Acrylics on a client with an allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*aan*

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a client booked in for a full set of acrylics on Thursday next weekfor her wedding on the Saturday.

She has anaphylaxis allergies to chlorhexidine gluconate and latex.

I've checked my msds sheets and i cant see any of the above words in the products I will be using.

I have booked her in on Monday to do 1 nail and watch for a few days if its ok before her appointment on Thursday.

But im still so nervous something is going to go wrong and she's going to have a reaction and end up in hospital or try to sue me or something. Its such a big responsibility and I don't feel experienced enough to do her confidently.

Does any one have any tips or any procedures they follow for clients with allergies. Do they have to sign disclaimers?

I keep thinking of cancelling as its keeping me up at night. but she booked in 1st of May and its the last thing I want to do .

Last edited:
If your in any doubt about if these are in your products. Ring the product manfactor to double check. Better safe than sorry.

I did ring them and Nsi just said if I've checked my msds sheets then I'll be fine didn't even ask what the allergy's were.

Then I posted on nsi facebook page and was told similar again.

this has made me want to convert too cnd asap as the Bournemouth academy girls are awesome sooo much more helpful on the phone. But that doesn't help me for this client eek!

well i've just googled them and it says

Gluconate is a black compound used in iron supplements

chlorhexidine is as a chemical antiseptic

and well latex is obviously rubber.

So this re-assures me a bit but im still so nervous

Perhaps the client should have given you a letter from her doctor to say it is okay to do acrylics on her.
And you also need to check if this chlorhexidine is in your sani prep:eek:

I've just triple checked and definitely cant see the words mentioned in my sani products.

Ouch Its very close now. would that cover my back if anything happened?

I could say I've checked with my Insurance and they require a doctors letter

I've just triple checked and definitely cant see the words mentioned in my sani products.

Ouch Its very close now. would that cover my back if anything happened?

I could say I've checked with my Insurance and they require a doctors letter

I would personally get a doctors letter from your client first before you do anything

I would ring her and ask her for a doctors letter to confirm that it is okay to do acrylics on her..Lets face it who would you wanna kill the bride before her wedding day:eek: lol oops

hahaha oospie!

Im thinking of cancelling I really don't feel comfortable doing this set. Her mum is booked in too on the same night. She will probably cancel too.

I might say I've googled her allergy's and as one is an antiseptic product. That i really don't feel comfortable doing her nails. And give her the name of 2 of my friends who are nail tech

Even if I had a dr's note something could still happen couldn't it if I hadn't checked properly.

hahaha oospie!

Im thinking of cancelling I really don't feel comfortable doing this set. Her mum is booked in too on the same night. She will probably cancel too.

I might say I've googled her allergy's and as one is an antiseptic product. That i really don't feel comfortable doing her nails. And give her the name of 2 of my friends who are nail tech

Even if I had a dr's note something could still happen couldn't it if I hadn't checked properly.
i always say follow your heart and if your not comfortable then i guess you do what is right for you
:lol:

Unfortunatley doing 1 nail as a sort of patch test will not really help you. An anaphylactic reaction generally happens straight away.

I would ask her if she has an epi pen in case of anaphylactic shock and if so to bring it with her. Let her know that you have checked all of your msds and have not come across the things she has listed but better to be safe then sorry.

The only thing would be the sanitising agents. Chlorhexidine is pretty common antiseptic.

The doctors letter would be a good idea i think and definitley a call to your insurance company. You may not be covered if you go ahead with the treatment knowing she had allergies and didnt have doctors clearance. if she had a reaction and had not told you her allergies that would be different. Thats why we have insurance but prior knowledge might mean they dont want you to risk it. They may advise you not to do it at all. Insurance companies arent really known for taking chances lol

however id imagine that if you got the doctors note from your client to say it was okay to do acrylics on her if anything did happen it would be the doctors fault cos you got GP referal

Unfortunatley doing 1 nail as a sort of patch test will not really help you. An anaphylactic reaction generally happens straight away.

I would ask her if she has an epi pen in case of anaphylactic shock and if so to bring it with her. Let her know that you have checked all of your msds and have not come across the things she has listed but better to be safe then sorry.

The only thing would be the sanitising agents. Chlorhexidine is pretty common antiseptic.

The doctors letter would be a good idea i think and definitley a call to your insurance company. You may not be covered if you go ahead with the treatment knowing she had allergies and didnt have doctors clearance. if she had a reaction and had not told you her allergies that would be different. Thats why we have insurance but prior knowledge might mean they dont want you to risk it. They may advise you not to do it at all. Insurance companies arent really known for taking chances lol

Thank you for this information, I do not know anything about allergies. I will google epi pens next I've never heard of them.

I think I will ring my insurance for future knowledge. But i will go with my gut instinct and cancel I think.

Ok just got off the phone to my Insurance and they have advised that it is down too the nail techs discretion as we are the professionals who are trained and know more on the ins and outs, also down to my gut instinct and if I don't feel comfortable don't do it as its not worth the risk.

She also said in future firstly always follow product manufacture instructions (if you ignore them you leave your self open).

Get a doctors note.

Always get the client to fill in a record card with it all written down.

Lastly that disclaimers aren't worth the paper they are written on so don't bother with one of those apparently they don't hold up in court as the client could say well I didn't know what I was signing and the judge will state you are the professional you should know.

Thanks everyone for replying, and wish i had thought of ringing my insurers 2 months ago when she booked :( Will Chalk it down to a experience.

Last edited:
Hi, I can understand you not wanting to do them. Your insurance company is right you cant exclude or limit liability for death or personal injury in law, it would be totally invalid.

The most important issue is the clients reaction, anaphylaxis isnt just an allergic reaction, its potentially fatal!! If you'd rather not do acrylics could you offer her another treatment? I know she wants to look nice for her wedding but its not worth risking killing herself over really. Perhaps you could do a dry prep, buff solar oil into her nails then give them a good going over with a buffer to make them super shiny, and put her a couple of diamante's on (as long as you check the adhesive is ok), or if she's ok with nail polish do her a mani & polish?

Hi, I can understand you not wanting to do them. Your insurance company is right you cant exclude or limit liability for death or personal injury in law, it would be totally invalid.

The most important issue is the clients reaction, anaphylaxis isnt just an allergic reaction, its potentially fatal!! If you'd rather not do acrylics could you offer her another treatment? I know she wants to look nice for her wedding but its not worth risking killing herself over really. Perhaps you could do a dry prep, buff solar oil into her nails then give them a good going over with a buffer to make them super shiny, and put her a couple of diamante's on (as long as you check the adhesive is ok), or if she's ok with nail polish do her a mani & polish?

That is exactly right. An anaphylactic reaction is the most severe form of allergic reaction a person can have. Their airway swells causing obstruction and inability to breathe. This can happen within seconds of being exposed to the allergen. Anybody with an anaphylaxix allergy should be in posession of an epi pen. This is a device that looks like a big thick pen. It has a needle tip and injects a dose of epinephrine to counter the allergic reaction. They need to get this injection as quickly as possible after the reaction begins...minutes can be too long! Even after administering the injection and breathing becomes more regulated, they still need to be taken to hospital for to be checked out.

I know a person who has a deadly allergy to nuts. He will die if he eats even a fragment of one and if he is even in the same room as a nut he will break out in a rash. He does not have an epi pen. Which to me is foolish and risky. Not everyone who is anaphylactic has the pen because they are quite expensive, need to be kept cool and have an expiry date. usually they end up getting thrown away and a new needs buying so they let it go.

Latest posts

Back