Acrylics and MMA (concerned customer)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_jazmin_

Reaction score
Hi,
i was hoping i could get some help with a problem that's been troubling me. I recently got acrylic nails done, french tip kind. I really like them, (i'm a nail biter trying to break the habit.) i've never had nails before and was extremely happy to finally get acrylics. Fiannly feel like a real lady. Well i got home and did a little research and came across MMA. i trust the professionals on this site know what that this horrible ingredient is. Anyways, i didn't ask the nail tech if she used it or not because i didn't know about it then. I know one of the tellatale signs are that the nails are extremely hard when they are made with MMA and can only be filed with a drill. i can file these acrylics with a regular drugstore file. Is this a good sign. The nail tech also filed them with a regular file and only sigtly roughed up my nails beforehand with an electric file. Also acrylics made with MMA are inexpensive correct? I paid $40 canadian for mine, was this enough?
I would greatly appreciate any input into this matter, i'm really worried and don't want to go back and get them filled if they are MMA based. I just wanted to break my bad habit, and hope i didn't get int anything i will regret :cry:
Thanks for your time!

Where did you go and where do you live? Do you know what system they use? Is the white tip sprayed on?

Everything sounds good until I got to the point where you said she roughened up your nail with the drill (I assume u mean electric file?) this could be A, a lazy tech (e-files should never touch the natural nail) or it could indeed be MMA being used as they need to file your nail till its pink and squishy before the MMA product will adhear. so.. up until u said .. E-file - roughened up nails.. I would have said EMA product... but whos to know.. where the pots on the desk and bottle of liquid labled with a name?

One tell tail sign if you are not a technician is that, when you file the overlay enough to creat dust, it smells horrible! A bit fishy.

thanks for your input, i'll answer the questions you asked me for a little more clarification.
No the tip isn't sprayed on it was glued on then the acrylic was layed overtop, and i live in ontario canada.
also when she roughened up my nails it wasn't to the point of being pink or squishy, or anywhere through the nail bed. i've seen sum pictures of what nails filed to be used with MMA look like, mine didn't look that way, almost like rings, if i'm not mistaken? Mine where just kind of scratched up. I'm hoping that she was lazy or trying to do it quickly, i came in without an appointment and she squeezed me in between appointments, was she perhaps in a hurry?
I have filed them myself with a regualr file, but not fast enough or quick enough to create dust but they do file. just to round them out a little, she filed them with a regular file and created a lot of dust, i don't recall it smelling bad tho. I also didn't catch the name on he bottles, but the container with the pink powder that's mixed to create the acrylic did have a name on it, i didn't catch it tho.

thanks again

Hi,

You could always call the technician who did your nails and ask her what product she used (i.e. brand name).

As for electric files, some technicians use Efiles even though they don't use MMA products. Some just prefer an efile over a normal file.

There is a big debate over efiles as in the wrong hands they can cause a lot of damage, but in the right hands, they are OK. I think in the nail world there will only ever be two camps - those that approve of efiles and those that don't !

If you don't feel comfortable with the product, just ring her and ask. If she uses a reputable product, she won't have any issues in telling you what she uses.

Marlise

As for electric files, some technicians use Efiles even though they don't use MMA products. Some just prefer an efile over a normal file.

There is a big debate over efiles as in the wrong hands they can cause a lot of damage, but in the right hands, they are OK. I think in the nail world there will only ever be two camps - those that approve of efiles and those that don't !

I'm Pro E-file and I am a CND tech.... the thing that glares out the most here is it being used on the natural nail.. now any tech worth their salt knows an e-file doesnt go anywhere near the natural nail.

So in the case of post one... I'd say... lazy tech.... silly thing is thou it actually can take more time to "buzz" the nail plate (no never done it but observed another tech do it) with the E-file than it does to gently buff off the shine with a manual abrasive.

Latest posts

Back