, like a full cover tip and a thin layer of acrylic just to make them look like acrylic, but easier to soak off. She picked a green Essie called "Mojito Madness". I absolutely loved it..

First night, after getting my nails done, I went and had dinner at the Westfield on Market Street. Lady at the foodcourt went ga ga over them! I then took the escalators up toward Nordstroms (they have really cool spiral escalators) and a girl with beautiful blue nails asked me about them, and gave me her number. I'm married but it was a nice ego boost.

Saturday I spent the day up on the wharf, some people asked me and I told them they were for St. Paddys Day and they approved. Then a man approached me and told me he wished he had the guts to do that. We chatted for a while and then, well, he started hitting on me. He stammered on and on about my nails and how much he wanted to do that and how I should take him to my tech... A little uncomfortable but I wish I could have helped him, at least to take him to get his nails done...

Sunday was great too... got hit on by a few more ladies... but had to take them off last night.

It felt so good to be able to have beautiful hands... and my fingers feel so naked now.

So glad you've been able to get some "acrylics" done and go out and enjoy them. I was thinking about you the other day and wondering how you were getting on xxx

Sexypinknails... I loved reading this thread☺made me smile. Think you should book you and your wife a spa weekend then have pedicure together, it's a nice gesture to her and hopefully it opens doors for the future. X

OK ladies, popping back on, I came back out to San Francisco for business last week and went to my wonderful nail lady for my pedicure Friday night.... My toes are a beautiful bright purple... A woman was getting pink and white nails done with a sheer green topcoat for St Patricks Day. She told me I should get my nails done for the weekend, my nail tech agreed... I told her I didn't want anything too permanent but I felt like I could pull it off for a couple of days...

She did a set of what she called "Party Nails" on me, like a full cover tip and a thin layer of acrylic just to make them look like acrylic, but easier to soak off. She picked a green Essie called "Mojito Madness". I absolutely loved it..

First night, after getting my nails done, I went and had dinner at the Westfield on Market Street. Lady at the foodcourt went ga ga over them! I then took the escalators up toward Nordstroms (they have really cool spiral escalators) and a girl with beautiful blue nails asked me about them, and gave me her number. I'm married but it was a nice ego boost.

Saturday I spent the day up on the wharf, some people asked me and I told them they were for St. Paddys Day and they approved. Then a man approached me and told me he wished he had the guts to do that. We chatted for a while and then, well, he started hitting on me. He stammered on and on about my nails and how much he wanted to do that and how I should take him to my tech... A little uncomfortable but I wish I could have helped him, at least to take him to get his nails done...

Sunday was great too... got hit on by a few more ladies... but had to take them off last night.

It felt so good to be able to have beautiful hands... and my fingers feel so naked now.

It is quite refreshing to hear a male, a man looking after his nails. When I was training, my hubby was my model, still is. He has had mani's, pedi's and lately lash extensions, although I take these off once I'm finished.
Now for the next step...post a pic of your nails. I'm sure the others would love to see them too xx

Like I said in another thread, I like to keep things unisex.
We have ladies coming for manicures but also guys coming for plain manicures and pedicures (usually the wifes book it for them) and also manicures with Shellac (and I'm not talking just nude colors or greys but silver with gold glitter fades etc!)
I always ask if the guy wants polish (usually call it "clear coat" or "nail strengthener" to get the feel if they would like maybe a color but also so I don't offend "straight" guys with a "polish" question.
What might make guys comfortable is that our salon is divided into rooms (our building used to be an inn in 1850). Manicures and pedicures are done in a separate area and we have only 2 mani and 1 pedi station so people don't feel "on display"
I so wish we had more male clients!
Which makes me think ... where/how do I advertise "guys welcome for menly and not-so-menly manicures"? ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back