Acrylic strength please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, Everytime I get acrylic out to practice some nails I get really ill. My head spins and I feel sick. I've started using dust masks and it's not helping. Is there anything anyone can suggest or am I just not meant to do acrylic? I'm attending a sculpting in acrylic course tomorrow and am worried. Thanks in advance

Btw I do have the window open and the fan on. Space is well ventilated

What monomer are you using ?

What brand do you use? Xx

I was gonna ask what system your using? I use nsi attraction and quite often feel sick and get migraines after using it ! I'm not offering L&p now (only some regulars) and do hard gel enhancements instead x

How long have you had the liquid for ?
I had a bottle once that I hadnt used in ages, it was so potent the house was unbearable. Put it down to being old...

Would taking an allergy tablet in the morning help? I suffer with my sinuses after using gel, polish, shellac, the lot! Am dreading starting my acrylics course again after the holidays.

Not sure if this is similar to what you get hun but my nose gets so blocked it causes headaches and even my ears ache due to the fluid :O( I've started taking an allergy relief tablet in the morning if I know I'm going to be doing nails later in the day and wearing masks and I've found it really helps.

don't know if its going to work long term tho as my choice of career means I'll be popping pills everyday! I've heard some people recommend low odor products too, not sure if someone else has more information on these as I've literally had one acrylic class so far xx

Yes what brand is it? I find that it's the primer smell not the monomer and Nsi attraction isn't as bad as other brand I have used , they also have an order less one. Also magnetic nails stocks a uv acrylic and it's odour less .

Over exposure can cause loads of bad reactions over time , ur health is more important then making money so I would just see how you cope with this course and maybe try out hard gel and gel polishes have become very popular.

Beauty at your finger tips!

How are you working with the monomer?

Do you have a lid for your monomer dish?

Are you pouring out just enough for your service? Remember you can always pour a little more out if you need it but having too much poured out will greatly increase the smell of the liquid

Are you continuously wiping your brush on couch roll? This can increase the smell , try wiping it on a pad with scrubfresh or for NSI nail pure plus , this will cut down on the smell

Does your bin have a lid? This will cut it down :)

Do you use either a portable odour and dust extractor or one inbuilt into your desk? Or at least an air purify er in your room? If not, look into getting something, opening a window isnt enough.

Unfortunately dust masks aren't going to do anything to protect you from the effect of the odour/fumes because those masks are purely for prevention of dust inhalation, not odour inhalation. The odour will go straight through the mask fibers.
If you dont use an odour/fume extractor the only other thing I could suggest would be for you to get a mask which has an inbuilt carbon filter, you can get these from your local hardware store, painters and other tradies who work with chemicals use them. I used them before, they're bulky but quite effective.

Otherwise get yourself a fume extractor but be wary of the ones advertised purely for beauty work, sometimes they're a rip off, so overpriced. If you know an electrician who could safely wire one for you, you can actually make a portable one yourself for a fraction of the cost of commercial ones.
People who are into soldering make effective fume extractors all the time which uses an activated carbon filter (which you can make yourself) and a small fan a bit bigger than a computer fan to remove the fumes, in their case created from soldering but the principal is exactly the same for nails, it would double as a filter for fumes and dust extraction if you had a collection bag. Google DIY Fume Extractors for more info.

Not discounting the effect the odour is having on you, it's the nail dust though that's the most harmful to your lungs, not just from nail enhancements but even from filing natural nails. Biological dust from the hand and foot as you know carry bacteria and fungi and they can deposit in the eye area, nose and respiratory tract leading to all sorts of health issues, worse case scenario including irreversible allergic reactions in the respiratory system.

Some nail techs think these type of warnings is a bit over the top but do some research if you havent already, especially if you're already showing signs of being effected by the chemicals, your health is of utmost importance.

All the best :)

Rihanna is right ! I completely forgot I have a small leaf shaped air purifier next to my desk I completely forgot to or even thought that might have helped. Hahahhaha and my home one I change filter water only once 3 days but salon every day so duh . Hahahah I am so blond. Yes it's a simple but cheap system and looks pretty. Mine looks like a bowl of water and has a leaf shape on too u add ur own fragrance to it and it creates a suction and air runs throught water and it pumps out cleaner air.
End the day at salon my water is Yellow!!! My house my water sometimes goes grey (general dust) but not ever same colour.
Mine is called fabulous aire. But you can get them from chemist or something they not too badly priced.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Latest posts

Back