Acrylics nor Shellac will stay on!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitzyGlam08

Reaction score
I'm about a month in at my new job.. and I am now booth rental. At the previous salon we had to use Opi acrylic. The girls I work with do my hair services and I do their nails.. And I have not had any trouble with nails lifting or anything until now. It made me think it was my monomer or acrylic ..but it's only one girl in particular. The other girl's nails are just fine. I do everything the same and can't figure out why they keep coming off. I have now done 2 full sets on her, both off within a week. She is a frequent hand washer.. Washing them after every haircut she does .. I know that might have something to do with it but sill don't think they should be popping right off. Last week I did Shellac on her and the day before I did Shellac on another girl I work with.. The first set I did I removed the shine with a file (how I was taught at my previous shop -which I now know is wrong) then on the second girl I did (the one who's nails kept popping off) I did her Shellac the way that the Shellac website says. Used a product that cleans and dehydrates the nail plate.. Then applied the Shellac, making sure not to touch the edges or cuticle.. Well her Shellac has came off too.. The other girl's is still on and doing fine.. Please help?!

Unfortunately, some people just can't keep anything on their nails. My BFF cannot wear Shellac, L&P or Brisa gel.

Last edited:
Neither can I keep anything on for long, my nails are naturally very dry and flakey! I wear shellac and am extremely grateful that I have found something that lasts more than a few days!xx

I have a client who simply can't keep anything on! She has a naturally oily nail plate!! :-/ x

Is there anything else I can try? I don't want to be defeated by this.. Lol .. I'm trying to think, if this were a real client she would be very unsatisfied..

I don't know if this will help at all...but I shellac'ed my mom the first time and it only stayed on for a week...the second time I did Shellac...I made sure she used her Solar Oil...and it stayed on for 17 days without a single chip or anything in it. The only place it was even showing anything was at the grow out area. I don't know if it will help, but i have heard that people have had much more success when using Solar Oil along with their Shellac...might be worth a try??

Being a hairdresser with her hands constantly in the water is the problem, let me explain why

Water passes through a nail plate nearly 1000 time quicker than skin. The nail plate can absorb nearly 60% of it's mass in water. When it does this, for some people, it can actually swell a huge amount.

If you apply anything while it's swollen the product sets to this shape and them seals the nail.

The nail then dehydrates and shrinks back to it's original shape and the product does not follow. Hence it's now not attached..,

This doesn't happen dramatically for everyone, but some are impossibly different.

I would suggest doing her nails at the end of her day off when they are not so swollen...

Good luck

Ahh, Envy .. Everything is starting to make sense now, lol. Thank you, I really appreciate it.

Not a problem. It's a real curly problem that one. It took me a long time to put two and two together many years ago to figure it out :)

Well I honestly thought it could have been the reason .. Both times I did her acrylics, it was in the middle of the work day, ..same with Shellac, so like I said it makes perfect sense!

How long do you suggest we wait once she is done with her last client ..so that her natural nails have a chance to return to normal?

it depends on several variables - mostly the individuals nail plate structure and porosity/ability to absorb and swell...

24 hours of only minimal water contact should make a huge difference

I try and always book lift prone hairdressers in at either:
the end of their day off
before they start after their weekend/day off

hth's

Being a hairdresser with her hands constantly in the water is the problem, let me explain why

Water passes through a nail plate nearly 1000 time quicker than skin. The nail plate can absorb nearly 60% of it's mass in water. When it does this, for some people, it can actually swell a huge amount.

If you apply anything while it's swollen the product sets to this shape and them seals the nail.

The nail then dehydrates and shrinks back to it's original shape and the product does not follow. Hence it's now not attached..,

This doesn't happen dramatically for everyone, but some are impossibly different.

I would suggest doing her nails at the end of her day off when they are not so swollen...

Good luck

Excellent information. Just why we need experienced people like yourself on this site. Info like this once learnt is never forgotten and always passed on.

Thank you very much. :biggrin:

Excellent information. Just why we need experienced people like yourself on this site. Info like this once learnt is never forgotten and always passed on.

Thank you very much. :biggrin:

You're most welcome chick
Always happy to share

envy you're a mine of information. thanks

Latest posts

Back