Acrylic training courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new here. I started doing acrylic extensions again, and I have decided to train so that I can be insured and after much practise, start taking my own clients.
I have been looking at all the options for training.. One of the options is The Nail School in West Midlands. http://www.thenailschool.co.uk

I just want to know if anyone has trained with them, and could recommend them?
I've had a little chat with them on the phone, and they were very friendly in answering my questions. I am looking to do the acrylics and e-filing course initially, as well as gel, manicure and pedicure. The certificates are accredited by ABT.

My other main option was The Beauty Academy. They also look good. I just want to know if people have experiences of these two options?
I am trying to do as much research as I can, so that I can make an informed choice. Thank you all :)

Hmmmm - they talk the talk but I certainly do not think you can learn everything involved in doing nail extensions in one day, which is their acrylic course. When I trained with CND a whole day was spent on learning how to select, apply and blend a tip, at least one day was spent on H&S, product knowledge and anatomy, not to mention application, shaping, etc. Rebalances were a seperate class later.

There are so many techs on here who have invested goid money in short courses and been left feeling cheated and adrift knowing they haven't got the best training because it has been crammed in to one day.

Do you have a link to The Beauty Acadamy?

Hi Trinity, thank you for your thoughts. https://www.thebeautyacademy.org/ - here is the link for The Beauty Academy. They have several centres nationwide. I may search the forums here, because I did see it mentioned on a thread somewhere, and the comments seemed good.

The other option was to do a VTCT at this college https://www.nptcgroup.ac.uk/courses/vrq-level-2-certificate-in-nail-treatments/
This is a year long course of one evening a week.
I would like to start training soon, so I hope I can finally make a decision.

Oh yeah, one more thing - am I right in assuming that a course that is accredited by ABT or another governing body shows that the course is legitimate and has met a high standard of practice? This must bear weight right?

Last edited:
Even though I am in Australia my course was done one night per week for a year.
We covered nail science, manicures, pedicures, health &safety, with the second part of the year covering acrylics then hard gel.
I agree with Trinity, a one day course is not long enough.

I would opt for the VTCT course at college. You'll get so much more hands on practice, as well as covering all the A&P and H&S. you'll also have a tutor on hand to guide you through all the pitfalls.

I did a 2 day acrylic course to see how I felt about doing acrylics, I loved it and I have now enrolled on the vtct L3 nail tec course at college. It's best to do the year long course as you cover more and it gives you a chance to get help from your tutor if you are struggling in any areas, if you get what I'm trying to say.

Hi Trinity, thank you for your thoughts. https://www.thebeautyacademy.org/ - here is the link for The Beauty Academy. They have several centres nationwide. I may search the forums here, because I did see it mentioned on a thread somewhere, and the comments seemed good.

The other option was to do a VTCT at this college https://www.nptcgroup.ac.uk/courses/vrq-level-2-certificate-in-nail-treatments/
This is a year long course of one evening a week.
I would like to start training soon, so I hope I can finally make a decision.

Oh yeah, one more thing - am I right in assuming that a course that is accredited by ABT or another governing body shows that the course is legitimate and has met a high standard of practice? This must bear weight right?

I checked out The Beauty Academy, same thing, their acrylic course is one day. Nope.

You could look at a brand specific training course with CND via SweetSquared, The Nail Team, The Creative Beauty Acadamy, and CJP are just a few of the best products available and those have great training reputations. You're looking at much more expensive courses but you'll get so much more for your money. You are investing in your future, your business and yourself, spend the money required, you're worth more than a cheapie

College is a valid route, it depends on how quickly you want to be qualified, if you have a year to sort things and get everything lined up then a college course is perfectly acceptable. If you want to move quickly, an intensive 2/3 week course maybe the better route. College courses are cheaper, again, you chose what fits with your circumstances. Remember, this is the foundation of your business for the rest of your career, don't skimp.

Okay, thanks for the advice everyone. I honestly want to do things the right way. I will attend the open evening for the VTCT in college - I'm told that the next one is next month, and that the course begins in September. They also offer shorter courses for certain areas such as gel polish application. I wouldn't mind doing other shorter courses to supplement my training.
I am very excited to get the ball rolling training-wise, but I am also enjoying my personal learning and practice.
I will also look up those training options that you mentioned Trinity.

Latest posts

Back