Acrylic removal, Pregnancy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klara

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a situation with a friend of mine and I really would like to hear your opinion.

My friend had L&P a few weeks ago. She discovered she was pregnant, and unfortunately she has a problem with her pregnancy (she is 7 weeks pregnant) and the doctor ordered her to stay only in bed and avoid any strong smells.

The problem is that the acrylic must be removed. There is no way to use monomer and do infill. She loved her nails she wants extensions again, I thought to use gel instead, since there is no odour, but I am afraid of Scrubfresh that I have to use for nail prep, since it contains acetone, and maybe the smell is strong for her.

But my main problem is how to remove the acrylic, since I have to use acetone or product remover (which contains acetone) and they are both strong.
I was thinking to file it off with hand files or e-file (I am trained with e-file)
But will the acrylic remove by this way only?
Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you

Hi Klara,

I take it if she is to stay in bed, then you will be doing her nails at home. Try this..ask her to burn a couple of drops of lemongrass oil, diluted with water in an oil burner, in the room you are going to be working in, for about an hour before you start to remove the nails. Lemongrass is great for absorbing smells and has a very subtle smell.

Using heated acetone, soak both hands at the same time and put a towel over the top of her hands, leave for about 20-30 minutes and the l&p should be more or less ready to just slide off.

Can not speak for scrubfresh as I have never used it, sorry.

Let me know if it works. Can not think of anything else.

Lisa x

Hi,
I have a situation with a friend of mine and I really would like to hear your opinion.

My friend had L&P a few weeks ago. She discovered she was pregnant, and unfortunately she has a problem with her pregnancy (she is 7 weeks pregnant) and the doctor ordered her to stay only in bed and avoid any strong smells.

The problem is that the acrylic must be removed. There is no way to use monomer and do infill. She loved her nails she wants extensions again, I thought to use gel instead, since there is no odour, but I am afraid of Scrubfresh that I have to use for nail prep, since it contains acetone, and maybe the smell is strong for her.

But my main problem is how to remove the acrylic, since I have to use acetone or product remover (which contains acetone) and they are both strong.
I was thinking to file it off with hand files or e-file (I am trained with e-file)
But will the acrylic remove by this way only?
Is there anything else I can do?
Thank you

Why do you have to remove whats already on? Go for Gel... just infill with gel and forget removal until she is past the 12weeks just to be on the safe side. Scrubfresh won't harm her, just keep the lid on when not in use and put the lint straight into a bag and dispose of straight away, and if you're really worried get her to wrap a napkin round her face. Whatever you do.. no matter how much a mate she is.. get her to sign a declaration!

Thank you very much for your replies :hug:

I haven't done the L&P on her nails, but I know it's CND product. It's 5-6 weeks old :eek: and this happened because of her pregnancy problems.

I checked them there is no lifting, and I will see if I can put Gel on it.

I don't know if she is allowed to use essential oils, she must ask her doctor I guess. If I can't put gel, I will try the heated acetone and the towel on it.

Scrubfresh is used for the nail preparation and it contains acetone, so I don't know how strong this may be when I will use it on her nails.

Thank you both again for your suggestions :hug:

Why not give her a mask to wear while you do her nails, she is a mate so its not like a normal client

If her pregnancy is that fragile that she has to stay in bed i wouldn't do anything to her at all at the moment
A disclaimer for this would be pointless as well as worthless noone could accuse anyone doing their nails of bringing on a miscarriage and if they did get accused there would be no case for it anyway.

I'm not sure if anyone here will like my suggestion or not, but it's a suggestion to think about if these other suggestions aren't an option...
Why not file her l&p down very thin and just let them grow out.....every couple of weeks give her a manicure and shorten them up a tad. That way you are avoiding chemicals altogether.

I'm not sure if anyone here will like my suggestion or not, but it's a suggestion to think about if these other suggestions aren't an option...
Why not file her l&p down very thin and just let them grow out.....every couple of weeks give her a manicure and shorten them up a tad. That way you are avoiding chemicals altogether.

THIS IS THE BEST ADVICE I have read.

Just gently thin her nail enhancements out and shorten and shape. If there is no lifting then they will still look lovely, you will have restored the balance by keeping thin and she can still enjoy them until they are gone. You cannot take any chances in a situation like this.

By the way everyone .. for your information ... just because a product has little or no odour, does not mean that it has no vapours.

REMEMBER that Carbon Monoxide has no odour and is deadly. NO Odour does not mean safe!!!

Thank you very much Artsy Canadian and Geeg. You're most helpful!! :hug:

To buff the L&P off, was my first thought, as I wrote in the beginning. But I am not sure, if I can completely remove the acrylic off her nails.

There is no lifting, but after so many weeks, she has three broken nails, so I have to remove them all.

By the way everyone .. for your information ... just because a product has little or no odour, does not mean that it has no vapours.

REMEMBER that Carbon Monoxide has no odour and is deadly. NO Odour does not mean safe!!!
Thank you very much for this information Geeg :hug:. I will definitely not use Gel, she can have her nails back, after her pregnancy is over, or when the doctor allows it.

I will probably do this in the weekend, so I will let you know how it went.

It is a difficult situation and I was in a big dilemma of what to do, so thank you everyone for your advices.

Thank you very much Artsy Canadian and Geeg. You're most helpful!! :hug:

To buff the L&P off, was my first thought, as I wrote in the beginning. But I am not sure, if I can completely remove the acrylic off her nails.

There is no lifting, but after so many weeks, she has three broken nails, so I have to remove them all.

Thank you very much for this information Geeg :hug:. I will definitely not use Gel, she can have her nails back, after her pregnancy is over, or when the doctor allows it.

I will probably do this in the weekend, so I will let you know how it went.

It is a difficult situation and I was in a big dilemma of what to do, so thank you everyone for your advices.

You really do not need to remove every trace of the overlay. Just go as thin as you can without exposing the natural nail. By doing this, her nails will not be damaged by over-filing. It is very hard to tell the difference between the product and the natural nail when you are removing product by buffing so go VERY carefully and don't worry if there is still a thin layer left on.

Latest posts

Back