Acrylic paint and water decals with Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise88

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've bought some acrylic paint to start doing more details nail art but can I use it on the top of shellac if I do a top coat then wipe the sticky layer off and do the acrylic paint on the top then as other top coat? Also bought so lovely water decals can I do the same with them? Thanks

Hi!

Yes, that's how I do it. You can even buff the topcoat slightly so when you're working with acrylic paint, your brush doesn't slide too much. Then when you topcoat again, it comes up shiny again.

Same with water decals - you can either apply to topcoat, or sticky layer of 2nd colour coat - up to you. Again, as long as you finish with a final topcoat.

Hth xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi!

Yes, that's how I do it. You can even buff the topcoat slightly so when you're working with acrylic paint, your brush doesn't slide too much. Then when you topcoat again, it comes up shiny again.

Same with water decals - you can either apply to topcoat, or sticky layer of 2nd colour coat - up to you. Again, as long as you finish with a final topcoat.

Hth xx

Thanks for your reply, I just did a tester with the decals and I found that the clear edges of the decal was sticking up and when I put top top on u could feel it really bad. How do u get it to stick on the edges? Xx

I usually do acrylic paint after buffing, and add a layer of foundation gel after the acrylic paint, then add top coat.

Thanks for your reply, I just did a tester with the decals and I found that the clear edges of the decal was sticking up and when I put top top on u could feel it really bad. How do u get it to stick on the edges? Xx

Did you remove the clear film over the top? Only because some come with a pesky thin plastic to preserve the design on top (found this out the hard way!) and that sometimes makes the edges stick out.

The water decals should be wafer thin and take on the shape of the nail. If it feels too stiff, either check the plastic as above, or maybe soak it a bit more?

I'm sure it'll all work out! Good luck x

Latest posts

Back