Adding oil to acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

St311ar

Reaction score
I use bio sculpture gel and OPI Axxium as well as gelish and shellac. I always soak off each client and use the foil wrap method. Bio sculpture offers a soak off solution and when I looked at the ingredients it was acetone and fragrance yet they charge $55 for a gallon!!! So I use straight acetone now. I saw somewhere on here that techs are adding olive oil to their acetone to help drying out clients skin. Do you add anything to your acetone? If so what do you add? Will the oil affect the gel application in any way? I use scrubfresh and NAS99 for prep.

If I'm using wraps to remove then I don't add any thing as I've not got the whole finger in it , it's alot more direct with the wrap method the acetone is only really touching the nail and side walls,
And your only using a tiny amount of acetone , so a gallon should go a long way.
If I'm removing and then straight away reapplying (like with shellac) then I don't add any oil as I find the more dehydrated the nail is the better.
However if im removing a full set of say L&P and NOT putting anything else on and I'm using the soak off in a bowl type method where the fingers totally submerged then I may add a tiny bit of solar oil for the skin.

One of the benefits of using professional products is that although it may say acetone one the label, it is acetone with a difference, which is that the acetone molecules have been 'buffered' chemically to be less drying to the skin than straight acetone.

I know many techs read a label and think, oh, that's the same stuff :eek: but that is definitely not true. For instance I remember one tech telling me she was buying industrial grade acetone from the hardware store and using it on her clients as the label said acetone and therefore to her it must've been the same. Well it isn't. There is refined acetone and unrefined acetone and unbuffered acetone and buffered acetone and all the labels say acetone.

I really do think as pros we should stick to pro products and not try to be chemists ... It is the safest way, if more expensive. Expense doesn't really matter, if you factor it into the your prices for your services.

are these wraps people are referring too, the ones I'll be getting with my shellac?

CND wraps are not foil. They are also logged up and look very cool. The foil ones are cheaper which you may see as a disadvantage, and the slight drawback to them is that they are not as tight to the finger and do tend to slip off sometimes. Having said that, I use both.

I use the CND wraps for Shellac exclusively and I use the foil wraps for the every day things like for the odd nail that needs to be soaked off rather than repaired. Sweet Squared sell both types.

One of the benefits of using professional products is that although it may say acetone one the label, it is acetone with a difference, which is that the acetone molecules have been 'buffered' chemically to be less drying to the skin than straight acetone.

I know many techs read a label and think, oh, that's the same stuff :eek: but that is definitely not true. For instance I remember one tech telling me she was buying industrial grade acetone from the hardware store and using it on her clients as the label said acetone and therefore to her it must've been the same. Well it isn't. There is refined acetone and unrefined acetone and unbuffered acetone and buffered acetone and all the labels say acetone.

I really do think as pros we should stick to pro products and not try to be chemists ... It is the safest way, if more expensive. Expense doesn't really matter, if you factor it into the your prices for your services.

I get my acetone from my local Salon supply store or from NSI... how do I know that it's buffered?, or can I just assume that it is because I'm ordering from a professional company?

This is something I've often worried about, especially as last year when I ordered my acetone from NSI, I got a very strong smell of petrol from it... honestly... it really smelled like petrol!! :eek:

I've ordered from them since and it smelled fine... can anyone shed some light for me?

I get my acetone from my local Salon supply store or from NSI... how do I know that it's buffered?, or can I just assume that it is because I'm ordering from a professional company?

This is something I've often worried about, especially as last year when I ordered my acetone from NSI, I got a very strong smell of petrol from it... honestly... it really smelled like petrol!! :eek:

I've ordered from them since and it smelled fine... can anyone shed some light for me?

If it is product remover form NSI then I would expect it to be buffered Acetone.

Sorry, I cannot shed any light as to why it smelled of petrol.

Lastly, unbuffered Acetone leaves the skin and the nail surface pretty noticeably white and visible dehydrated. I have seen it look almost like a white crust on the skin.

If it is product remover from NSI then I would expect it to be buffered Acetone.

Sorry, I cannot shed any light as to why it smelled of petrol.

Lastly, unbuffered Acetone leaves the skin and the nail surface pretty noticeably white and visible dehydrated. I have seen it look almost like a white crust on the skin.

Thank you for that!

Isn't that odd, cause I just had the opposite happen to me.
I finally used all my old acetone and I opened up my new NSI container and it didn't smell hardly at all and I could even feel the difference in the consistency of the fluid and it was not as drying.
I was that surprised I even dragged my husband out to have a look/smell cause I was really happy that it didn't knock my socks off with stinky smell:)

The acetone I buy is from a professional beauty salon here in the states. Thanks for all the feedback! I will stick to just the acetone without the oil.

Latest posts

Back