Acrylic solution fumes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessJen83

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm a newly qualified acrylic nail technician using NSI products and attraction liquid.
I know the solution fumes are strong but I am doing mobile work and I have a large beauty trolley that's all locked up but all I can always smell is the liquid.
I clean my glass pot out after every client.
My car smells of it, the house smells of it when I bring the case in.
This may sound stupid but there must be something I can do to stop it smelling I just don't get it???
Help!! Haha xxxx

Hello

I used to use NSI Attraction and have to say it is one of the lowest odored liquids I have come across so am surprised by your question.

I hope you don't take offence at my next question but here goes... Are you using official NSI Attraction bought from a trusted source?

If the answer is yes then maybe it is your waste, are you disposing of it as soon as possible? Is the lid on your liquid? Towels cleaned regularly... What about your clothes? Are you smelling it on yourself rather than from your case?

Hope some of this helps x

Hi. No offence taken I am open to any suggestions.
I buy my all acrylic products direct from NSI site. I empty my jar by soaking up the excess with tissue and binning it. Them I was out the jar.
It's not on my clothes, I put my towels straight in wash and the lid is tightly on with the bottle sprayed and cleaned after every use. It's packed well away but the smell is coming right through. I can still smell it in my car even after a day.
It might just be that I'm new to it and not used to the fume smell but I just got a bit concerned about it xx

I use NSI and even though it's low odour it's still too much odour.

If a clients house seems not well ventilated and their nails will work with it, I recommend gels instead where possible. This isn't always possible though so as a rule of thumb I just try to keep things as well ventilated as I possibly can.

Hi there,

just to clarify a 'fume' is the particles and vapour that are released from a chemical reaction such as burning..

what our monomer gives off is 'odour' - the smell of minute amounts of monomer that has evaporated into the air. Monomer is a low odour threshold chemical. IE you can smell it strongly even at tiny amounts..
The average strong smell of monomer is around 40 parts per million parts of air. In california (the strictest safety state) the maximum safe amount is 200 parts per million. So even if it smells strong, you are still very safe...

To reduce your odour try the following:
Don't wipe your brush on a paper towel - this spreads the liquid allowing more to evaporate. wipe on a plastic backed wipe (such as Grahams handsdown wipes)
Use a metal rubbish pin with a lid to hold the odour in.
In the car use a chilly bin - this will keep the odour in and keep your liquid at a stable temperature regardless of the weather...
And obviously only get out and dispense only as much monomer as you need just as you start application and pack it away as soon as finished..

hope that helps

NSI have an odour free liquid. It's called SPA. Maybe try and purchase a trial bottle and see what you think.

HTH

Hi everyone.
I'm a newly qualified acrylic nail technician using NSI products and attraction liquid.
I know the solution fumes are strong but I am doing mobile work and I have a large beauty trolley that's all locked up but all I can always smell is the liquid.
I clean my glass pot out after every client.
My car smells of it, the house smells of it when I bring the case in.
This may sound stupid but there must be something I can do to stop it smelling I just don't get it???
Help!! Haha xxxx

I'm slot more tolerant to it than when I first started, you do get used to it, I keep mine shut away in the house and I can't even smell it anymore but when u first started I felt like I couldn't get away from it!
X

NSI have an odour free liquid. It's called SPA. Maybe try and purchase a trial bottle and see what you think.

HTH

Brilliant!! I had no idea. Thanks so much xx

I'm slot more tolerant to it than when I first started, you do get used to it, I keep mine shut away in the house and I can't even smell it anymore but when u first started I felt like I couldn't get away from it!
X

Ok thanks. I did think it's prob just me being paranoid. I had asthma as a kid and scared of something starting it off again although my tutor in college said tho shouldn't happen and the chemicals are not harmful.
So hopefully before long I will get used to it too :) xx

Hi there,

just to clarify a 'fume' is the particles and vapour that are released from a chemical reaction such as burning..

what our monomer gives off is 'odour' - the smell of minute amounts of monomer that has evaporated into the air. Monomer is a low odour threshold chemical. IE you can smell it strongly even at tiny amounts..
The average strong smell of monomer is around 40 parts per million parts of air. In california (the strictest safety state) the maximum safe amount is 200 parts per million. So even if it smells strong, you are still very safe...

To reduce your odour try the following:
Don't wipe your brush on a paper towel - this spreads the liquid allowing more to evaporate. wipe on a plastic backed wipe (such as Grahams handsdown wipes)
Use a metal rubbish pin with a lid to hold the odour in.
In the car use a chilly bin - this will keep the odour in and keep your liquid at a stable temperature regardless of the weather...
And obviously only get out and dispense only as much monomer as you need just as you start application and pack it away as soon as finished..

hope that helps

Thanks for the free chemistry lesson!😉 Lol. But think u may of mis-read my question a bit. Just looking for simple solutions to why I may be smelling the liquid while it's locked away tightly.
xx 💖 xx

Just remember too. That smell...

It's the smell of money. Smell it and it means your making it...

Mines the same. I open my box and a strong smell appears. Everything is cleaned up, I got to store it up right, the lids seem dodgy and if it tilts it will leak and Im on my third bottle in 4 months.

Thanks for the free chemistry lesson!😉 Lol. But think u may of mis-read my question a bit. Just looking for simple solutions to why I may be smelling the liquid while it's locked away tightly.
xx 💖 xx
Because a monomer is a tiny particle and no bottle design can hold it all in

The amount to cause a strong smell is less than what's left when you have dried the neck of the bottle...
Your only solution is to store the bottle inside something else that contains the vapor. Hence a chilly bin for transport ...

I use nsi attraction and can always smell it in my box and in the car. I always clean everything out etc and can still smell it. Xx

Just remember too. That smell...

It's the smell of money. Smell it and it means your making it...

Ha ha ha I love this!!!!!! Very good point :) 💖💖

Because a monomer is a tiny particle and no bottle design can hold it all in

The amount to cause a strong smell is less than what's left when you have dried the neck of the bottle...
Your only solution is to store the bottle inside something else that contains the vapor. Hence a chilly bin for transport ...

Ahh I see what u mean. So even the slightest drop will smell strong.
What's a chilly bin and were do I find one? Xx

Think you might find a chilly bin is what we call a cool box?

Yep it's called something different in each country. In nz chilly bin is a brand so old we don't have any other name for them now.

It's the lined picnic box (hard shelled) that keeps your food cool in summer and warm in winter because if the insulation.

Perfect for protecting your nail predicts in the car and keeps the smells enclosed

Hope that helps

Thanks for all your ideas and advice people xx

Latest posts

Back