Acrylic or gel, which do you prefer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm Diana, a nail technician working in Uk. Who's from here I think you could understand me. I work with gels and currently acrylic it's more popular around me and clients don't know too much about gel. I try to explain them that it's only a difference on the technique and on what I prefer to work with but not everyone understands. Do you have any advice for me? Thank you :)

The UK are definitely more used to L&P than Gel, Gel is far more popular across various European countries. Over the years there have been many 'swings' in popularity of systems. For a long time Gel wasn't really available here (I'm talking 30/40 years ago) so L&P was the main system, then Gel became more widely available and a marketing person came up with the view that 'gel was kinder the nails than acrylic' and that swept through the public. That's clearly not true but never underestimate the power of the media. Then Fibreglass/silk nails were popular for a while, but they're not particularly strong so L&P came back into favour because it's stronger. Then Gel came back because some marketing person said 'gel is organic' - well technicially anything with carbon in it is organic, but the public liked 'organic' so it was all the rage. Then people wised up, and L&P became popular again. Now there have been advances in Gel, with things like LED curing, no heat spikes, stronger composition, soak off products, etc. Gel is having small resurgence. I have no doubt it will change again soon :D:cool:

For you as a Gel Tech it's about proving your skills rather than changing minds, do excellent work in whatever brand you chose and clients will come back, they don't particularly care what you use as long as they last a decent amount of time, are pretty and don't damage their natural nails. Demonstrate those things and you'll always have a client base.

Thank you Trinity for your answer. It really helped my confidence. :):cool:

I do acrylic and gel and in my shop I would say we use them both equally

Latest posts

Back