acrylic paint scratches off!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonjovirock4eva

Reaction score
hi ive been practising nail art recently and read on here that alot of you use water based acrylic i bought some and brushes and am having lots of fun making new designs only problem is im applying 2 coats of topcoat (opi) but the designs are scratching off in less than a day! i spent 2hrs doing my sisters on sat by yesterday they were comin off!!!:mad:

am i doing something wrong??? does any1 else have this problem??? any help would be great xxx:)

hey,

I always use acrylic paint for nail art and it comes off with water/ is scratch off. I use OPI topcoat, and it works great. I can't imagine why yours doesnt work?

I would make sure you're applying the OPI topcoat really thick, as from what I've seen most people use a nail art sealer or gel topcoat.

You shouldn't be able to "feel" the design, if that helps at all, once you put topcoat on. All I can think is that you're not applying the topcoat thick enough.. HTH

Nail varnish is usually touch dry within minutes and workably dry within 20-30minutes especially if you use SpeedSpray. However, it isn't usually pressure dry for at least 24hrs. Hope this helps. x

Try putting a UV Gel finish gloss on it. Then it won't go ANYWHERE until YOU file it off. ;)

Otherwise, what top coat are you using? I have never had that problem, and I use water based acrylic paint as well.

I use a uv topcoat called "Seal It' by Nailite.
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT:!:
Cures in 1min. Great shine. Goes on like polish. Unaffected by acetone, so if a client wants to paint over the art for whatever reason, then remove the polish to see it again, it's still there and perfect.

Something I often do for clients who have a special occasion or two, is two sets of art.
I'll do some art or a plain french or whatever, under the "Seal It", then something different over top.

Like for example : Christmas/New Years.
Say a client is coming Dec 20th-23rd.... I'll do a set of New Years Art under the "Seal It". THEN I'll paint something Christmassy over top.
After Christmas, they remove their Christmas art and low and behold, their New Year's stuff is right underneath.

Clients love this option.

hth's
:green:

I use a uv topcoat called "Seal It' by Nailite.
LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT:!:
Cures in 1min. Great shine. Goes on like polish. Unaffected by acetone, so if a client wants to paint over the art for whatever reason, then remove the polish to see it again, it's still there and perfect.

Something I often do for clients who have a special occasion or two, is two sets of art.
I'll do some art or a plain french or whatever, under the "Seal It", then something different over top.

Like for example : Christmas/New Years.
Say a client is coming Dec 20th-23rd.... I'll do a set of New Years Art under the "Seal It". THEN I'll paint something Christmassy over top.
After Christmas, they remove their Christmas art and low and behold, their New Year's stuff is right underneath.

Clients love this option.

hth's
:green:
That is a fab idea but i hope you are charging them extra

ooh nailite sounds good, I'm getting some!

I too use acrylic water based paints, I use them over the top of a base coat and then finish with a top coat. I use Stickey and Super Shiney by Creative and have to say that I haven't ever had a problem with the designs scratching off. Are you using a base coat?

I agree with Hope, I have always used acrylic paints with sticky etc not ever had a problem, my clients keep thier nail art until I remove it.

One thing though, are you applying nail art to a natural nail or on overlay/extensions? Natural nail art wont last as long!! for long term nail art try a really thin overlay of gel or l&p first and it will last ages! hth :hug:

hi there thank u for all ur replies x i am painting on natural nails i usually tend to apply 2 coats of polish then paint on the nail art then top with 2 coats of top coat i didnt think of applying clear gel over the top can i do that straight on to a natural nail?

I use my Airshield from NSI which dries in 3 minutes to a high gloss and is quite thick so protects nail art really well. I also finish off with OPI's Dry Drops which are so good!! It means my clients can be confident in driving home or getting their keys out of their bags without damaging their nails.

Yes, it really works! I road tested it as i have been painting my nails of late and doing nail art on them, so need something which stands up to being scratched etc. It really dries the polish or top coat within 90 seconds!

Latest posts

Back