Acrylics on a 15yr old for school prom?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there,

just wanted your opinions on whether you would apply acrylics on a 15yr old? It would be for a school prom - the mother has left a message for me asking about it for later in the year..

Never been asked to put them on an under 16 yet and i always say no when people have asked in general about it.. but what would you do if it was just for a special occasion?

thanks!

I would....not for my daughter...but if its someone else's then who am i to say they ain't allowed. If her mother is ok with it then why not.

i have for one of my friends daughters but it made it easier for me as i knew them.
if your unsure you can always get the mother to come and sign something(cant remember whats its called) to say that she understands about the things that could go wrong e.g if the daughters bites them and damages her own nails and see what your insurance says you have to do.x

hiya, thanks for the replies.

I have rung my ins. company and they said i am covered to do them but they say that disclaimers etc arent worth the paper they're written on and that if the girl wanted to make a claim she would have until she is 18 + another 3yrs once she reaches 18..

Im confident that I wouldnt cause any damage - but that doesnt mean she wouldnt do anything herself and then lay a claim :eek: - thats a risk we all have with every client...!
They said it is down to me to decide using my proffessional judgement! It's such a grey area sometimes though isnt it! lol x

i agree it is a grey area and i honestly dont know what i would do.
a disclamer is what i was thinking off but if its not worth anything is there any point or is still it still worth doing it to almost put the mother off if she was thinking about trying something iykwim.
its definately a tough one.
im sure another tech will give you some advice.
i do remember there being a thread on a similar thing to this so you could also do a search and see if you find anything helpful in the other threads.x

If you dont do them she'll just go elsewhere and get them done anyway! at least you know you're doing a good job and not trashing her nails

I would use your own judgement, if your insurance company are happy for you to do them,

I was doing my own nails at 14 (just blended tips mind you, but could have caused plenty of damage,)
I would have LOVED for my mum to have had the money for me to have my nails done and i WOULD have looked after them and it would have saved me putting my own at risk.

She may be a very responsible 15 year old, I was only 16 when I had a baby and I coped lol. so maybe this girl will manage perfectly well with her nails.
Maybe speak with her mum and explain the responsibility to her see if she thinks her daughter will be capable of looking after them.

I really think only you can decide though hun :hug:

I would do them but have the mother & the daughter sign the client card....& give good aftercare leaflet xx

She'll be fine ...

I would have no problem doing them with parental consent :) as said in past posts the young ones usually look after them better !
if she is not going to have them on for long i would charge and book her in for removal when you put the set on :)
Good luck xx

If you dont do them she'll just go elsewhere and get them done anyway! at least you know you're doing a good job and not trashing her nails

i agree with this 100%, at least youknow what you are doing, have the relevant qualifications and can advise her on how to look after them correctly.

i do themfor proms and just spend abit longer on consultation to explain what the pros and cons are and what they must NOT do with them. maybe prepare a leaflet for her to take away with the after care on
hth

I had a 15 year old client the other week i just made sure the parent/guardian signed a consent form so im covered.

I have had a couple of under 16's. I do get both parent and daughter to sign the client consultation card, but I also insist of a letter of authorisation from the parent, which I then attach to the client's consultation card.

I agree, if we refuse they will only go to a Non Standard Nail bar and who knows what damage thay may casue.

Also, it's worth remebering that these young girls could be future clients.
:lol:

I agree with mollylolly.

I do treatments on my 13 year old daughter, and have various friends coming over for tea and treatments! I always insist on skin tests, parental consent and parental authorisation.

Teenage girls know their own minds and quite often have a surprising amount of disposable income - or are very good at pestering parents. My daughter is one of the most popular girls in school because of me lol!

Seriously though - parents seem quite pleased that it's 'me' treating their daughter i.e. friend's mum, rather than a stranger in a salon they know nothing about.

I'm doing nail enhancements on my sister and 9 of her friends for prom, most of them are 16 but a couple are still only 15. Ive just made up a package where they can have them put on and then taken off a week later, before they go back to school, including a mini manicure and polish. they'll all have a parental signature on their record cards. xxx

Hi there,

just wanted your opinions on whether you would apply acrylics on a 15yr old? It would be for a school prom - the mother has left a message for me asking about it for later in the year..

Never been asked to put them on an under 16 yet and i always say no when people have asked in general about it.. but what would you do if it was just for a special occasion?

thanks!

Emily I haven't read all replies yet but this is BIG business and you would be CRAZY not to. MINX is literally flying off the shelves due to this too. You have to educate and get them to come back in for a soak off and manicure if you can but seriously - this is a no-brainer business wise!

Go for it! You may get a lot of her friends booking for the same occasion and afterwards too.

If the parents have no problem then neither do I, I did a 15 y/olds last month who suffers from alopecia. Her school gave her special permission to have them because of this and it made her feel better (more feminine you know) bless her, she was so chuffed.

Just go for it!
She'll be over the moon show off to her friends who will all want them done for special occassions- remember these could possibly be your regulars in few months/years. :)

I do nails on a few 15 yr old girls and this has been big business for me, I now have about 10 of them to do for their end of year prom. Plus ive just introduced minx which is another thing they all want done!!
xx

I actually have a client coming in this morning that is 13!!!! I dont like to idea of putting enhancements on someone so young, but I make both parent and child sign a release form and I explain all the dangers involved. Any client under 18 has to be accompanied by a parent or else I wont do it.

when you do the consultation how do you explain the pros and cons to someone of this sort of age, obviously you wouldnt patronise them but surely youd have to explain it slightly differently??

Latest posts

Back