Acrylics left on over 3 months (no refill)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,

I’ve kept my acrylic nails on all through the latest UK lockdown and not had any refills so the regrowth is a lot :O
I filed the ‘ledge’ of acrylic down 6 weeks ago to try and prevent too much unevenness but didn’t want to get rid of all of it as I find without any acrylic base my nails break and split.
At present none of them have broken off but looking at them I’m concerned they look wonky and that I may have damaged their natural growth with the acrylic. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 6561D16A-D8D6-4B73-BFC3-02E8FE6292FD.jpeg
    6561D16A-D8D6-4B73-BFC3-02E8FE6292FD.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 136
Hey,

I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at here? Are these acrylic extensions grown out that you have painted over yourself at home?

I would ask your nail tech first, to see what they want you to do. But I would cut them down pretty short and book in for an infill

Thanks for your reply.
These aren’t extensions - they are my own natural nails which I had an acrylic overlay put on at the end of December. The line you see is where the acrylic has grown up to and yes I Have painted over the nails with a polish of my own.
I didn’t remove the acrylic as I wanted to maintain the strength acrylic offers and I didn’t file them down much as I prefer to keep them long.
Why do you think I need to file them down short? Is it not possible for nail techs to remove the acrylic layer and then simply shorten the nails slightly before repainting?

Ah sorry I didn't realise this was your natural length.

Yes the tech can simply soak off the acrylic and hopefully leave your natural nails in tact, depending on their condition underneath the acrylic. Although unless your natural nails are super strong, I don't think polish-only is suitable at that length. You would need acrylic to support the length.

I'm not sure I'm allowed to explain the technicality of it, but you could cause damage to your natural nails if you let acrylic grow out that much.

Thank you - I’m hoping that can happen as I don’t want to have to cut my nails right down and rely on extensions tips!
My only concern is as you have mentioned - could I have damaged my natural nails through keeping the acrylic unmaintained and growing you for so long? 😳😱 I have noticed the nails seem to be pointing in a more downward direction but I wonder whether this could be slight illusion as the acrylic makes them look unbalanced. I have also read that this can be normal for nails once they reach a certain length?

Attachments

• 45E2DCA5-C40E-437D-8EFF-7BFFFEF78AA7.jpeg
    45E2DCA5-C40E-437D-8EFF-7BFFFEF78AA7.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 81
They could be damaged, but you won't know until the acrylic comes off.

You are best off messaging your nail tech for advice :)

The reason we’re suggesting that you cut your nails shorter is because the acrylic has grown out too far causing a weak spot. If you catch your nail, it could rip to where the acrylic finishes, (halfway up your nail bed) and that would cause serious nail trauma.

I didn’t remove the acrylic as I wanted to maintain the strength acrylic offers and I didn’t file them down much as I prefer to keep them long.

Letting nails this long grow out with acrylic still on can compromise your natural nails. The product makes the enhancements top heavy and can cause weak point on your natural nail such as splitting on the side walls.
To save the integrity of your natural nails my advice would be to get refills so the nail tech can rebalance them. If this is not possible, then soaking off the remaining acrylic or filing it thin and shortening your nails might be the way to go.
I hope this helps answer your question.

To add to my previous reply having so little acrylic on the nail plate can most definitely damage nails. You won't know unless like AcidPerm stated your nails snap off or you have the acrylic removed.

Thanks everyone for your advice - I ended up having them cut down and tips out on each of them - hopefully my natural nails will redevelop their strength soon!

Latest posts

Back