Acrylic Removal... frustrating!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen2k

Reaction score
Hi, can someone please help me!!

Does anyone know of an effective way of removing acrylic nails step by step for me cuz it wasnt really covered 100% in my course and from what I've researched I'm not sure how to use acetone confidently as some say to soak the nails in pure acetone; others say to use acetone in warm water and others say to use pure acetone submerged in warm water...

Sorry if i sound silly or if its a question I should already know the answer to but i'd rather ask and sound silly but learn how to do it effectively then not ask and do it wrong... thanks peeps!

I tend to soak mine in pads of acetone and wrap in foil like chicken legs, much better when only one ot two to do as you can still work around the other fingers.

But you can remove L&P where acetone is put in finger soakers they are pink.

You can put acetone in a bowl and soak off or you can place this bowl inside another with warm water as the water is meant to quicken the removal process.

You can get another thing that si filled with hot water adn you pour acetone into the shalloow bowls(sorry cant remember what theya re called).

So lots of differetn ways just depends what you prefer.

HTH

I apply a little petroleum jelly surrounding the nail (cuticle, finger area) then saturate cotton balls in acetone, place on nail and wrap fingers in tin foil (individualy). Then when all are wraped, I wrap a towel around each hand to keep the acetone warm (supposed to acivate better when warm). After maybe 10 mins, I open each one up, one at a time and gently scrape away what has already started to melt and wrap it back up and wait some more till it's all removed.

thanks for the posts!

can i ask the reason for using the petroleum jelly first? its just so i know the reason for puttin it onto the finger (i ask too many questions i know sorry!)

i think i'll definitely try using the foil method and wrapping the towel around the hand(s) too.

Also; scattyfox the pink finger soakers you were talking bout - i bought these the other day from a nail supplies website (if no one has used it before i thought it has some nice stuff on there!) and i found the pink finger spa soakers so are these what you mean?

ive included the link:

http://www.creativenailplace.com/Tech_pages/soakoff.htm

im learnin so much i think im gonna have to start taking notes again!

[.

You can get another thing that si filled with hot water adn you pour acetone into the shalloow bowls(sorry cant remember what theya re called).

So lots of differetn ways just depends what you prefer.

HTH[/quote]

They are called quicksoak bowls, NSI sell them for around £15 plus VAT. They are great, I use one and it soaks them off in no time!

Thats the things thank you, quicksoak bowls and finger soakers havent ever tried themself have to say,

sorry it was late last night lol

Brilliant so i will definitely have to try all those methods!
How long on average does it take you peeps to remove them? Also if you get most of the acrylic off and there's still some left is it ok just to buff the remainder off or with these methods does it get it off completely?

Just had a thought that maybe thats the suggestion to do with the pertroleum jelly so it makes the acrylic come away from the natural nail easier or is that completely wrong?

You're all fab with the ideas you have I'm really glad i found this site it's invaluable!

I use the petroleum jelly so the pure acetone isn't absorbing into the skin. It will prevent your clients fingers from turning white from the acetone. (a temporary reaction) Be sure not to apply it onto the nail at all or you will defeat the purpose of your removal.

This was taught to me when I went to school for nails.

I usually file off the top layer first to break the seal.....then have my clients rub there hands with oil.....( cuticle oil ) and then we soak the nails in my Sonic Touch machine wich vibrates and heats the acetone at the same time .....cover there hands with a towel to cut down on fumes and keep it warmer....there soak time is usually about 25-35 min....depending on the thickness of the nails in the first place.....

I usually file off the top layer first to break the seal.....then have my clients rub there hands with oil.....( cuticle oil ) and then we soak the nails in my Sonic Touch machine wich vibrates and heats the acetone at the same time .....cover there hands with a towel to cut down on fumes and keep it warmer....there soak time is usually about 25-35 min....depending on the thickness of the nails in the first place.....

Are sonic touch machines good? Have researched them before but wasnt sure... it said on one site that it can cut down removal time by up to 70%?
The theory of them is good with the heating up and vibration stuff but I wasnt sure. Are they easy to use?

I too file down the acrylic first then use solar oil on the fingers to stop them going white with the acetone, use pads soaked in acatone around each finger and wrap in foil...I then put in warm mitts which I rest on a heated pad to keep the hands warm...this method takes me about 20 mins (if I resist the urge to unwrap them to see if they are ready earlier...doing this increases the time to remove):eek: Then as each becomes product free I can work on those while waiting for the rest to come off, rather than using bowls and having to wait until all of them are removed.

Hi there, i use the same method as nailsbydesign, with the cuticle oil on first (to stop the surrounding skin going white & avoid over exposure etc), then the soaked cotton wool on the nail, each finger wrapped up in foil and i put each hand into a warmed towel (heated mitts would be ideal but my budget hasn't quite stretched that far yet!), leave for approx 20 - 25 mins and the product is usually ready to slide off the nail. Best to try and resist the urge to keep checking on them as it ends up taking forever otherwise lol! x

Are sonic touch machines good? Have researched them before but wasnt sure... it said on one site that it can cut down removal time by up to 70%?
The theory of them is good with the heating up and vibration stuff but I wasnt sure. Are they easy to use?

couldn't live without it ....very , very easy to use......and the cleanup for me is easier....I just get a couple of paper towels and smash in the bowl to soak up liquid take a big swipe to get the "bits".......and whala! spray with my disinfectant and I'm done ....easy as pie!

Hi There, i was taught at college to remove acrylic from nails like you said pad soaked in acetone and wrapped in foil. The acylic was no way thick. I kept checking it every ten mins and thought i was doing well. But time flew and it took an hour and half. I am distraught as i told my client 40 mins tops. I feel a right idiot and totally upset about doing it again but i know i have too. what am i doing wrong please tell me.
from upset trace x

Hi There, i was taught at college to remove acrylic from nails like you said pad soaked in acetone and wrapped in foil. The acylic was no way thick. I kept checking it every ten mins and thought i was doing well. But time flew and it took an hour and half. I am distraught as i told my client 40 mins tops. I feel a right idiot and totally upset about doing it again but i know i have too. what am i doing wrong please tell me.
from upset trace x
Make sure that the pads have enough acetone one them and DONT check every ten minutes as this prolongs the removal process...leave at least 20 mins and then if not all off add some more acatone to the pads wrap in foil and check again 15 mins after that....any that are clear of product you can start to manicure. Are you sure it was L&P and not gel as most gels are file off there are only a few that are soak off!!! An hour and a half is very long for L&P (acrylic). Did you file some of the bulk of the product down first??...I do this as it helps to speed up the removal as there is less to soak off.

I use the finger soakers..... they are great.....I love them.:lol:

Hi thanks for your reply. No i didnt file most of the acrylic off first. is that what you supposed to do. They didnt teach that way at college. It is definitley ez flow monomer and liquid i use i have just checked many thanks for your help
from trace x

Hi thanks for your reply. No i didnt file most of the acrylic off first. is that what you supposed to do. They didnt teach that way at college. It is definitley ez flow monomer and liquid i use i have just checked many thanks for your help
from trace x

:cry: so do you actually soak the cottonwool and place on fingers etc, or do you get the client to do it themselves, as surely the acetone, while you are messing with it is damaging your own beautifull nails??

sandy x

Latest posts

Back