Adding bleach to a tint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbradley936

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new and have a question. Why would you add a half teaspoon of bleach powder to a 9 shade tint mixed with 30 Vol peroxide? Why not use say a shade 10 with a 40 vol? the client has a base of shade 8 all over (roots touched every 4 weeks) and then shade 6 and shade 9 approx every 4 months as foils. The senior colourist added bleach last time and I am too shy to ask why. I do not want to appear foolish if I should already know the answer.

Thanks

Hello,

I am new and have a question. Why would you add a half teaspoon of bleach powder to a 9 shade tint mixed with 30 Vol peroxide? Why not use say a shade 10 with a 40 vol? the client has a base of shade 8 all over (roots touched every 4 weeks) and then shade 6 and shade 9 approx every 4 months as foils. The senior colourist added bleach last time and I am too shy to ask why. I do not want to appear foolish if I should already know the answer.

Thanks

Hi, I assume this was for the foils ?
I have heard of stylists adding a small scoop of bleach to light pure blonde base shades or to pure blonde high lift tints to give them a bit of boost,
for the foils
but you can't do this with tints that have a tone in them as it usually turns pink and kills all the tone,

the stylist may have done this to get rid of any tint or dark semi residue on the hair as tint by itself will not lift tint ,

I would definately ask her as that is the best way to learn
I'm sure she won't mind sharing :hug: x minky

blimey, i used to do this years ago ! i thought it'd give it a kick, i didnt know others did it ! i still think it might give an extra punch BUT seeing as bleach takes colour out and hi lift tint can lighten AND add colour at the same time i'm not sure thet i might have got it wrong !

i only do this with high lift tint and it aint a half scoop it jus a tiny sprinkly, it usually does turn pink but if it stays pink its too much been added, if it goes pink briefly and returns to its original colour it is jus enuff to give it that extra lift u desire. . x

Thanks for the replies. Yes it was for the foils. I did ask her and she said the client had used one of those root touch ups on her temples and parting because she was going somewhere nice and could not get into the salon.

never be afraid to ask! ive been hairdressing 5 years and still the best way to learn is to ask. I even ask the junior stylists sometimes what they are doing to get different techniques!

Latest posts

Back