Acrylic nails on a man?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously, ladies, if any of you come up with a method of making beautiful nails that feel permanent like acrylic but can come off easily (I don't mind soaking in acetone), I would love to visit you just for the experience.

If any of you have any questions of this nail loving man, I'll answer honestly.
How about Shellac? It comes off easier then L&P (acrylic) and it looks awesome!
If you are ever in Toronto area please visit us for an awesome mani (and pedi):)

If you are ever in Toronto area please visit us for an awesome mani (and pedi):)

I happen to have a project lined up in Toronto later this year so I will definitely take you up on that Anna!

I have gotten the shellac on my toes and I love it, it wears like iron even when I wear my steel toured boots all day. But my fingers, I like the acrylic... It allows for even lengths and a nice smooth surface that polish looks good on. I love how they actually feel natural once you get used to them. And the process us an art, it's fun to watch.

It is quite refreshing to hear a male, a man looking after his nails. When I was training, my hubby was my model, still is. He has had mani's, pedi's and lately lash extensions, although I take these off once I'm finished.
Now for the next step...post a pic of your nails. I'm sure the others would love to see them too xx

I promise to take a pic next time... I thought about it but all I had was my cellphone and I didn't want my wife to accidentally see it. Not ready to tell her about this yet. That's why only do this on business trips.

Well to start I am a crossdresser/transgender, I try to go out a couple times a week but the rest of the time I am a normal male. I also love nails and it is the one thing I would do all the time if society was okay with it. That being said I do get acrylic nails once or twice a year. The first time I ever got them done I made the appointment and told the lady I had lost a bet, sound familiar. The next time I actually dressed up as a woman and again told the lady I had lost a bet. The funny thing is several years back after having nails for a few day I went to a salon to get them off and the ladies there were so wonderful, did a great job and told me I was welcome back anytime if I wanted a manicure or pedicure. I have been going there now for several years. I only get Acrylics a couple times a year but I get pedicures and manicures 6 to 8 times a year. I have also recommended some of my friend who now go there.
Now nice nails is something everyone should have and if you like color on your toes no one see them if you have shoes on. I have always wondered why nail salons do not target men as even a small amount of men getting nails done would be an increase in business and after all what is important is taking care of customers. Just my thought.

Firstly gender is irrelevant, do you want the custom or not.

Secondly cross dressers are not (perverted) if your gonna say disgusting remarks at least use the full word. If the male is a cross dresser then you should be flattered that they chose you to do them.

Absolutely appalled by the OP narrow minded prejudice views.

I've been having overlays for ten years I'm neither a cross dresser nor a pervert. And can we stop referring to people as normal and abnormal.

Sexuality and Cross dressing are hardly a suitable subject for this site, and I find it amazing that people on here can be so offensive and it's high time they came out of the dark ages.

Smuff, of course you are right.
However your words may be wasted on the OP as this thread was started in July 2012 and the OP hasn't even logged on for over 6 months.

The thread has been bumped up in Feb 2013 and now more recently by Geeks who themselves get their nails done, and they have given us some great insight into this topic.

Yes the OP had a very blinkered and immature attitude when this thread was started, but hopefully if she ever came back and read the constructive responses then maybe that would change.

Firstly gender is irrelevant, do you want the custom or not.

Secondly cross dressers are not (perverted) if your gonna say disgusting remarks at least use the full word. If the male is a cross dresser then you should be flattered that they chose you to do them.

Absolutely appalled by the OP narrow minded prejudice views.

I've been having overlays for ten years I'm neither a cross dresser nor a pervert. And can we stop referring to people as normal and abnormal.

Sexuality and Cross dressing are hardly a suitable subject for this site, and I find it amazing that people on here can be so offensive and it's high time they came out of the dark ages.

I disagree with it not being a topic for this forum, it's so refreshing to read through this thread- it tackles a direct issue which is relevant to our industry but that a lot of people shy away from! Yeah you get some foolish, badly thought out and somewhat small minded comments on here (i mean so what if it's a dare or a lost bet, who cares why he's asking, fact is he's asking right?) but I'm so pleased to see the majority of people on this thread don't give a monkeys about gender, and understand if anyone, anywhere wants to have nails, for whatever reason, they should!

Everyone here has been so supportive of the gentleman who wanted to wear nails but could only do it on business trips! And it's amazing- he now has the confidence and the push he needed to go out there and do it, with a great response from people!!

I feel very strongly about people being who they want to be and would happily do anyone's nails if they wanted it for whatever reason. I agree as a woman when first doing a new male client it's important to consider your safety if you work alone, but apart from that who cares what gender they are! In fact I would love to have the privilege of doing a mans nails for the first time (or transgender) especially if he or she hadn't had the confidence to ask anyone before! We all love what we do right? We are in the business of making people feel good - whoever they are!

Smuff, of course you are right.
However your words may be wasted on the OP as this thread was started in July 2012 and the OP hasn't even logged on for over 6 months.

The thread has been bumped up in Feb 2013 and now more recently by Geeks who themselves get their nails done, and they have given us some great insight into this topic.

Yes the OP had a very blinkered and immature attitude when this thread was started, but hopefully if she ever came back and read the constructive responses then maybe that would change.

Thankyou for responding. I know that it was an old thread but some of the comments at the begining made me so angry. Thankyou for your kind words.

As hard as it might be to believe, some straight men have a passion for nails just as much as you ladies do, for the same reason (they look/feel nice)! Myself included! I would never get acrylics though. Mine are all natural, and long :)

He's probably just embarrassed to admit that he likes having nails. personally I'm proud of it and don't feel like it's anything to be ashamed of. I think you will start seeing more of this as time goes on. Gender equality should go both ways! Women who do traditionally masculine things (like wear certain types of clothes or hairstyles) are not generally ridiculed and mocked anymore for being "manly". I wish the same would apply the other way around!

Last edited:
Yeah, no kidding! I agree.

Gender equality should go both ways! Women who do traditionally masculine things (like wear certain types of clothes or hairstyles) are not generally ridiculed and mocked anymore for being "manly". I wish the same would apply the other way around!

If I lived in Toronto, you're you kind of nail tech I'd visit. I'd want a mani with baby pink polish. My nails are real, half an inch long and well looked after. :) Is that manly enough for you? Luckily, I'm totally comfortable with my sexuality. I just love nails!

I joined this site just to comment on this topic. I am a guy who paints his toenails and fingernails... I recently got a mani/pedi with my wife as her birthday gift to me. I now have a very neat french pedi and on my fingernails i have short, squoval, awesome acrylic tips w/ sparkly pink (OPI princesses rule)... I love them both. They look just sooooo nice!

After breaking 2 fingers, my index and middle fingernails have never been the same... they are thin, pitted, ridged and the split right down the middle painfully. Not to mention they no longer look nice when polished...

So now I get acrylics. Not super long but definitely I guess what most would call girly
And I do favor pinks over darker colors for sure.

I work from home so I realize this is likely easier for me than most guys but I still face the outside world every day as a guy w/ 'girly' pink acrylic fingernails and french pedicure... or pink pedicure, or whatever I am in the mood for...

Do what you want to do and try not to worry about everyone else. I know first hand how nerve wracking it can be but it gets easier and easier. I really don't care about what strangers think in the slightest. Friends, family and neighbors are all I cared about and once they get over it - or not - you are good to go.
So far no one has said anything to me. You don't need society's permission. The teen girl that wore pajama bottoms and slippers to the store didnt ask YOUR permission. The guy w/ the nose ring and giant disk in his earlobe didn't ask your permission! I understand if you are concerned becauae you are single and that women may be put off I can understand that too. Just know that the one for you Will understand....

In full disclosure - I am a cute crossdresser so my reasons for liking nails will likely be different from yours but if you are open minded you will realize that I face the same challenges as any polished guy or guy w/ nail enhancements... 99% of the time I am dressed as a guy in a guy's world yet I still have my nails... everyone can see them. The bottom line is I don't care what people think because
It doesn't matter what anyone thinks about your appearance - be it hair, height, eye color, weight or in our case - nails. You can't control what people think regardless. So live your life on your terms. No one else's. If people can't respect that - that is their shortcoming.

I love my nails and won't be changing them for anyone. Least of a some shallow insensitive girls, boys, men or women that feel like it is their right to judge me.

I was browsing the archives and came upon this post. I model both male and female nails including acrylics and gels. Much I my work is with nail students and beginning techs I salute the open mindedness and progressive attitude of the nail techs on this board. I answered an ad for a nail tech seeking a model for a men's clear gel manicure. It came out great she said I had beautiful hands long slender fingers and great nail beds would I be open to returning to allow her to do a full set of acrylics with art work for her portfolio. I agreed they come out amazing. We worked together on another project with aquarium nails and she referred me to another tech who was looking to do male to female nail makeovers for advertising to attract business from the transgender community and develope a nich market. I have since been referred several more times and average 4 to 8 bookings a month. Although in my day to day life I am content with my natural nails I am amazed at the talent of some of the people I have worked with and the great people I have met along the way. I always tell the clients my nails are yours to create with no limits. Sometimes it's as simple as a men's manicure or clear gel other times it's as elaborate as a 6 hour project with 3 different sets of nails but I have found a great respect for the talent in the industry and I thank you for being open minded and making my job possible.

I love long nails. But I'm a cross dresser. No biggie though. The way the world is going it is becoming totally acceptable. He should do what he wants. It's not hurting anyone .......... image.jpg

I'm a male to female cross dresser I would love to find a salon here in east Tennessee that was open minded and nice. Everytime I have went I chicken out getting nails and polish BC it feels like everyone is judging me just for walking in.

I’ve recently started getting my nails done, started doing them myself but struggled getting my right hand to look good. I’ve always wanted to get them done but always chickened out. Finally I just made an appointment then it was set, it was gonna happen, if I make an appointment, I’m not the type to waste their time and be a no show. Went in and got clear pink with a soft pink tip acrylics, not super long but definitely longer than what the average male have. Was somewhat nervous but with the soft pink they didn’t look to unnatural. Few weeks later I made another appointment when it was time for a fill, we decided to start fresh and I showed a picture of what I wanted, basically the same as I had, she oh, you want a white tip? I said yes, that basically it. She ended putting stark white tips on with clear pink acrylic overlay, I asked if she could tone down the white but she didn’t seem to understand (there was a bit of a language barrier) I just decided to go with it. I was more nervous than before with the stark white tip, I knew it would be more obvious but to my surprise the comments I’ve received (not very many really) have been positive, or they seemed that way. Recently got a pink and white full set and love them. Now I may venture a little farther and get a black tip, maybe blue or red
D0535CC4-8035-4F71-BE35-28DC3B797640.jpeg

These are my other half’s hands, he’s 6’3” and bless him volunteered his hands as I had a model drop out last minute for a final assessment [emoji23]was a bit tricky as he has wide nails, fan shaped etc but on the plus side it stretched me and I learnt a lot doing them...suffice to say he couldn’t wait to get them off after, he did get rather a big head though through all the girls telling him how lovely he was for doing it for me [emoji849][emoji23]
Good luck and I’m sure yo
5ff31baae30d2f9c870d151ec06287dd.jpg
u will be just fine xx

Looking forward to next visit I am going to go for french manicure with black tip my only question really is what is best acrylic or gel ? my local saloon has had a change of staff and now they do acrylic as well as gel where as before they only did gel and that’s all I have had done before ?
Will they be receptive to a man having his nails done, with new staff ?

I have an appointment to have that very thing done tonight. I get acrylic because I like the hardness of it. If they have black acrylic powder I’m gonna do that, if not I’m just going to do pink and white.

Looking forward to next visit I am going to go for french manicure with black tip my only question really is what is best acrylic or gel ? my local saloon has had a change of staff and now they do acrylic as well as gel where as before they only did gel and that’s all I have had done before ?
Will they be receptive to a man having his nails done, with new staff ?

Went in Wednesday and got pink and black, my nail tech is dying to do some more creative stuff, said she can’t wait for me to come in and tell her she can do whatever she wants. Stopped into a convenience store last Saturday and the cashier had pink and white nails, went to pay for my stuff and she says “hey, we have matching nails”, I had pink and white at the time. Then she asked where I went because mine were nicer than hers. Told her where I went and who to ask for. That was the first time someone had said anything about my nails and it turned into an actual conversation, usually if they say anything it along the lines of “I like your nails” and that’s about the end of it. No gonna lie, it made my day. Then when I went in to see my nail tech, she asked if I’d referred someone, she had actually done the lady from the convenience stores nails the day before. Thought that was pretty cool. Then got a comment from our office manager yesterday she saw my nails and said, “oh, what color did you get and checked out my nails” and we talked nails for a couple minutes.
8A21A7CC-B656-4D43-B6D4-83C0F6DE0F2E.jpeg

Here are my current nails.

They look great I am going for the same look although I will probably have them a little longer with square tips, did your nail tech use polish or did you have gel ?
Great to hear you have had some nice comments too.

They’re all acrylic, dark pink powder and black acrylic powder, with a gel top coat. I’m rough on my nails and wasn’t gonna do black unless she had black acrylic, if it gets chipped, at least it’ll still be black. I’ve been getting mine professionally done for 4 or 5 months and so far any comments have been positive. I would do them longer but then as they grow out they get really long, probably should have gone a little longer though

Latest posts

Back