Acrylic tips vs acrylic sculptured extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorna

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, I'd be grateful for some advice/info/your views on this subject. Still new to this, done my training in UV acrylic gel and tips, now doing sculptured acrylic. Not done ony clients yet still practicing on friends and the nail trainer hand.

Can anyone of you experienced geeks give me advice on the correct answer If a client were to ask me what the advantages/dissadvantages would be between acrylic tips and overlay and acrylic scultpured nails, are there any?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Lorna

lorna said:
Hi there everyone, I'd be grateful for some advice/info/your views on this subject. Still new to this, done my training in UV acrylic gel and tips, now doing sculptured acrylic. Not done ony clients yet still practicing on friends and the nail trainer hand.

Can anyone of you experienced geeks give me advice on the correct answer If a client were to ask me what the advantages/dissadvantages would be between acrylic tips and overlay and acrylic scultpured nails, are there any?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Lorna

Hi Lorna

A couple of reasons I prefer sculpting rather than tips & overlays is:

1) I find it quicker to sculpt - than sizing tips, adhering then blending
2) There is less vibration (filing) on the natural nail as you don't have to blend the tips in
3) I find sculping much more artitistic and enjoy creating a full set from nothing (so to speak!)
4) I believe (however I may be wrong on this) that because you have 100% of the L&P on the nail plate (rather than on a portion of blended tip), you have a better bond as I use retention+ and this bonds with keratin in the nail plate.

However, saying that...I like to use tips & overlays for the following reasons:

1) Flat nails, bitten nails and ski jump nails work really well with tips to give them a nice upper arch and shape (try using with a gel adhesive for maximum benefits)
2) Some people prefer tips & overlays as the 'can't see how a sculpture can be as strong as a tip!!!'.....this is infact nonsense :green: as it's all down to proper mix ratio to give your enhancements strength.

Just my opinions, but hope this helps a little :) :)

Jenny
CND Master Technician

Hiya

Well i have to agree 100% with jenny. I much prefer to sculpt, the thing is tip and overlay is more widely offered so that is what clients recognise (imo because sculpting is a little harder to master a lot of tech's dont bother to learn) so its up to you to educate your client and explain why you are choosing which method. Dont just do it explain why you think tips or sculpts would be better for her.

I've been using tips and overlays for the last few years and always shied away from sculpting - until recently! For the last few weeks I've been practising doing sculptured nails instead of tip and overlay and I must say, I am converted! For all the reasons Jenny gives above.

For some reason I get a lot of nail biters, so I'm going to have to keep doing the tip and overlays for them, but apart from that, it's sculpting all the way for me! ;)

I have to say i only know tips and overlay but wish to learn sculpted. I have recently changed my system so will do a course on L&P with EZ Flow then i will do a course doing sculpts as i think its gotto be less time consuming, more artistic and definately a benefit to most clients.

talented talons said:
I have to say i only know tips and overlay but wish to learn sculpted. I have recently changed my system so will do a course on L&P with EZ Flow then i will do a course doing sculpts as i think its gotto be less time consuming, more artistic and definately a benefit to most clients.

hi

You will find a lot more profitable too! Tips are the largest proportion of cost doing tip and overlay.

I prefer to do full sculptured nails. My nail teacher in school was a master at sculptured. It is much quicker than sizing tips, adhering, and blending. But as Jenny said there are some folks who DO need tips.
Diya

yep, have to say sculpting is the route to go,for all the reasons already stated. Think time and profit ;)

Me to for sculpting - did a one 2 0ne yesterday with Tracey Stevenson its the way to go and really compliments the natural nail shape....i love it, its such a fab skill

Woohoo sculpted two nails on a paying client on Saturday - she much prefered them, she even commented they looked far more natural...yipee

Latest posts

Back